pre-school

taks

my son john, 4, begins his education odyssey today attending pre-school for the first time. actually, he's in pre-kindergarten at the local goddard school. john cried all weekend after we told him what was going to happen. well, he did the pouty face and cried this morning when we dropped him off. it was sad. surprisingly, momma wasn't all that heartbroken. she'll probably start to miss him as the day goes on, however. dinner tonight will be interesting. :woot:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Poor kid. 12+ years of school sucks. When he's like 12 or so you should get him into Muay Thai/wrestling/etc. And make sure he reads alot and stuff so he's smart and a bad ass later on in life.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Your little boy is growing up Taks. Before you know he will be borrowing you car.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Being extremely childish myself, I still remember exactly what it was like when I got dropped off at Dagis when I was his age. I was very sad and cried all morning but once I got together with the other kids and started playing I was more than alright.

That's great. I have a one year old boy myself.

They let 14-yearolds have babies down there? :unsure:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Your little boy is growing up Taks. Before you know he will be borrowing you car.

if you ask him, he's a little perturbed he's not already able to do that...

taks

You yanks really start "schooling" your kids early. In Finland pre-school is for 6 years old.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Condolences to your son for starting school. :unsure:

Pre-school is pretty fun. I actually remember my pre-school days. I would spend the morning looking at books (I can't remember if I was reading then or not) and then spend the afternoon building elaborate buildings with the toy blocks. My pre-school teacher, Miss Judy, was convinced I would become an architect.

I still play with blocks! I build something and my nephew comes running and smashes them down. I've nicknamed my nephew the 'Hulk'.

You should get your son some blocks.

Blocks are awesome.

So are Legos.

Ah, I remember that day fondly. My daughter is now 7 and entering 2nd grade but she was VERY excited to start school and I distinctly remember being the one who couldnt "let go", lol.

john is a complete momma's boy. we moved here 6 months before he was born, which meant few friends and no family. as a result, he's rarely away from either us, more particularly, momma. he still cries sometimes when momma goes to play pool on wednesday evenings.

i talked to michele a bit ago and she's missing him terribly as i expected. she needs this as much as he does. hopefully she'll get a job and get some professional interaction she sorely needs. plus, private schools ain't cheap, so offsetting the cost would be nice.

taks

Think of all the money you're going to spend on your son's education until he leaves college. Done?

It seems to me that you should be the one crying.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

one of john's favorite games when he was younger was "playing blocks." now he's into much more complex games such as "tickle tag" and "race around the house."

You yanks really start "schooling" your kids early. In Finland pre-school is for 6 years old.

kindergarten is next year. by 6 most kids are in the 1st grade. technically, in CO, you don't have to declare your child in some form of school till he's 7.

taks

Pre-school is pretty fun. I actually remember my pre-school days. I would spend the morning looking at books (I can't remember if I was reading then or not) and then spend the afternoon building elaborate buildings with the toy blocks. My pre-school teacher, Miss Judy, was convinced I would become an architect.

I still play with blocks! I build something and my nephew comes running and smashes them down. I've nicknamed my nephew the 'Hulk'.

You should get your son some blocks.

Blocks are awesome.

So are Legos.

I agree entirely with this post. Blocks are awesome. I remember we had these big wooden blocks. They came in rectangles, squares, triangles (of various types!), cylinders and more! I'd spend my entire free play time building huge perfectly symmetrical buildings, usually they ended up taller than I was, made all the more impressive because the buildings I made were really two dimensional and thus more likely to fall over.

I fondly remember lunch times at my pre-school/daycare thing. We had awesome food there. Everyday a different person was chosen to help one of the teachers go bring lunch in for everyone. You would get to walk through the huge office building to the kitchen and help push the huge cart with all the food. I remember the day that I got to help. We had quiche that day. :unsure:

There are a number of other things that I can remember, like always being the last one up after nap time, because the teachers couldn't wake me up without shaking me.

EDIT: Xard: I was barely three when I started pre-school.

Edited by Deraldin

Think of all the money you're going to spend on your son's education until he leaves college. Done?

