Games you are looking forward to

Gorth

What the hell is with Bethesda and sweet rolls? The question was lame in Morrowind yet they keep referencing it like its some crowning achievement of a joke. Like its their 'I'll be back' catch phrase or something.

Sweet rolls?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

First glimpse of FarCry 2 voice acting.

Doesn't sound like the original Far Cry enough, as in, its not absolutly ****ing awful.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

What the hell is with Bethesda and sweet rolls? The question was lame in Morrowind yet they keep referencing it like its some crowning achievement of a joke. Like its their 'I'll be back' catch phrase or something.

Sweet rolls?

Bethesda's games often have 'questionaires' that involve moral questions, and how you answer about 10 of them determines your recommended class. In Morrowind one of the questions was what the player would do if thugs demanded your sweet roll. You could respond with handing it over, fighting over it, throwing it on the ground etc. In Oblivion some of the characters will some times say 'I was walking home with a sweet roll when two thugs attacked me and...' referencing the question from Morrowind... as if it were worth referencing.

Now Fallout 3 seems to have the same scenario with a school bully demanding the sweet roll, as seen in a screen shot. I wouldn't be surprised if previous elder scrolls games also had something about sweet rolls in them.

I just don't get why they keep bringing it up like a catch phrase. Like their fans are supposed to jump up and down clapping at the mention of sweet rolls. :lol:

Next thing you know, they'll have a secret cow level or something. I mean, most of these inside jokes are silly, but Bethesda isn't any worse of an offender than other developers and it's not like it ruins the game. In fact, they've contrived that it makes sense within the setting, which is all that matters. If you didn't know the history, I doubt if you'd mention it.

Hey, I'm not picking a fight. Some things just get under my skin too. I'm just saying, in a broader sense, it's not that big a deal.

EDIT: Maria, you beat me to it! And you, sir, are a sneak. An Anonymous poster! lol

Edited by Aristes

Hey, I'm not picking a fight....

*disappointed*

*puts away brass knuckles*

EDIT: Maria, you beat me to it! And you, sir, are a sneak. An Anonymous poster! lol

I, sir, am a lady. FYI.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Of course its not a big deal, and it sure isn't going to stop me from getting the game.

Its just kind of lame and not funny. It must be some inside joke. Maybe someone urinated on Todd Howard's sweet roll at Bethesda HQ and they've been 'reminding' him ever since in their games with sweet roll references. Who knows.

From what I saw from the streaming vids that were up after the leak, it's definetely not the wiki style dialogue of TES. The one I watched though just skipped through conversations, guess he wasn't interested, so I couldn't really see the actual options well. But there are definetely "real" dialogue options so to speak.

Also, this game:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41431.html

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I really dislike Gamebryo engine that is used in Oblivion and Fallout 3 (as well as games like Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online). For some reason animations and character models always look like crap. I could understand if one art team would mess it up but nearly all Gamebryo titles look like they are made by talentless hacks (maybe outside low polygon game Freedom Force). Then again, environments and inanimate objects seem to look just fine so it's bit perplexing.

And you're qualified because you've got first hand experience? PLEASE!

You're blaming Gamebryo for bad art??? That's idiocy born of ignorance.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I really dislike Gamebryo engine that is used in Oblivion and Fallout 3 (as well as games like Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online). For some reason animations and character models always look like crap. I could understand if one art team would mess it up but nearly all Gamebryo titles look like they are made by talentless hacks (maybe outside low polygon game Freedom Force). Then again, environments and inanimate objects seem to look just fine so it's bit perplexing.

And you're qualified because you've got first hand experience? PLEASE!

You're blaming Gamebryo for bad art??? That's idiocy born of ignorance.

I haven't worked with Gamebryo and thus I don't know what limitation game engine have for models and animations.

From Gamebryo page

Gamebryo automatically handles nearly every animated value that can be specified in 3ds max and Maya upon export. In addition, Gamebryo

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I'm "willing" to buy FO3 (only so I can bitch on how crappy it is, honest, that's all! :- ), but only if I see some videos of a detailed conversation system - not lame Elder Scroll wiki dialog.

FO3 is like sex. In polite company, one should never admit to liking it.

