Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

I should buy Death to Smoochie. Only have seen part of it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yeah Death to Smoochie is awesome, and plus the female lead is hawt.

Watched Garden State on IFC last night.

Despite Natalie Portman and Zak Braf efforts to make themselves the cutesiest couple ever, somehow its pretty easy to just suppress my hostilty and enjoy the film.

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Apocalypse Now. Just awesome.

A Scanner Darkly I want to see, I think I'll buy the DVD this weekend.

It fails to keep the mystery it's trying to uphold.. and comes off as a movie more about drugs than an actual story.. like a cross between Waking Life and Requiem For a Dream.. where the story goes out the window like in Waking Life (but still feels cool) and like in RfaD, speculates on the degredation of the human mind when we succumb to our weaknesses..

and after the seeing the movie I couldn't understand why they choose the title A Scanner Darkly .. a few dialouges briefly touches on the subject "what does a scanner see?", but that's about it.. the movie is far more about what we choose to see..

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

Death To Smoochie - Edward Norton again but this is a comedy.  Basically about this perfectly moral barney type character who is a nobody that replaces the corrupt Rainbow randolf on the biggest childrens tv show.  You see the darkest depths of children tv and such and its an awesome movie.  Robin Williams, Edward Norton, and Catherine Keener. It also features Jon Stewart and Danny DeVito.

Oh man, I forgot about that one. It's an unheralded classic!

"I'm Rainbow ****ing Randolph!"

Yeah Death to Smoochie is awesome, and plus the female lead is hawt.

I blame you guys for making me watch it... Well, actually I don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Saw The Last King of Scotland. Forest Whitaker was brilliant, as expected, and they did a decent job of making it clear that the progressive, "I want to help these people" white protagonist had his head planted at least partway up his ass (although they confused his altruistic motives and blindingly stupid self-aggrandizing a few times) Still, the editing and the quickening of the pace towards the end were somewhat obtrusive. Kind of a cop-out ending, too.

It fails to keep the mystery it's trying to uphold.. and comes off as a movie more about drugs than an actual story.. like a cross between Waking Life and Requiem For a Dream.. where the story goes out the window like in Waking Life (but still feels cool) and like in RfaD, speculates on the degredation of the human mind when we succumb to our weaknesses..

and after the seeing the movie I couldn't understand why they choose the title A Scanner Darkly .. a few dialouges briefly touches on the subject "what does a scanner see?", but that's about it.. the movie is far more about what we choose to see..

You do know it is based on a Philip K. Dιck book (from whence it gets its name), don't you?

I didn't like the film; it has a lot of promise (how could it not: PKD was a philosopher and a futurist), but was just not well executed. In fact I don't know if it would even be possible to make this as a traditional film at all: the rotoscoping did help, but it was not sufficient to save the film.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Oh sucky. Maybe I won't get it after all.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

You do know it is based on a Philip K. Dιck book (from whence it gets its name), don't you?

I didn't like the film; it has a lot of promise (how could it not: PKD was a philosopher and a futurist), but was just not well executed. In fact I don't know if it would even be possible to make this as a traditional film at all: the rotoscoping did help, but it was not sufficient to save the film.

If that was directed at me, of course I know its a Mr. D!ck story.

So it's nothing like the story basically? :blink:

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Saw Night at the Museum last night. I wanted to watch Rocky. ;)

It was worth the price of admission though just to see

**** Van Dyke play an ass kicking villain (!!!)

. I've never been a fan of Stiller and Ricky Gervais just played Brent once again, but Steve Coogan and Owen Wilson were the bee's knees.

Obsidian! They've blocked out **** but that's his ****ing name! :blink:

Edited by Tel Aviv

If that was directed at me, of course I know its a Mr. Dιck story.

So it's nothing like the story basically? :blink:

No, that was for Mr Rosbjerg's benefit. I haven't read the book (it's on my list), so I can't tell you how they compare. I would expect that the book is much superior, though, simply because the medium is much more suited to the main conceit; IIRC there was a lot of voice-over interior monologue in the film to explain the plot, which is always a bad sign (and certainly not something I want to watch).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I had actually forgot when I wrote that last post.. but I know. Richard Linklater is a big fan of Phillip K.D, which shows in all his films ..

following your post I went online to do a little research as to why PKD choose the title of the book - and after reading it I understood more clearly..

- minor spoiler warning for those who haven't seen the film -

The title is a reference to a passage in the Bible in 1 Corinthians 13, which states:

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Just like Archer looks at his life through scanners to better understand..

- minor spoiler warning for those who haven't seen the film -

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

Idiocracy all and all really funny, although it kind of lags there a bit at end.

Mike Judge :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Lie With Me - that was a lot more of Eric Balfour's **** than I needed to see. Nude dancing definitely surplus to requirements.

Pretty much a film about people having sex. Wasn't really impressed.

Edited by Quixotic

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Saw Night at the Museum last night. I wanted to watch Rocky. :(

It was worth the price of admission though just to see

**** Van Dyke play an ass kicking villain (!!!)

. I've never been a fan of Stiller and Ricky Gervais just played Brent once again, but Steve Coogan and Owen Wilson were the bee's knees.

Obsidian! They've blocked out **** but that's his ****ing name! :p

You know I liked the film but

felt the opening with Stiller and his son was done so poorly as to be quite unbelievable in just how poor it was done. And the movie ultimately didn't NEED IT AT ALL. It was useless pap that I can't help believe some studio exec felt needed to be in the script so the film would have some "heart" or "meaningful meaning for families".

**** Van Dyke was fun, as was Mickey Rooney being punch happy.

Film I saw yesterday though was Pan's Labyrinth

Really good, really moving, really brutal at points. Very well made.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man