Games you are looking forward to

Gorth

Oh wait, add FEAR 2 to the list. And Gears 2. And then Call of Duty 5.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Whatever. I guess you won't buy Alan Wake. Good for you. I really don't care that you aren't interested in the G-A-M-E. haha Good for you.

I dunno. The game might be pretty good.

Personally, I thought the name of the thread was "Games you are looking forward to," not "useless and pointless carping as per usual."

Perhaps some tie in between trailer and game might be in order, then? Post a trailer and talk about why it makes you anticipate the game? I've explained that trailers that show no aspect of my potential interaction with the game don't help me very much with forming an opinon of a game.

Yeah, Alan Wake looks good. I suspect that is the major selling point for the game. But good-looking games are the norm nowadays. There's almost no need to even mention that a "game looks great" at this point. They all look great.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Oh wait.

Add Halo 3: Recon to the list.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I just found out STALKER is coming to Gametap next month. I'm pretty excited about that, I always meant to pick it up, and now I don't have to.

Clear Sky or SoC?

Strix, how did you manage to turn the picture into your sig? I would like to do the same if possible... and with the same picture! :lol:

This should work:

[img*]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/1526/securom2gu8.png[/img*]

;)

*Remove these.

Thanks! :lol:

Post a trailer and talk about why it makes you anticipate the game?

I think people post trailers of games that they are already anticipating, rather than a particular trailer being the reason they are interested. Personally I'm interested in Alan Wake because I'm a survival horror whore and I'm intrigued by the apparent open-worldness of the game. So far the trailers for AW haven't featured anything that has blown me away.

But good-looking games are the norm nowadays. There's almost no need to even mention that a "game looks great" at this point. They all look great.

Define "good-looking". Not all games are at the same technological level, and not all games have good art direction. I'd say if you honestly think all games look great, then you are simply easily pleased.

I've intentionally waited to respond to you earlier Crashgirl because I was so irritated I thought I'd be rude, which isn't cool.

Like Hell Kitty, I like survival horror. I also think that the developer got the feel right in the Max Payne shooter, and so I'm looking forward to seeing how they do with something that looks like a purer survival horror title. ...And so, when I saw that it was a Remedy title, I went to the webpage. For my part, I didn't say I was excited by the trailer. I posted that I was excited after I went to the designer webpage. Looking at the story and seeing that they might get back some of the original Max Payne mojo, I figured I'd make the purchase.

This is something like the big argument about reviewer scores. I don't want to open that can of worms again, and I don't think it would fair to you if I did. However, I do want to go back to one point that came up during the conversation.

I'm pretty optimistic about games. I know some folks think that, if you don't have something nasty to say about every title, then you're either weak willed, a shill, or in the pocket of game publishers everywhere. Hey, I like the mean spirited English guy who does the fast talking reviews as much as anyone. I always think they're funny. I don't always think they're insightful or accurate. This en vogue attitude that says you have to talk down every game kind of baffles me.

I haven't been around here long, and so I don't expect anyone to really care about my attitude or anything, but I try to find something good about most games. That doesn't mean I don't view them critically or that I'm unwilling to voice that criticism. Hell, look at how much I've praised Fallout 3. I think it's one of the best titles in a long time and certainly the best title I've purchased this year. Even then, I've had a variety of complaints about it, ranging from picayune points regarding profanity to larger arguments about the dialogue in general. Hell, it's not even that I feel the need to find something to criticize in every game. I always do, but you can rest assured that, should I ever find the perfect game, I will be willing to say that it's perfect in every way. That's what frustrates me. Sometimes I feel like folks are compelled to lay down complaints about games simply to establish street cred. That's not pointed at you, Crashgiril, but it is an observation about some of the things I see online. If the point is to be entertaining, sure, speak fast and draw stick figures. I think it's funny and establishes you as a grouch. If the point is to give a good review, the important things are insight into the game and honesty in reporting.

So, yeah, I thought Alan Wake looked interesting. I just didn't see at the time why it was important to bust out with more negative comments in a thread where the general outlook is forward looking. I mean, the thread isn't "Games in which you are not interested." I guess I'm just always going to be focused more on games I find interested rather than focusing on games I don't.

Aside from Alan Wake, which still has my eye, I'm looking forward to Diablo 3. However, not quite as much. I really enjoyed Diablo 1 and 2, but I don't know if I want to do another slog through an endless respawn dungeon. After they decided to go to continual respawns to accomodate the multi player crowd, it's become more of a pain. Still, I'll pencil it in when/if Blizzard releases it.

On Diablo 3, they're still contemplating respawns. One of the ideas that has been thrown around was that at least surface areas with habitation and roads and such, unlike say corrupted woodland, would stay empty of monsters and open for travel once cleared. Dungeons are another matter entirely.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yeah so Gears of War 2 comes out on Friday. I have to say I wasn't really all that excited for this game until I remembered how much I had played the first one. It really sounds like "Gears of War 1 with Better Multiplayer" but that's all I'm looking for from this game anyway. The co-op campaign on Insane should be fun again too.

in order:

I. Alpha Protocol

II. Dragon Age: Origins

III. Diablo III

IV: Alan Wake

V: Deus Ex III/Splinter Cell: Conviction

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Yeah so Gears of War 2 comes out on Friday. I have to say I wasn't really all that excited for this game until I remembered how much I had played the first one. It really sounds like "Gears of War 1 with Better Multiplayer" but that's all I'm looking for from this game anyway. The co-op campaign on Insane should be fun again too.

The entire single player campaign has been leaked on youtube for weeks already. ;(

• 2 weeks later...

Someone made the effort to make a video of the few Dead Island screenshots that have so far surfaced:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/289482.htm

Dead Island is a game about a guy who's trapped on a holiday resort when a zombie plague breaks out. It's supposed to be free-roaming, kind of survival horror with lots and lots of space and zombies. MY KIND OF GAME! Techland is a Polish company with a very good grasp of the technical aspects of game development (see Chrome, Call of Juarez and Xpand Rally) but they still haven't managed to tie it all together into a really great game. Let's hope this will be it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 4 weeks later...

Why so jolly?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, God of War III, Brutal Legend, and I'm sorta looking forward to SW:TOL, depending on how that story aspect works out.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Great book, hopefulkly the game will be too. Looking foward to Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2, both of which are remarkably non-crappyMMO for a post-WoS Blizzard. Anyway, NIS' new platformer looks great, like all of their games have been except for Phantom Brave, which is unfortunately thier Wii game.

On a lighter note, I'm looking foward to kicking *** on the new Gears maps.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS