Movies you have seen lately

Walsingham

almost quasi-Nietzschean theology

what complete **** ;)

I've seen "They" lately, was ok until the end, which made the whole film disappointingly weak.

"The Others" on the other hand was great. I never thought I'd be able to enjoy a movie with Kidman in a leading role, but really, this film is very worth watching :* It wasn't scary, but just good.

I've also seen a film adaption of a Wallander detective story (by Mankell), stories I quite like reading because of the mood and the characters, but as is usually the case with adaptions of books one's read before, it didn't quite catch either of the points I like about the stories.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

The Golden compass

It was good except for the dissapointing ending. they chopped of the book's end from the movie. It's sad because all they needed was another 15 minutes to finnish the movie.

Your not all ways being honest when your telling the truth.

Everything slows down when water's around.

The Golden compass

It was good except for the dissapointing ending. they chopped of the book's end from the movie. It's sad because all they needed was another 15 minutes to finnish the movie.

Did they tame the bear fight? I will pay 10 bucks to see the polar bear fight as it exists in the book.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

Superbad. Pretty funny movie. It was mostly good becuase of how accurate some of the jokes are to high school life. While being a comedy the story was pretty nice and while similar to something like Harold and Kumar it wasn't blatantly retarded. Going to have to give this one an 8.5/10. Pretty funny but nothing extrodinary. **** pics were pretty good too, especially the Tiananmen Square one.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Bourne Supremacy - Excellent, good conclusion to the trilogy. Were there any more books? I'm going to assume the storyline is done, since there doesn't seem to be anymore loose ends. I liked the slow development of Julia Stiles' character.

Waitress - Very quirky. Good ending, my inner feminist enjoyed it tremendously.

Chalk - Fictional account of young high school teachers shot in a documentary style. It was good in that it showed how difficult it is to teach, but it would have been nice if they included a teacher who was actually concerned about the students and not egotistical. Although at tougher schools I suppose these types of teachers are the status quo.

The Golden compass

Did they tame the bear fight? I will pay 10 bucks to see the polar bear fight as it exists in the book.

Didn't read the book, but in the movie, it's not a very long battle, but physically, well... mutilating. Not for teh kidz (probably american kids will like it though >_<)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I went to see I Am Legend yesterday. The background was really well done., but I thought this show was kind of boring for the most part. The Omega Man was much better IMO.

After that I caught We Are Marshall. Great film.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Charlie Wilson's War. Quite funny at times, but not all that good.

The best scene is the conversation with the Israeli guy.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

*Drumroll*

Flood

A surprisingly good cast, including Robert Carlyle and David Suchet

Highpoints: a general Mystery Science Theatre vibe. Unnecessary violence to a Scottish grandmother. A tidal surge travelling the wrong way up the Thames... then reversing direction.

Lowpoints: ALL the soldier's berets were wrong, unmolded, looked like Russian sailors. The heroic sacrifice at the end which could have been simply avoided by giving the man two air tanks.

OVERALL well worth watching. If you are a fan of bad movies.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Anybody seen the film version of The Kite Runner? I've been reading the book on and off at the local bookshop (heh, broke) and I like how it is so far, so I'm going to check out the film on Wednesday. I'm thoroughly skeptical of adaptations, of course, but we shall see.

Have I mentioned Futurama: Bender's Big Score?

Futurama's back, baby! And it's as good as ever.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

- I am Legend: Pretty darn good except the ending felt rushed.

8/10

- Dragon Wars: Boy this sucked! The premise and story are actually pretty good but the execution is just horrible. It's ALL special effects, which are ok and impressive in some parts but nothing makes sense. Like it's a LotR-sized trilogy they had to cut to make it fit within 2 hours so they only kept the most expensive FX shots and left ALL the rest on the cutting room floor.

3/10

- National Treasure 2: This was actually better than the first, except for Nick Cage's hair.

7/10

Blade Runner Remastered Directors Cut

This movie pretty much sucked. I can understand that during it's time it was probably really stylish and futuristic but just like gaming, good graphics doesn't mean good content. It was overtly weird as hell but most importantly I honestly don't understand for a 2 hour movie a whole not of absolutely nothing happened. It seemed like I was in a coma because something that could take 30 minutes lasted an entire hour and 50 minutes yet at the same time it didn't exactly seem like it was extremely long and drawn out. The acting and plot was alright I suppose it was just the way it was executed. I'd have to say the only redeeming factor of this movie is probably seeing that one chicks bewbs and the music.

5/10 Never would watch again.

I don't think you actually watched the right movie, because Blade Runner is great even now.

It's a worthwhile film, but theslug is correct that the best part about it is the production design, art direction, and other stylistic elements.

Here is a recent retrospective of the various reactions to the film since its release. Summary excerpt:

The movie is a transfixing multisensory turn-on from beginning to end. But because its story is underplotted and its characters almost totally opaque, the weight of the film falls to its sumptuous visual palette

Blade Runner is my first Blu-Ray purchase. And I own a DVD of Final Cut as well. It's also one of the earliest movies I remember watching.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Superbad. Pretty funny movie. It was mostly good becuase of how accurate some of the jokes are to high school life. While being a comedy the story was pretty nice and while similar to something like Harold and Kumar it wasn't blatantly retarded. Going to have to give this one an 8.5/10. Pretty funny but nothing extrodinary. **** pics were pretty good too, especially the Tiananmen Square one.
The first 30 + minutes were very funny. The movie was too long, about 45 mins too long. The whole cop plot was not funny. All in all a decent comedy.

I am now @ ST: Generations (3rd time through the Directors' Cut ... I think)!

You're now "at?" Are you working your way through all the ST movies or something? :-

First Contact was the best of the Next Generation films ... the ones after that were all ... meh.

As to movies I've seen lately - I've seen quite a few, but mostly older ones I felt like re-living, like In The Line of Fire and Robocop.

And whoever said that Army of Darkness doesn't bear repeated viewings - I'd agree. It has some great comedy moments, but tipped too far into the parody of the absurd overall and I think it showed.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Doesn't bear repeated viewing? I saw that movie loads of times and I still love every second of it.

Anyway, I just saw Control, about the late Ian Curtis, singer of Joy Division.

Honestly, I wanted to see more of anyone else in the movie. I can see it's a good movie, but as a person Ian Curtis does not appeal to me at all. He was kind of a bastard.

Doesn't bear repeated viewing? I saw that movie loads of times and I still love every second of it.

Some of it just seems like they're trying too hard to be cheesy. Like the multiple mini Ashes.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Because the people at Fox are dumbasses? Ratings sucked? I thought that the series was great. Then again, that statement echoes my thoughts on Carnivale as well.

After waiting a few months for it to come out on dvd, I finally watched Sunshine today. It was nice to see a space movie without laser guns and alien races.

Nice to see you lurking about, Jules! :thumbsup:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Employee of the Month - I guess it could have been worse. I actually fast forwarded through the Jessica Simpson parts because it was painful to watch her deliver dialogue. I fast forwarded through some other parts as well. It had a funny moment here and there, I actually think the arch nemesis guy and Pedro were fairly funny, whereas the rest were hard to watch.

It's a good movie if you are busy doing other things and it's on in the background.

High School Musical.

Why do I have a sudden urge to sue Disney for raping musicals?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Employee of the Month - I guess it could have been worse. I actually fast forwarded through the Jessica Simpson parts because it was painful to watch her deliver dialogue. I fast forwarded through some other parts as well. It had a funny moment here and there, I actually think the arch nemesis guy and Pedro were fairly funny, whereas the rest were hard to watch.

It's a good movie if you are busy doing other things and it's on in the background.

agree 100%

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!