Oblivion's animations absolutely blew, so hopefully Fallout's will be better.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Am I the only one who doesn't really care that much about animations? I don't really notice them unless they're faulty.

Personally I care much more about lighting and how it affects stuff. Lighting was one of the things that made STALKER as a game and one of the reasons I still remember it.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Am I the only one who doesn't really care that much about animations? I don't really notice them unless they're faulty.

Personally I care much more about lighting and how it affects stuff. Lighting was one of the things that made STALKER as a game and one of the reasons I still remember it.

I think good animations can really help, but if gameplay is good I can ignore/live with bad animations. If gameplay is bad, its just another thing to heap on the complaint list.

Heh, if animation was all important to me I wouldn't be playing NwN 2. :-

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Animations and character model detail are really the aesthetical things in a game that are most important to me. They really broke immersion in Morrowind, for example. And brought an added layer of awesomeness to NOLF, for instance.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Fallout 3's system requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:

Windows XP/Vista

1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)

2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor

Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

Recommended System Requirements:

Intel Core 2 Duo processor

2 GB System RAM

Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

NVIDIA GeForce 200 series

NVIDIA Geforce 9800 series

NVIDIA Geforce 9600 series

NVIDIA Geforce 8800 series

NVIDIA Geforce 8600 series

NVIDIA Geforce 8500 series

NVIDIA Geforce 8400 series

NVIDIA Geforce 7900 series

NVIDIA Geforce 7800 series

NVIDIA Geforce 7600 series

NVIDIA Geforce 7300 series

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series

ATI HD 4800 series

ATI HD 4600 series

ATI HD 3800 series

ATI HD 3600 series

ATI HD 3400 series

ATI HD 2900 series

ATI HD 2600 series

ATI HD 2400 series

ATI X1900 series

ATI X1800 series

ATI X1600 series

ATI X1300 series

ATI X850 series

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Animations and character model detail are really the aesthetical things in a game that are most important to me. They really broke immersion in Morrowind, for example. And brought an added layer of awesomeness to NOLF, for instance.

And Bethesda has been doing an abysmal job at it for FO3 as well.

Christ, look at the combat trailers! The enemies look about as combat-ready or tense as a dead whale on the beach. They're just standing there.

Also, CoD5 is starting to look amazing. Better than CoD3 at least.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I think Fallout 3 looks pretty good.. But I have to agree on the animation criticisms. Why don't the enemies react even a little when being shot? I don't demand much, just a mega-short twitch or something. Feedback that you've just shot the bastard SOMEWHERE. Anyhow, here's a few new combat videos:

Underground combat: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41330.html

Brotherhood of Steel combat: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41323.html

Museum combat: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41328.html

Trench combat: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41332.html

I still don't see the slightest resemblance to Oblivion.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The coop revive system in CoD 5 looks sweet. =] I hope if one side is going to be completely ripped off this time, like CoD 4, its the Russians as they seem to be getting the generic street fighting. Much more interested in the Pacific Theater.

Fallout 3 combat actually looks fun too. Certainly more fun than Oblivion's 'spend half an hour in front of someone wacking them over and over' combat. I don't really mind a lack of 'staggering' animations, since they primarily occur when you score a critical hit. If they stagger EVERY shot, it might make the game unbalanced in the player's favor.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

I'm enjoying Call of Duty 4. I played through it once at the level below and now I'm doing Veteran and I just can't survive the end of the sniper mission. I wouldn't mind another good WWII shooter, and it can be arcade-y, which I'm sure CoD5 will not be. I'll pick up CoD5, but I need a mindless run and gun like Half-Life 3 to come out. Also, I'd like a Hitman 5. If they've announced that, please link it!

I think Fallout 3 looks pretty good.. But I have to agree on the animation criticisms. Why don't the enemies react even a little when being shot? I don't demand much, just a mega-short twitch or something. Feedback that you've just shot the bastard SOMEWHERE. Anyhow, here's a few new combat videos:

Underground combat: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41330.html

Brotherhood of Steel combat: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41323.html

Museum combat: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41328.html

Trench combat: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41332.html

I still don't see the slightest resemblance to Oblivion.

Ugh. No perma-death for quest NPCs? Those BoS knights should have been killed by the Behemoth, not knocked unconscious. =]

manthing2.jpg