$7k-$8k/year for pre-school, about the same for grade school, though maybe a little less. typically, grade schools have more kids per class, which is why it is a bit cheaper in spite of more days per week (pre-school is MWF, full days). when he gets old enough, perhaps for high-school or middle school, we'll probably let him go to public school. we aren't ready to make such decisions yet.

It seems to me that you should be the one crying.

i am, it's just not apparent yet. i'm hoping he stays as smart as he is now. scholarships may be a requirement! :unsure:

taks

What this forum expects of is that the time junior has learned to read, daddy will pickup a couple dices, a board and a nice book D&D-rules. Adventure awaits! Ahoy!

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

were not til high school that Gromnir started going to school on a regular basis, so our pov regarding formal education is atypical at best... and the school we first went to on a regular basis were widely considered to be one of the worst in Chicago. very little o' Gromnir's education (pre-university) ever happened in a school.

in any event, we thinks that the biggest mistake many parents make with their kids is that they feels that formal education ends parental responsibility insofar as teaching their kids is concerned (no suggestion that taks is such a fool.) sure, maybe mom or dad helps with a science project or a homework question, but for the most part it seems that parents leaves the teaching o' their kids to teachers. is a mistake? thinks back and try to recall the number o' teachers who got you to enjoy learning. is you more or less likely to be able to instill love of science, reading and/or history in your child than than some yutz who only gots a teaching job 'cause their GRE/MCAT/LSAT scores weren't good 'nuff to get 'em into a good grad school?

who gots time to genuine teach their children? not Gromnir... which is why we not have children. even so, we thinks that more important than paying for expensive education is the continuing parental duty to attempt to show children that learning can be fun. read to 'em. take'em to museums. does basic science experiments in the garage... whatever. other than those weird asian kids with the pocket protectors and 0 social life, the kids who did good in school always seemed to be the ones who liked to learn. parents got inside track.

taks not need Gromnir advice... but we is a preachy bastard by nature.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

i've got the core manuals and one of the starter modules at home... soon, soon. :unsure: he loves to sit and watch me "play noise," which is typically either BG or NWN2 lately. he calls it noise because the beginning screens have some really loud sounds, and when he was two, that's what he thought it was: noise.

oh, he's starting on reading now, though it is slow going. we're concentrating on getting him to spell all of his favorite 3-letter words first. there's progress, and i expect we'll see bigger gains now that he's in pre-school.

taks

taks not need Gromnir advice... but we is a preachy bastard by nature.

actually, taks fully agrees with gromnir advice. thanks.

our current plans are actually a balance of home-schooling and some sort of charter/private school. i'm so fed up with public school that i don't want him to trot down that path till he's old enough to understand when a teacher is preaching vs. teaching. even then, the only reasons for public high-school are a) access to lots of kids of varying socio-economic status (as well as cultures/races, but COS is like 87% white) and b) easier access to all the sports/after school programs. granted, kids can be in the latter even if they don't attend the school, but it helps if they already know all their peers from classrooms. COS public schools all have the balance (half public attendance school, half home-school) programs, btw, so we may not need to opt for privatization. we'll see.

taks

oh, he's starting on reading now, though it is slow going. we're concentrating on getting him to spell all of his favorite 3-letter words first. there's progress, and i expect we'll see bigger gains now that he's in pre-school.

taks

In first grade those are called sight words. You can print them out from the link if you want to get a leg up.

cool again, thanks as well. :thumbsup:

mine is named after both of his grandfathers. john is my dad, michael is michele's dad. his unofficial name is john michael stinkerpants tak... we need to cure him of telling people that, though it's funny around adults.

taks

<.>

At least the guy isn't in cali public schools... you get enough books that you have 2 choices, rolling luggage, or a backpack (with the breaking of your back as an added benefit.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

<.>

At least the guy isn't in cali public schools... you get enough books that you have 2 choices, rolling luggage, or a backpack (with the breaking of your back as an added benefit.)

Just how much are we talking about here? My backpack was never lighter than 40 pounds throughout my high school career. Wasn't much lighter during elementary.

The only bad thing I can recall about pre-school was that it lulled me into a false sense of goodwill regarding school. I was immensely privileged to attend a tiny village pre-school with a pair of kindhearted spinsters running it. Happy days.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.