NWN2 bashed and thrashed

ramza

I found the following thread to be interesting but I don't know if it is THAT accurate. Maybe the guy is just a whiner. I am gonna get the game anyway...

http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimateb...opic/28/55.html

discuss.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

He makesa good points and some bad ones. And, his attitude helps nobody.

First off, NWN2's engine is based off of Aurora's. Heck, so was the KOTOR engine. But, NWN2's engine espicially combat, gameplay, and rules is MUCH closer to NWN1 than any other game.

Again, he makes some good points. I like NWN2 a lot; but I'd agree with a lot of the complaints. Just not as passionately as others. I feel I'm in the same baot as NWN1 as I shared plenty of the complaints others had from that agme (everrest, respawn, random bareels with loot on street)and the like; but they never bothered me as much as it did other people.

*shrug*

I'm gonna all caps the following:

NWN2 IS THE SEQUEL TO NWN1 AND FEELS, ACTS, SOUNDS, AND PLAYS LIKE IT!!!!

Ok. Done then. :crazy:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

P.S. I went, and read the whole thing instead of simply skimming. I came to the obvious conclusion - the fellow is a moron. Plain, and simple. :(

P.S. I hate double posts; but I hate him more!!! :devil:

:bat::bat::bat:

Edited by Volourn

he's right in almost every one of his points, the only thing i disagree with him is that he thinks nwn1 was nigh perfect. i dont.

edit: and of course i like the game, but the problems are there.

Volourn hit the nail on the head with this one. They guy really does make a lot of good points, however at least to me, a lot of those are low level complaints that I really don't notice when playing the game anyway.

He seems to want to bash the game, because it isn't NWN1 with just improved graphics. :devil:

yeah, the guy is a jerk

btw is this true:

- Modules. Notice how the game starts to "unpack module" every time you enter an area. That's right, that is how big the new modules are. The whole NWN campaign was comprised of four modules - one for a chapter. NWN2 has one for a miniscule area. That is pretty much the limit of what one NWN server can host - larger areas simply exceed the memory addressing capacity of modern computers. Say bye-bye to any notion of persistent worlds unless you have a cluster of servers to host your small village comprised of four areas. Say bye-bye to what made NWN so popular with the online community, and what to this day keeps up the interest of the game not just from the players but also from BioWare.

Well, I think the issue here is that fellow seems to hate KotOR with a passion. The fact that their are a few similiarities between the two (which is going to happen to all games that share an engine) seems to infuriate him. Pretty odd, I liked KotOR and NWN, I don't need to get into a comparison argument to enjoy NWN2.

I found the following thread to be interesting but I don't know if it is THAT accurate. Maybe the guy is just a whiner. I am gonna get the game anyway...

discuss.

Even if you don't like the fact, but sadly he is right in most of what he said. :devil:

IB1OsQq.png

discuss.

Even if you don't like the fact, but sadly he is right in most of what he said. :devil:

Yeah, some of it is nitpicking, but the flaws are there and he got most of them. The inventory system is crude, the animations and skins are bland, and the areas are mostly lifeless.

But as others pointed out, his alleged premise (NWN2 should have been more like NWN1) and his conclusion (NWN2 sucks) are both arguable. One could accept all of his arguments and still conclude that this wasn't as bad as he makes it out to be.

Well, he just helped me make my mind up whether to buy or not. I'm so gonna get this game when it gets released here in Australia (on the 16th I think) :D

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Seems like this guy doesn't like NWN2 at all and decided to point out every little fault in it that he could find. I agree that the interface needs polish and i'm surprised patches are needed to fix it. I'm also unhappy with the crappy pathfinding that sometimes prevents characters from reaching a location 15 feet ahead. AI could probably need work too but since i control all my companions i don't care. Everything else is pretty trivial and doesn't distract me from enjoying the game.

As far as i'm concerned NWN2 is the best RPG in years :ermm:

Dear god... he's bitching about the Quickcast menu...

It seems like everything he's bitching about for the most part was in NWN1.

I for one thought NWN 2 was vastly superior to NWN in almost everything. The only thing I have problems with is framerate and pathfinding.

Pathfinding is retarded. I'll click to go somewhere and he runs right into a box and now he can't get around it unless I go backwards. Thats stupid.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Dear god... he's bitching about the Quickcast menu...

