Games you are looking forward to

Gorth

You guys are so full of it.

Oh yes, let's take two completely different screenshots and make a claim about how the games look completely different! How about we place one of the leaked videos of Fallout 3 next to a video of Oblivion and compare the two that way, I don't think your claim about them not being anything alike would hold an once of water once that happened. :ermm:

securom2gu8.png

Ok.... I thought it looked more like Oblivion 1.0 with a simple re-skin...
Oh yes, let's take two completely different screenshots and make a claim about how the games look completely different!

Yes. I will. That's kind of my point.. :ermm: So, which one is it? Is it Oblivion 1.0 with a simple re-skin or are they "completely different", as you say?

How about we place one of the leaked videos of Fallout 3 next to a video of Oblivion and compare the two that way, I don't think your claim about them not being anything alike would hold an once of water once that happened. :aiee:

I've played Oblivion for 100+ hours. I've seen the official Fallout 3 gameplay videos. I do not think they look the same. At all. But feel free to bring me your proof of how similar they are. Please.

Or how about I provide some?

Fallout 3: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39287.html

Oblivion: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/9508.html

Yeah. Still almost impossible to tell them apart. Unless you are a genius of course.

Still full of it too.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

A video from a presentation of Gothic 4 (or Arcania as it is now called):

Not half bad! Made by Spellbound and not Piranha Bytes this time. Will be interesting to see how Gothic it will feel.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I don't know. The Fallout 3 game does look like an enhanced version of the oblivion game in a different setting. On the other hand, Oblivion looked pretty sweet for it's day. Hell, I think it still looks pretty sweet.

I don't know why the graphics are such a problem with regard to Fallout 3. Sure, there are real similarities, but the graphics for Fallout 3 look really sweet. There are other issues that worry me, but the fact that Bethesda removed the monster leveling scheme from Oblivion is a huge step forward.

So, the Oblivion with guns accusation is a bit hollow from my perspective, even though I do think the graphics are not entirely alien to one another.

I'd like to see a general improvement on the writing and I'd rather the design team create a compelling story in which to immerse myself rather than the whole disconnected sort of general roaming of Oblivion.

I don't think it's really Fallout at the end of the day, but it looks like it could be fun. Anyhow, I don't want to waste my time being an aged Fallout fan when I can simply enjoy a new game on the horizon.

Wooden animations is a major flaw?

I've come to the point where I view animations as more important than model detail or attempts at 'photorealistic' environments. I think it's a matter of priority. For me 'good graphics' means rich in color + fluid + stylistic. Fallout 3 looks ugly to me, though if they're able to capture the post-apocalyptic setting well enough, I think that's fine.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Wooden animations is a major flaw?

I've come to the point where I view animations as more important than model detail or attempts at 'photorealistic' environments. I think it's a matter of priority. For me 'good graphics' means rich in color + fluid + stylistic. Fallout 3 looks ugly to me, though if they're able to capture the post-apocalyptic setting well enough, I think that's fine.

That's an interesting take. Animations are so important to creating a belivable character, especially a human one, that maybe they are the most important aspect of a games graphical presentation.

However, if the models are poorly created or textured, even good animations will fail to capture realism. If you look at Oblivion's avatars, much of the texturing that comprises the major muscle groups is fairly cartoonish, especially on the abdomen. A lot of the skin doesn't even have textures resulting in a real lack of depth, like rubber dolls skin.

And of course with the faces, one has to ask themselves if the people creating the faces for Oblivion even knew the general rules of feature placement on a face to begin with. SOme subtle variation is fine of course, but many of the Oblivion faces are grotesque monstrosities with such a wide deviation from an ideal that they are really rather freakish, like you were just dropped into a sideshow carnival. You CAN make decent faces with facegen. Its not even hard, but either they were randomly generated to save development time, or they were just poorly done.

With the beast races of course, there's a bit more freedom to play around without constraint, but even those faces aren't very well done. The Argonian faces, especially when viewed head on, have almost no sense of depth or bone structure, looking more like giant gas filled bladders than atually heads comprised of either bone or cartilege (can never spell that word).

In other words, animations are pretty important, definitely, but animating a poorly done avatar doesn't cover up the avatar itself is not very good.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Those screens have raised my excitement level over the game.

Well, I've never said -or at least I do not think I've said- Oblivion with Guns would be a completely un-fun game, but it's not a true Fallout 3. Still, I'll most likely get it... :lol:

securom2gu8.png

What the hell is with Bethesda and sweet rolls? The question was lame in Morrowind yet they keep referencing it like its some crowning achievement of a joke. Like its their 'I'll be back' catch phrase or something.

There are some annoying carry overs, but it sounds like many of the 'big things' have been fixed from Oblivion like the level scaling and the change to the S.P.E.C.A.L. rules.

true Fallout 3
Hahaha. Hello, Mr. Hades?

Oh man. Just wait until Interplay announce their FO MMO. That's going to be EPIC nerdrage!

Go go fake Fallout!

I really doubt the FO MMO will ever see the light of day, at least not with Interplay developing it.

I really dislike Gamebryo engine that is used in Oblivion and Fallout 3 (as well as games like Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online). For some reason animations and character models always look like crap. I could understand if one art team would mess it up but nearly all Gamebryo titles look like they are made by talentless hacks (maybe outside low polygon game Freedom Force). Then again, environments and inanimate objects seem to look just fine so it's bit perplexing.

I've tried to keep positive about Fallout 3 but there are many things against it. Probably have to see several reviews before I buy it. Or in worst case wait till it's in bargain bin.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I really doubt the FO MMO will ever see the light of day, at least not with Interplay developing it.
Who knows. You do know about "Project V13", don't you?

The last I checked, Herve and the rats were going whole hog down there.

Well, apparently he and his rat entourage somehow managed to convince enough investors to keep shelling out the dough... they even have a message board over there now.

The company also announced that Chris Taylor, a game designer who was a part of the original Fallout game development team at Interplay in 1994, has rejoined the company. Taylor will serve as Lead System Designer for

MMO's are probably the most expensive and difficult games to develop in the games market today. They require a lot of resources on the front end, and they require continued resources during release. Their average development times exceeds any other genre, and they require way more testing than other titles. I'm not sure why Interplay would choose that as their primary project. They should try and at least get out from the rock they've been living under with a modestly succesful cell phone game or something.