NWN2 bashed and thrashed

ramza

Actually, the reason I think he's a schmuck is because I feel it's rather obvious he went into the game with his mind already set into not liking it. His "review" sounds like he spent the whole time looking for all of NWN2's faults, while at the same time purposely ignoring any strengths the game might have. Hence the endless nitpicking.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Soulfish: Nah. It's just because dissapointed people ar eusually more vocal espicially at release. People whined about NWN1 too at release. In the end, they meant crap just like anti NWN2ers mean nothing as well.

I remember the community for NWN1 release. I was there (MordredsGhost) and don't remember it ever getting so much negative feedback as NWN2 is getting now. There were some bug complaints sure, but moreover the community was blown away by what i remember NWN1 being described as "Diablo for the new millennium".

soulthiefsig5fl0.jpg

I was there too, and Volo probably, and many others. :thumbsup:

"Diablo for the new milennium" is not a good name as far as I'm concerned, but whatever. If nobody complained about the fact that OC had the design competence of a blind monkey, at the very least, then we could install Jack Thompson as president and nobody would complain.

"Diablo for the new millenium"???? That would explain why NWN's single player combat is so awful. :thumbsup:

Heja Sverige!!

It was a huge success and perhaps the gameplay in multiplayer (which I haven't tried) gains a whole new level of depth and fun. But single player was like playing PnP alone, with a retarded monkey for a DM. That, coupled with the general blandness of the story and writing in the OC, made for a horrible single player experience.

What exactly, do you mean by epic?

Heja Sverige!!

It was epic if he meant the scope of the project, encapsulating DM client, Toolset, Multiplayer and Singleplayer.

The singleplayer campaign was not epic. Just becasue it's big and gives you so much loot/xp you end up killing dragons left and right doesn't mean it's 'epic'.

"That would explain why NWN's single player combat is so awful."

Yet, let me guess, you enjoy NWN2's combat which gtw is the same exact kind of combat. *shrug*

Tigranes: NWN OC was epic. It fits the definition to a key as does NWN2's OC even though I think the story itself is overrated. in fact, the story is worse than NWN1's BY FAR. Thankfully, it does other stuff well to make up for it.

"Just becasue it's big and gives you so much loot/xp you end up killing dragons left and right"

You described NWN2 OC!!!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yet, let me guess, you enjoy NWN2's combat which gtw is the same exact kind of combat. *shrug*

Tigranes: NWN OC was epic. It fits the definition to a key as does NWN2's OC even though I think the story itself is overrated. in fact, the story is worse than NWN1's BY FAR. Thankfully, it does other stuff well to make up for it.

"Just becasue it's big and gives you so much loot/xp you end up killing dragons left and right"

You described NWN2 OC!!!

NWN1 OC was better? :thumbsup:

IB1OsQq.png

Wow, all these opinions being stated as fact...whoopie.

The only truth I've seen is that whiners tend to hit the boards more frequently than satisfied customers. It makes sense, as those who are happy are busy playing the game. I think I'll go do that :thumbsup:

You described NWN2 OC!!!

I wouldn't mind if that was the only problem with NWN2's OC. In fact i don't even care about the OC. I'm more interested in guild and faction wars online, and multiplayer party play. With all fo the current bugs though it's unplayable online, and with no database support, my two favorite servers can't use factions so everyone has gone back to NWN1. There are too many things that make this unplayable to me at the moment.

btw: When i said "epic" i meant in terms of being immersive in what truely felt like a really big "world" with endless possibilities.. I can't "get into" my character now in the OC, not only did they nerf all of the stats i'm used to, but he looks lame, and fights lame, and i cant even see his stats all in one place like i could before so im not even sure what if anything has improved from the level before.

When I finally devoted hours to playing it felt like i was fighting the controls more than i was the hostiles.

I finally got pretty far into the game, but seriosuly just got sick of it all in Neverwinter after my 6th job for the thieves. An example is, there is one area where i was supposed to go and do a job "stealthy" (an assassination) , so i possessed Neeshka to try and do the job and told everyone esle to stay behind, so I'm sneaking into this place and suddenly my party (who i told to stay behind) appears there and blows my cover, they come ambling in like clods and dullards and ruined my stealth job. So there really was no way to do the job "stealthy" as Axle preffered, and I had to just hack n slash. That's just one annoying example out of thousands really.

I never really enjoyed the combat sequences because A. the controls are so scattered around I was forced to pause excessivly for each battle no matter how trivial B. I never really believed I was watching a D&D battle but rather puppets fighting crash test dummies and the spell casting was like throwing colored dye and diesel fuel on each other and you never knew which spell was which. Nothing is solid or distinguishable about moves or combat damage. Like I never knew when i landed a critical or not. C. It was increasingly difficult to identify spell types because they all looked so simillar or they were all so damn big and washed out details. D. All of the buff icons look the same as green little squares and I cant tell on the fly how "buffed" i am. These are just some examples of why im so frustrated i stopped playing.

soulthiefsig5fl0.jpg

When i said "epic" i meant in terms of being immersive in what truely felt like a really big "world" with endless possibilities..

You just described the antithesis of NWN1 OC.

I can't speak for multiplayer since I never really played MP in NWN1 either, so won't argue there.

