The Black Hound FAQ

Sammael

I read the last page. This is four pages long. Takes too much time to read the whole damned thing.  :(

That's why they stripped you from your moderator title... you were too lazy :thumbsup:"

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

BG3? Hopefully not. No more BG series unless it's not related at all to the other two games. That series ended at Throne of Bhaal when the PC became a god or went off in the sunset as a mortal.

I don't think anyone would want it to attempt to continue the storyline of the same characters from BG2, although a few brief NPC cameo appearances would be nice. I'd like it to be the spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate games - with an interesting story, emphasis on dialogue and interesting NPCs, and an epic feel.

As hilarious as the faux developer avatars are for all of three seconds, wouldn't newcomers to the forum be surprised to see developers making such contributions to discussions as those above?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It's fascinating to read about that.  Interplay lost the D&D license to Atari, but maintained the ability to create Baldur's Gate titled D&D games.  Which explains Dark Alliance.

apparently you weren't a part of the bioware boards when this all went down, eh? suffice it to say, many of us regulars were shocked, dismayed, disappointed and even outright angry. even the codex regulars scorned the interplay debacle and they tend to be generally anti-bioware/interplay (post fallout).

we were shocked, of course, but not truly surprised.

taks

apologies, that should read "apparently you weren't a part of the black isle boards when..." not bioware.

oops. sorry if i confused anyone.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I have a couple of question about Jefferson:

1) BIS intended to make a new trilogy out of Jefferson's story. If I had understood correctly, TBH was just the first part of it. So my question is whether Sawyer intends to produce the entire trilogy in his module, or just the TBH part. Sorry if I sound greedy, this is not my intent. I just want to clarify things...

2) TBH was supposed to have a level cap of 8. I really don't mind playing low-level campaigns and I really hope that Sawyer's module will remain as it was planned to be. Will that be the case or will the module adjust everything so that players can get from lv1 to lv20 like the OC?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

re: #2... i hope not. i wouldn't mind a beginning module that only went to 8 or 9. i am really opposed to "caps" on level, however, but a well balanced module will put you where the cap would otherwise be if you don't power scour everything. i just like the possibility of going back and replaying in power mode to see if i can reach higher levels.

mark

comrade taks... just because.

More questions:

3) The engine doesn't support climbing but could it be implemented through a dialogue window (as in Prelude to Darkness and the upcoming Age of Decadence)?

4) I read that you had originally planned Arcanum-style NPC reaction levels (wary, friendly etc.) Do you still intend to do them?

5) Is there a non-combat path through the game?

"3) The engine doesn't support climbing but could it be implemented through a dialogue window (as in Prelude to Darkness and the upcoming Age of Decadence)?"

Sure. Just uses scripts ala NWN1.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Seeing as how this thread is slowly turning into something more than just an announcement for my FAQ (which I will have more time to work on during the weekend), I would like to ask one of the mods to change the thread title to "The Black Hound FAQ Thread" to make it more accessible.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

1) BIS intended to make a new trilogy out of Jefferson's story. If I had understood correctly, TBH was just the first part of it. So my question is whether Sawyer intends to produce the entire trilogy in his module, or just the TBH part. Sorry if I sound greedy, this is not my intent. I just want to clarify things...

2) TBH was supposed to have a level cap of 8. I really don't mind playing low-level campaigns and I really hope that Sawyer's module will remain as it was planned to be. Will that be the case or will the module adjust everything so that players can get from lv1 to lv20 like the OC?

1) It would be nice just to deal with the main Black Hound campaign and see what happens. I'd estimate about 15-20 modules worth of material, which is an enormous undertaking.

2) Still levels 1-8, core PHB classes only (no warlock and no prestige classes).

Planescape Torment had the word "thingies" and it still is my favourite D&D RPG ever. Therefore I must insist that this Black Hound module to contain word "thingies" in it

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Whether one is better than the other is debatable; but certainly, using BG and BG2 as the easiest examples, the lower level campaigns always offered a different sort of charm. I'd love TBH's first incarnation to be level 1-8, so that if it ever got further it could simply continue where it left off without going into epic levels (since we're not likely to see true epic levels, just NWN1 style).

I could live with lowe rlevels; but BG1 is not greater than BG2. Lesser role-playing, lesser quality of writing, less interesting characters, not as fun or challenging combat, and the list goes.

But, levels 1-8 for the BH is cool for me.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If it is indeed a trilogy, it could work as 1-8, then 9-15, then 16-20, perhaps allowing for prestige classes. But that's going a bit too far into the future (I'll probably be out of college by the time the second module came out, if it gets made).

Edited by Pop

I love lower levels. Especially if there's not 100% combat focus. If the characters are just slaughtering their way through monster hordes, then I usually need higher levels to be comfortable with that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yeah, I don't know how many times it has to be debated, but a low-powered PC must use the wits of the player to solve problems, rather than the combat power of the PC. Which is one type of fun, as opposed to the FPS type of fun, for example.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

1) It would be nice just to deal with the main Black Hound campaign and see what happens. I'd estimate about 15-20 modules worth of material, which is an enormous undertaking.

2) Still levels 1-8, core PHB classes only (no warlock and no prestige classes).

I'm sure if its well received you could do a premium module type thing for the 2nd two parts, get one or two other OBS people on board during company time and charge $5-$10 bucks for them when they're done.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Low levels and slow levelling-up improve the gaming experience for me. Levelling-up should be an event to be savoured rather than, as with NWN2 and its gang of NPCs, a chore to be dreaded. I think the decisions you make when levelling up count for me if you know you're going to be at that level for a while, and having your decisions count for something is always good. :rolleyes:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)