Pictures of your games...

Darque

Our house, in the funky, non-scale, & very limited Sims2 style ... I'll never understand why they designed this house w/the bathrooms in the middle; imo that sucks. <_<

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Her face looks realistic. Its about time technology starts to look real.

I think I can see pores in her nose! :D

The teeth/smile still looks a bit unnatural...maybe because they're too perfectly straight/aligned or something. the lips themselves look great...just the teeth when she smiles.

But yeah, I agree...best digitized human face I've seen, probably. I'd like to see the hands upclose/in motion. They always seem to be one of the hardest things to do - or at least an area where they cut the most corners in favor of other areas.

Hands:

post-1750-1166434356_thumb.jpg

You mean ass. :D

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I remember in the 90s there were these games made with real people in them, filmed against a blue screen.

Why are people trying to simulate this?

I mean, the girl's face is obviously scanned from a real person's face.

I have a rock on my desk and I'm making a fake rock so that I can throw it.

Why? :blink:

I have a rock on my desk and I'm making a fake rock so that I can throw it.

Why?  :blink:

Simple. Because if you throw a real rock today, you may accidentally become liable for physical damages to someone/someone's property. :o

Not exactly a direct analogy with digital people, but you get the idea.

BTW, creating skin texture involves more than just scanning (now only if I remembered where did I have this link...).

BTW, creating skin texture involves more than just scanning

Exactly. So why not just go back to real people? Wouldn't that be more cost effective?

Also, name me 1... ok 2 games that allow the player to come close nough to a character's face that one can see the frakin pores.

:blink:

Edited by astr0creep

Exactly. So why not just go back to real people? Wouldn't that be more cost effective?
  1. Significant issue: You can't make 3D games with shots of real people.

2. Less significant issue: It can be hard to find the people you need (say, 4-handed, 5-eyed monster).

3. Common sense: 3D graphics is being developed and invested in, so someone with a bit more business knowledge than us obviously thinks that it is cost-effective.

Also, name me 1... ok 2 games that allow the player to come close nough to a character's face that one can see the frakin pores.

I can recall one, Half-Life 2. But I don't play too much modern games, so...

Regardless, I don't really see the point of going back to 2D video-based games with real people (if that's what you are implying), when you can do much more with 3D. I hated them back in the past, I still hate them now.

Tell that to George Lucas!  :aiee:

So you are implying that you can have a 3D model in a 3D game without vertex or texture mapping data, based purely on 2D sequence of frames?

No.

I'm saying the level of realism shown in the pics above is useless in a game. Sure it's a demo for a card but I for one will not buy it because it can render this kind of graphic quality.

Skin pores and realistic hair/fur is useless in a game, unless part of the gameplay.

No.

I'm saying the level of realism shown in the pics above is useless in a game.

And that's why it should totally be replaced with real people? I'm lost.

Sure it's a demo for a card but I for one will not buy it because it can render this kind of graphic quality.

Skin pores and realistic hair/fur is useless in a game, unless part of the gameplay.

Yes, it is a demo, but it shows the potential and the features of hardware (and not only to retail customers). Hence it is not pointless. A few years ago a programmable pipeline was exotic.

Oh, and pores:

gmants1.th.jpg

Edited by Diamond

The teeth/smile still looks a bit unnatural...maybe because they're too perfectly straight/aligned or something. the lips themselves look great...just the teeth when she smiles.

But yeah, I agree...best digitized human face I've seen, probably. I'd like to see the hands upclose/in motion. They always seem to be one of the hardest things to do - or at least an area where they cut the most corners in favor of other areas.

Hands:

post-1750-1166434356_thumb.jpg

The form is about right, but she might as well be wearing gloves because there are no fingerprints or typical lines in the palm and fingers. A different texture would fix that easily enough.

The tech is trying to reproduce reality, to make 3D models looks so real that a player can barely see the difference between the real and the virtual.

I'm saying this level of... dedication is too much. For a movie or a tech demo, sure. For a game? No.

The tech is trying to reproduce reality, to make 3D models looks so real that a player can barely see the difference between the real and the virtual.

I'm saying this level of... dedication is too much. For a movie or a tech demo, sure. For a game? No.

You are obviously missing the point of graphics. Realistic graphics is so you can go "My game pwnz0rzs your game, because mine has better graphics! So nyah! :p"

Believe it or not, but graphics are a big selling point for a lot of games.

At least, that's what I've heard. I wouldn't know what with my ancient Radeon 9600 Pro. :aiee:

Edited by Deraldin

Those hands have a nice shape to them, but they look like store mannequin hands in terms of detail.

And I do doubt that such clarity/realism will find it's way into the average game any time really soon. But it's nice to know what's possible.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Now that faces are becoming realistic and pretty, I wonder if they can mimic expressions accurately.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

And anyway facial expressions are very hard to do. That lady's smile for example, looks clearly artificial.

I still remember the whole movie theater laughing when the lead character in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within pulled off a sad face.

Heja Sverige!!

I'm not sure why you'd need more realistic faces (nor pretty faces) to mimic expressions accurately.

Part of the game experience is realism, with me. If you are talking to a character, least they can do is look real and be able to do complex expressions.

I'm not sure why you'd need more realistic faces to mimic expressions accurately. For example, why could you not have accurate facial expressions in a game such as Half-Life 2, compared to the girl in this nVidia demo?

smile.JPG sad.JPG angry.JPG wink.JPG

While the graphics are indeed sweet, the facial expressions are still lacking.

Heja Sverige!!