The Black Hound FAQ

Sammael

"I like being a bit stingy with gear and magical items"

is one reason why Gromnir not play base 3.5 d&d rules. item creation feats and requirements as they appear in books makes so that even if you is stingy, players can makes their own 10075... and they can makes some pretty powerful stuff. a d&d world with item creation as per rules is almost always gonna be monty haul if players want it to be.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Shall we sticky this thread?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I don't think it is necessary to sticky it. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to work on the FAQ today (I got called in to a very long business meeting unexpectedly, which pretty much made a mess of all my plans for today), but I'll try to get something done tomorrow. I am sure the thread will keep itself near the top anyways.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Why? Because this is the Black Hound and people need to know of its wondrous existence!

As for being stingy in magic items, I do the same. I figure if the PCs want a particular magic item they will quest for it, seek out someone who has it and buy it (if they have the money), or spend the resources and make it themselves. Some common magic items, like the atypical +1 longsword might be found in a cave on a previous adventurer or a baddie but I try to keep the uninteresting magic items out of my campaign.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

We don't need to sticky a thread as busy as this. We'll end up with a second iteration before we need to sticky it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

We don't need to sticky a thread as busy as this.  We'll end up with a second iteration before we need to sticky it.

no new news will be heard for 8 months... thread will be forgotten. then some new bit o' news will appear and we can start all over again. sure as heck no need for a sticky.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

In either case, as much as I'd like to see the Black Hound, I don't think the thread warrants a sticky. I hope we get more news before 8 months pass. However, I think we should give the modder enough room to work out details and get the mod started before we hound him.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

My personal suggestion regarding the loot and the raising of level cap is as follows: reward the PC with small but meaningful rewards throughout the game (a +1 luck bonus on saves vs something here, another +1 competence bonus to certain skill checks there, etc) and keep the level cap and loot as low as possible.

Torment sorta did this. The level cap wasn't necessarily low, but the game certainly rewarded the player with a lot of neat little bonuses. Just off the top of my head, bonus HP for letting Eivene stitch you up, bonus to pickpocket skill for letting that guy in the hive work his thing, and the improved Zerth spells from Dak'kon's unbroken circle. This also served nicely to encourage "roleplaying".

It depends on what you consider to be "news," but it will take me a while to filter through my old FAQ and the piles of other info I have (that never made it into the FAQ) and repost it in the new one. That should keep me busy for several months for sure.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

In either case, as much as I'd like to see the Black Hound, I don't think the thread warrants a sticky.  I hope we get more news before 8 months pass.  However, I think we should give the modder enough room to work out details and get the mod started before we hound him.

It is a cursed, black day when folks are free to use such puns freely.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Torment sorta did this. The level cap wasn't necessarily low, but the game certainly rewarded the player with a lot of neat little bonuses. Just off the top of my head, bonus HP for letting Eivene stitch you up, bonus to pickpocket skill for letting that guy in the hive work his thing, and the improved Zerth spells from Dak'kon's unbroken circle. This also served nicely to encourage "roleplaying".

Yes. However, I think Torment has shown that for many games, unless the system is changed a lot to promote this kind of bonuses, they are only seen by players as nice little 'add-ons' - in other words, little 'secret' or 'special' bonuses you find, and not the main way of getting your character fitted out. Torment had a fair bit of these bonueses but people always did moan about, say, the lack of armour or even other equipment to be found in that game. Although, tattoos were a great bonus, and as was filing up your empty eye slot. Perhaps the complaint came to light more because of PST's lacklustre combat side?

I don't understand why peole criticized PST's combat while say BG's combat was so freaking good. They are both the same.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

*shrug* to you maybe. The basic mechanics were very similar, but PST had a much smaller pool of classes, spells, monster types and so forth. They also lacked traps (did the game even have any?) and spellcasting enemies, and the only really different type of enemy I remember are the Cranium Rats. There was also only one ranged weapon NPC, and combat items were much more limited. I haven't played PST in a while, but as I remember those were the main reasons. Similar mechanics but much more limited, and therefore every battle was similar.

I don't understand why peole criticized PST's combat while say BG's combat was so freaking good.  They are both the same.

While the style of combat is the same, the area of battle is smaller in PS:T making it play differently. (Less time to react and making spell combat and ranged combat a bit trickier)

Updated the page with recent quotes from this thread and added a link to this thread.

Edited by Sammael

Updated the page with recent quotes from this thread and added a link to this thread.

Do you happen to have more in-game pics?

Do you also happen to have the official wallpaper (the one you have on your site's main page: with the hunter and the hound) Sawyer had posted on the BIS boards? This specific wallpaper had a monkey's face on the top of it and had the following sentences:

"Juju's monkey adventure in fantasy land"

"this may look like d&d, but we can assure you it isn't"

This picture was particularly funny. Unfortunately, I lost it and never managed to retrieve it. :-

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I have a larger image with the Protagonist and the Hound (which I will upload when I get back home tonight), but I do not recall the wallpaper you are mentioning.