As for your complaints about combat, it's all opinion. For myself I like pausing, squad combat is supposed to be tactical. If I didnt want to pausse I'd go play Gothic or play solo. Icons werent too small at all because I can remember what I cast, spell effects were clear enough and look pretty good but not excellent, critical damage is obvious if only because of CRITICAL HIT! popup (which I want gone), and the context/quickcast menus certainly take a lot less clicks than radial menu, unless you like spending 3 hours rearranging your quickbars. But hey, that's just my opinion, isnt it?

When i said "epic" i meant in terms of being immersive in what truely felt like a really big "world" with endless possibilities..

I can't speak for multiplayer since I never really played MP in NWN1 either, so won't argue there.

As for your complaints about combat, it's all opinion. For myself I like pausing, squad combat is supposed to be tactical. If I didnt want to pausse I'd go play Gothic or play solo. Icons werent too small at all because I can remember what I cast, spell effects were clear enough and look pretty good but not excellent, critical damage is obvious if only because of CRITICAL HIT! popup (which I want gone), and the context/quickcast menus certainly take a lot less clicks than radial menu, unless you like spending 3 hours rearranging your quickbars. But hey, that's just my opinion, isnt it?

I would love if critical would be shown as in Fallout ^_^

IB1OsQq.png

I would love if critical would be shown as in Fallout  ^_^

They might have some trouble maintaining the ESRB Teen rating then ;)

I'm really looking forward to have an oppinion about this game now :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That's nice, but you can't "pause" online... :(

soulthiefsig5fl0.jpg

I would love if critical would be shown as in Fallout  ^_^

They might have some trouble maintaining the ESRB Teen rating then ;)

I'm really looking forward to have an oppinion about this game now ;)

I don't want teen rating, kids get game anyway if they want it,

and i really want to have only once a real mature game with blood, insults, swearing, romances, sex, red light districts, lot of theft, intrigues, madness, assassination, and nicely animated deaths, MANY death animations, atleast 2 times more than fallout had.

:(

IB1OsQq.png

hmm

"Thoroughly average graphics, unoptimized engine (15-20 fps is standard for mid-range and high-end cards), linear Official Campaign, black & white ethics, bad UI, poor camera control, annoying voice actors, NPCs are way too talkative, every RPG cliche is hit, very little new content (no new voice sets or music), etc.

This is more of a standalone expansion than a new game. The game was rushed out, unfinished. Many features are simply not implemented yet, and we have to wait for new patches to get the same content that was in the original game. Not a significant improvement over NWN1. Buy it if you're a fanboy; otherwise, wait a few months, when the game will be ready to be released.

Although it is pretty nice looking technically speaking, it doesn't look good enough to be as taxing as it is. It is uncompromisingly slow on anything below a 6600gt or x800, even on low settings. My 7800GT plays it quite nicely, but expect to have unremarkable framerates even on a card in that range. There are some annoying bugs at this stage, but this is not all that surprising. Many of the former Troika employees came to work for Obsidian, and although Troika has never made a bad game, they have also never failed to release a slightly buggy game at launch."

soulthiefsig5fl0.jpg

"NWN1 OC was better?"

I never said that. Please read my post again. Thanks again. :(

"That's nice, but you can't "pause" online..."

Um. Yes you can. It's 100% up to the server admininstrator unless for some reason they took that option out of NWN2 which I doubt they did.

I just read the 101 things that are wrong with NWN2 post on the bioboards. Holy crap are they grasping at straws for some of those. I mean kneeling replaces sitting animation which destroys RP in multiplayer? WTF?

Out of those 101 things, I'd say maybe 30 were legitimate gripes rather than just opinions stated as fact, 20 of which were multiplayer issues so don't apply to me, and the other 10 could easily be fixed in a patch.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"NWN1 OC was better?"

I never said that. Please read my post again. Thanks again. :(

"That's nice, but you can't "pause" online..."

Um. Yes you can. It's 100% up to the server admininstrator unless for some reason they took that option out of NWN2 which I doubt they did.

LMAO Why in Hades would anyone want to pause in a multiplayer battle/duel? Does that make any sense at all? 1 person pauses, and the other is already ready, then vice versa, then one needs to pause again and the other is wating? You don't play much multiplayer do you?

Edited by Riftworm

Actually, I played NWN1 MP A LOT. Soulthief stated that you can't pause in MP. That's a flat out LIE. And, there are plenty of times where pausing makes sense. btw, MP doesn't always equal PvP or PWs, it could - you know - mean small group playing with a DM. Which, if you didn't know was the whole original mission statement of NWN series to begin with. It's also what sets it a part from 99.999999% of other RPGs.

Game over.

"Out of those 101 things, I'd say maybe 30 were legitimate gripes rather than just opinions stated as fact, 20 of which were multiplayer issues so don't apply to me, and the other 10 could easily be fixed in a patch."

When people hate a agme they find any exuse to hate even more. I mean, people who hated NWN1 complained about the music and voiocesets yet hardly a peep from those same folks when those same things are in NWN2.

people whined about NWN OC's death system, and the way it handled resting yet the death system is a mockery of the D&D death system in NWN2, and the retsing is basically the exact same thing as in NWN1.

In this very thread, someone whined about the number of drgaons in NWN1 (there were 7 IIRC), and NOT a peep over the 3-4 dragons in NWN2. *shrug*

People cried about how 'fast' NWN1's levelling was, and how much phat loot you got, and how 'easy' the combat was... yet those same things don't seem to bother those same people in NWN2.

Go figure.

The same can be argued in the opposite direction.

People are people.

OMG! I made a truthy!!

Edited by Volourn