The Black Hound FAQ

Sammael

Small Poll for the fun of it:

Which of the two options would you prefer?

1) Sawyer uses the old Mystary engine (supposing that such a thing was possible) to complete TBH as it was supposed to be. There were only 6 months of work left before the project got cancelled (area population, implementing dialogues, etc) so this won't take very long. I wonder if we could buy the engine from Herve since he is in desperate need of money (100 bucks would do...no? hehe)

2) Sawyer uses the NWN2 engine to develop TBH and takes 2-3 years to do so...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I uploaded a folder containing all the info about TBH I could collect on rapidshare. There's a pic of the game in it, which kinda reminds me of the BG2 engine (which I really like).

The link is somewhere in this thread (page 2 I think).

Cheers.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The graphics pipeline of the Mystary engine is horrible. There's no way Josh would want to use it over NWN2 engine.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Not to mention that 6 months of the entire team working on the game does not translate to Sawyer working 6 months on it.

Besides, if such a thing was even feasible, it probably would have been mentioned long ago. I was under the impression that this project was only possible in the first place due to the arrival of NWN2.

I'm very happy to hear about the low level experience. I'm terrible in the upper levels because I have more power than I know what to do with. Realistically (you know, in a fantasy land sense :) ) most people and animals should be in between the 1-5 level range. Getting over level ten is quite an accomplishment in FR if you are really following the rules.

The "old" engine had really nice lighting, mostly because we pre-baked all of our lightmaps and had full radiosity. Also, Vance could go through and vertex paint the entire landscape for some really beautiful and subtle effects. That's also what contributed to making the art pipeline really terrible.

The desktop "screenshot" from the old engine is also taken from a very flattering distance. Dennis Presnell was looking at some of the old models and comparing them to NWN2 models. Not only are the textures from the old engine pretty low-res, but the models have about 1/3 the number of polys -- that's 1/3 the number of polys in the low-res model. A NWN2 high-poly model used for generating normal maps is even crazier.

Personal tastes aside, the old engine's art pipeline was absolutely terrible and there's no way I'd want to use that again.  Anyone who complains about NWN2's walkmesh baking times never had to wait seven hours for a single level's lightmaps to burn.

Perhaps. But it would stil be fun to see what a Core 2 Duo X6800 (or whatever you developer types use) would need to "burn" those same lightmaps today. Surely not seven hours?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I have a couple of question about Jefferson:

1) BIS intended to make a new trilogy out of Jefferson's story. If I had understood correctly, TBH was just the first part of it. So my question is whether Sawyer intends to produce the entire trilogy in his module, or just the TBH part. Sorry if I sound greedy, this is not my intent. I just want to clarify things...

2) TBH was supposed to have a level cap of 8. I really don't mind playing low-level campaigns and I really hope that Sawyer's module will remain as it was planned to be. Will that be the case or will the module adjust everything so that players can get from lv1 to lv20 like the OC?

1) It would be nice just to deal with the main Black Hound campaign and see what happens. I'd estimate about 15-20 modules worth of material, which is an enormous undertaking.

2) Still levels 1-8, core PHB classes only (no warlock and no prestige classes).

I think it would be better to raise the level cap to lv9 or 10. Level 9 because any character gets a feat, level 10 because some classes gain some bonuses on that level (rogue, fighter, wizard bonus feats, extra barbarian rage, etc). It would be a shame to prevent the player from gaining such bonuses. Is that feasible though?

Please, don't put phat l00t in TBH. At best, +2 enchanted items should be available in it. No more than that. Oh, and no random loot either, please. I hate that (I hope the others will agree with me on that issue).

"NWN2 didn't have such a ridiculous loot system, and in the core campaign you weren't running into good +1 weapons until 5th or 6th level."

Nah. Not true. NWN2 wa sjust bad. And, you didn't get any real good +1 wepaons in NWN1 until level 4+ due to the fact just like NWN2, you gained 2 levels in the prologue.

Still, if this work is not ph@t lewtish it would be kewl; but NWN2 OC is not the one to go by.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Please, don't put phat l00t in TBH. At best, +2 enchanted items should be available in it. No more than that. Oh, and no random loot either, please. I hate that (I hope the others will agree with me on that issue).

I was under the impression that +2 items is pretty phat loot for level 8.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Was just poking around Sammael's website. It's pleasing to see that Black Hound apparently has a "leitmotif". Too many games never try to express or even be informed by any greater meaning or message, instead being content to present a series of small and typically disconnected vignettes.

Re: low levels, low loot. Done well, the fame/reputation/epithet system should probably offset any feeling of a lack of advancement/rewards/carrots.

Also, low level characters are significantly more interesting to develop in NWN2 than, say, BG1's AD&D rules. And with the equipment materials (darksteel, adamantite, etc) and all that jazz, a designer has greater variety of loot to throw at players beyond just typical increments of +1, +2, etc.

Btw, I've just been playing through BG1, with expansion, myself. I'm near the end of the game and I believe everybody has at least one +2 weapon and I think I've got a few +3 items in there too.

Fast level-ups can get pretty annoying, especially in Kotor. I always felt the Level-Up sounds rings every 5 min there. Drove me nuts... That's why I prefer games that don't have any level-ups at all. But that's maybe just me.

I think it's a subtle difference in game mechanics that's the root of this annoyance. In BG the characters have different xp numbers depending on when they join. So leveling is spread out and happens at widely different times (unless there's a huge xp reward).

Whereas in KOTOR and NWN2, the party leveling depends on the main character. Once s/he levels, everyone levels. You spend the next 10 mins leveling half a dozen characters, sometimes multiple levels at once creating the ZOMG LEVELING OVERLOAD!1 which pisses people off.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

What do you guys think about my suggestion to raise the levl cap from 8 to level 9 or 10?

Well, I like powergaming. That is why I don't want to miss the bonus feats available at level 9 and 10.

Well, I like powergaming. That is why I don't want to miss the bonus feats available at level 9 and 10.

Then on principle I have to dislike the idea. If the concern is for feats and not relative power, then I don't hold faith for it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think the best idea would be to not really cap levels, but balance the XP rewards such that a character can get to level 9 if he tries hard to do so, but if everything is as it should be then they'll ideally hit level 8.

Also, low level characters are significantly more interesting to develop in NWN2 than, say, BG1's AD&D rules. And with the equipment materials (darksteel, adamantite, etc) and all that jazz, a designer has greater variety of loot to throw at players beyond just typical increments of +1, +2, etc.

Actually, that's something that I've been meaning to ask Josh about. I don't know if item creation is something he's willing to put into the module. It's a whole other aspect of the game that has to be balanced and tested.

Geek that I am, I'm reading up on the 3 Dales in the FR core book and I'm seeing a lot of potential for intrigue and plot there, including the Thayan / Harper / Sembia factional stuff. Hopefully that wouldn't pan out to just Evil / Good / Neutral in terms of quest paths, but going that far I'm assuming a lot about what TBH is going to be, and how much it's going to rely on what's in the books (probably not a lot). I'm stoked. Now I just have to wait a few years :p

I wonder if Josh will include the FR surface drow in his module. They are threatening Battledale from Cormanthyr >_<" Seems a bit too big of a challenge to low-level characters, though.

I'm just hoping that this "Black Hound" is not, in fact, the Pariah Dog :D

Edited by Pop