It seems like everything he's bitching about for the most part was in NWN1.

I for one thought NWN 2 was vastly superior to NWN in almost everything. The only thing I have problems with is framerate and pathfinding.

Pathfinding is retarded. I'll click to go somewhere and he runs right into a box and now he can't get around it unless I go backwards. Thats stupid.

Of course NWN2 is better than NWN, but it doesn't take much to make a game better than NWN, does it?

He makes valid observations, even if the conclusions he draws from those observations are invalid. I personally noticed how being "evil" in NWN2 means being a caricature, to the detriment of the game. The best evil characters, imo, are the manipulative ones, but NWN2 doesn't give tact to its evil. In NWN2, evil characters are incapable of having honeyed tongues, they have to insult and provoke, else they're just peculiarly sour neutral-aligned characters. Beyond that, evil characters pursue the same goals and reach the same conclusions as good characters. I would have chalked it up to the talent of Obsidian to make a little room for roleplaying, but they didn't.

Edited by Pop

Easily fixed with a patch.

It still requires a few patches to optimize it, that

Bankai - "Zabimaru Howl !"

discuss.

Everybody has an opinion, i guess.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The guy is a schmuck.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I agree with much of what he has to say, especially:

"Obsidian not only forgot the saying that if it's not broken, one shouldn't fix it. They willfully decided to go against it and stripped Neverwinter Nights of just about everything that made it a good game to make the so-called sequel."

An indication that he isn't alone in this thinking is the overwhelming protest by most members at the Bioware forums. The moderators made two different stickied threads, 1 for the satisfied and one for the disappointed. The satisfied thread (Fine Wine) is still in thread 1, while the dissapointed thread (Sour Grapes) is well into thread 2 and approaching thread 3. Which of course is telling that at least double the people at the bioware forums are disappointed in someway with NWN2.

:'(

Edited by Guest
soulthiefsig5fl0.jpg

"I for one thought NWN 2 was vastly superior to NWN in almost everything"

You, for one, are wrong. It has a lot of things it does better; it also does a lot of things worse. The sad thing is that as a sequel there's no excuse for it doing *anything* worse.

Again, the biggest reason why the guy in this case is a moron is he's too busy whining about some similarities that NWN2 shares with KOTORs series when either a) the similarities are superficial or b) KOTOR like NWN2 was amde with the Aurora engine so of course they share similarities.

The only real things KOTOR/KOTOR specific that NWN2 has is the 'influence syustem' which has been around for years without the fancy name. They just used a matehmatical system to statistically keep track of your relationships.

NWN2's combat is 'similar' to KOTOR's combat because KOTOR's combat is si8milar to NWN's. LOL And, NWN2's combat is pretty much 99.9% like NWN's. It's the reason why I like NWN2's combat even though it's rather easy. I DESPISE KOTOR's combat since it's nothing but dumbed down NWN combat.

Soulfish: Nah. It's just because dissapointed people ar eusually more vocal espicially at release. People whined about NWN1 too at release. In the end, they meant crap just like anti NWN2ers mean nothing as well.

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

NWN2 is a great gamek, and remember that the NWN fanbase was always going to complain whatever NWN2 was, especially since Obsidian did it and not Bioware.

Not as bad as Fallout fanboys, but we have to realise that the millions who played NWN2 are now a demographic of their own in the CRPG market.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure that on the large NWN2 was a success story. There will be ienvitable "highprofile" modders and whatnots "leaving the community" because the sequel is "disappointing", but that never matters. Every new ship has its deserters.

edit: That said, the guy does have good individual points. I think despite having a lot of fun with NWN2, it felt more like a Bioware plot with more sophistication, deviance and sharp wit. I would put the OC on par with Baldur's Gate, but its story was never a Torment, or even anything special. Some moments were excellent but more in terms of gameplay (i.e. the idea of trial), or individual delivery (Haven / Shandra). The already mentioned point that evil dialogue options are still crappy is very true. I felt that flawed as KOTOR2 was (and NWN2 is definitely more fun), the K2 story was something more special in both its sophistication and its deviance. The NWN2 story is more like the IWD2 story; there are some elements that are interesting and provoke / emote, but on the whole its just another high fantasy tromp in terms of plot.

Edited by Tigranes