Pictures of your games...

Darque

No, I didn't mean that. Old games are great, but way you wrote sounded like typical "old games are only good games, new one suxorz because they are only about graphics" which always annoys me greatly

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

*Holds up his hands*

Point I was attempting to make originally, is that in many cases older games are more focused on game play, newer Games are focused on graphics, in the hope of getting a little retro vibe and fond memories going.

Someone brought up the FPS Genera, I mentioned that it evolves very slowly and is the personification of a genera placing all it's focus into graphics.

OK, fine... anything not released as of 2006 and is not a FPS Game is the work of the devil, I am Satan's little helper come to swallow your soul with my lies and spreading of filth and ignorance.

All bow down to the holy trinity...

Doom the Father

Half-Life the Son

Halo the holy spirit

Nomine patri spiritus shooticus...

My humble apologies for still enjoying the games I grew up with.

Halo!? Red Faction would be a better choice

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

No, I didn't mean that. Old games are great, but way you wrote sounded like typical "old games are only good games, new one suxorz because they are only about graphics" which always annoys me greatly

In which case your misinterpreting the motivation and meaning behind what I was saying.

I was attempting to point out the general crossover point when Video games became a far more complicated Beast and the demands and expectations of the customers and the industry rose exponentially.

There has always been demand for sleek, beautiful looking games but they were always severely limited by the technology and the ability to "Add more" with the limited space available.

While the same holds true today to some extent, the technology to render breathtaking and stunning visuals is more limited by time and manpower than it is by the technology.

I mean, were still a way from Photo realistic, 3D VR Environments but we are pretty damn close and we are not limited in quite the same way via hardware as say... Midway back in the early 90's having to recolor the same models in order to conserve space on the arcade machine because they could literally not put any more into the game.

You see more limitations in view distance, FoW, How far grass is rendered, how many dynamic lights there are and all that jazz. IE: Optimization for individual consoles or systems. (However you do still see some "Old School" games released on the DS & PSP because of the more limited systems.)

All this means that a size able amount of time and resources now has to be invested in the visual aspect of the game which splits focus and resources making development a far more complex house of cards to manage, and some games get the balance just right and some do not, and technology is moving at such a rapid pace that no one has the time to "Grow into" the new shoes, before yet another pair of shoes is thrown on their feet and have to be broken in.

The days when 2 guys in a basement can make a game that is a critically acclaimed success such as David Braben and Ian Bell writing Elite... are long gone.

In my mind, the cross over point (And water mark) was January the 31st, 1997 with Final Fantasy 7.

Graphics, Story and Game play all rolled into such a tight and ground breaking package that it truly seems like a fluke... as no one (Even Squaresoft/Enix) has been able to fully duplicate it.

I love Video Games, New or Old. If you can name it I have probably played it, or at least having a passing familiarity with it. I love my Pixel Shading, Vertex Weighting, Soft Shadows, Speed tree, FaceGen, Bloom filled Gaming world.

But there was an era when games were far more simple and had to depend upon pure game play and addictiveness... when the most plot you had was your high score or a very simple premise presented at the opening credits.

It was a good time and one I remember fondly and still enjoy greatly.

A Gif I just made of the intro to Dreamweb, I tried makeing a full movie of the into with fraps but it was just waaaay to big... 1.5gigs is a tad to much and it came out at 500megs on the lowest settings so a gif will have to do.

A Truly, wonderful, dark and powerful game that goes in my personal top 10 games of all time.

Click to see the full thing.

dreamweb.gif

Edited by Mortis Nai

DooM in Widescreen for the win.

Did you also get that mouse-control mod for Doom? I dont remember what it was called, but it added jumping and WASD + mouse and made the game feel.. modern, almost. That and the OpenGL mod plus sharper textures helped.

I play Cooperative w/ Mouselook, infinite ammo, hi rez textures (works best with DooM ][) environmental effects and whatever else the Doomsday engine provides. Well, all but 3D models. I don't like those in DooM.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

A Gif I just made of the intro to Dreamweb, I tried makeing a full movie of the into with fraps but it was just waaaay to big... 1.5gigs is a tad to much and it came out at 500megs on the lowest settings so a gif will have to do.

A Truly, wonderful, dark and powerful game that goes in my personal top 10 games of all time.

I remember that game. It was an awesome adventure game, probably the darkest game I've ever played in terms of suspense and plot.

WoWsers! A fun party at the Empire Hotel with yours truly.  :shifty:

that game looks incredibly boring.

They didn't include a hell of a lot of bystander NPCs.

But on the whole, it's a game with a brain. That turns off more than a few people.

WoWsers! A fun party at the Empire Hotel with yours truly.  :shifty:

that game looks incredibly boring.

The more dark and sinister environments more than make up for it, Its a very well written, well orchestrated game that is well worth the effort and trouble of playing through the "Bugs" and design pitfalls if you already play Vampire: The Masquerade as it is the closest thing to capturing the atmosphere of the world of Darkness, although if your not a fan of the World of Darkness then there is probably little in Bloodlines that will interest you.

It is a personal favorite of mine, but I have known a great many people who just didn't get it, or were completely turned off by it.

Edited by Mortis Nai

What are you doing, killing everyone you meet?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

^That does it. I'm gonna play M&B once I get home.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Right, ok.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I remember frenzying in the quest where you had to protect the actor in Asp Hole. My ventrue just went batcrap on the vampire hunters. Big massacre.

That quest has one of the best level designs and voiceover ever, by the way. The line the actor says, and how he says it, before walking to the darkness is just pure awesome.

kirottu said: