KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion

Well, quick explanation: There is block, attack, and power attack.

Block: Stops attack, is broken by power attack

Attack: Well, it is basic attack. Stops power attack, is stopped by block

Power attack: breaks block, is stopped by attack.

This is (over)simplistic version of fighting game like Dead or alive or Tekken. It fits for JE nicely, since it is asian world and fights are mostly martial arts. For that kind of game (and to its world) this is perfect. Oh, it is little bit spiced up by all kinds of different fighting styles.

However, we all know how Kotor series have been. And such simple system would really ruin fights. No flurry, fighting feats etc.

Heck, in JE there even isn't D20 system. And Kotors are D&D games... <_<

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Hey guys...want your input on this. I was on LucasArts KOTOR II discussion forum and came across a posting with the below link. Is this confirmed or for real or is someone just getting carried away with their wishful thinking. The link at the bottom of the blog gives a rough outline of KOTOR III.

http://blogs.starwars.com/4eDPNw6Y/91

This is fake. The blog is by an unoffical member who apparently got excited by seeing a very old rumor. I've seen this before. Notice at the top right (Speculation for now).

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/archive...on-for-now.html

Keep in mind too that Bioware's resources are focused on Mass Effect, Jade Empire for the PC and a whole new RPG setting called "Dragon Age".

Hey guys...want your input on this. I was on LucasArts KOTOR II discussion forum and came across a posting with the below link. Is this confirmed or for real or is someone just getting carried away with their wishful thinking. The link at the bottom of the blog gives a rough outline of KOTOR III.

http://blogs.starwars.com/4eDPNw6Y/91

This is fake. The blog is by an unoffical member who apparently got excited by seeing a very old rumor. I've seen this before. Notice at the top right (Speculation for now).

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/archive...on-for-now.html

Keep in mind too that Bioware's resources are focused on Mass Effect, Jade Empire for the PC and a whole new RPG setting called "Dragon Age".

Thanks for the input Terranova. If this is fake, it just makes me want to go and strangle these people for having nothing better to do with themselves.

On Bioware's website, if you mouse-over the BIOWARE GAMES link at the top and a drop down menu pops up, if you look toward the bottom where it lists the games under "IN DEVELOPMENT", the last item listed just says New Next Gen Game...hmmmm. I wonder why they didnt put the name of the game and put that instead.

On Bioware's website, if you mouse-over the BIOWARE GAMES link at the top and a drop down menu pops up, if you look toward the bottom where it lists the games under "IN DEVELOPMENT", the last item listed just says New Next Gen Game...hmmmm. I wonder why they didnt put the name of the game and put that instead.

Perhaps they're not ready to announce the title of the game yet? Sometimes it's best not to advance the title of a game until you're far enough along in the game, otherwise you'll have thousands of questions from fans being asked that you still don't have an answer to.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, quick explanation: There is block, attack, and power attack.

Block: Stops attack, is broken by power attack

Attack: Well, it is basic attack. Stops power attack, is stopped by block

Power attack: breaks block, is stopped by attack.

This is (over)simplistic version of fighting game like Dead or alive or Tekken. It fits for JE nicely, since it is asian world and fights are mostly martial arts. For that kind of game (and to its world) this is perfect. Oh, it is little bit spiced up by all kinds of different fighting styles.

However, we all know how Kotor series have been. And such simple system would really ruin fights. No flurry, fighting feats etc.

Heck, in JE there even isn't D20 system. And Kotors are D&D games... <_<

I've never played jade empire but i have seen its fighting engine and it would not work for this game

Edited by JediKnight72

What SW games would need is defense. U should be able to block your opponents strikes with your lightsaber and be also able to deflect blaster shots (which works decently if u have Max Jedi Defense)

Well, there is defense in Kotor's.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

I know... but just for blaster shots... u can't block or dodge an enemies lightsaber...

:)

Yeah, but last part? What do you mean you can't dodge or deflect lightsabers?

My mistake... u can if u have a high DEX and reflexes

Okay, a quick rundown of "AC"

Armor Class! In a D20 system, basically, you roll a 20-sided die, and add your attack bonus to it. Your Armor Class is the number to beat, so to speak.

So, you have 20 AC. Their roll and attack bonus combined need to be below that (and outside the critical hit {read: automatic hit} range) to miss.

The reason dexterity is important in this, is that every two points into Dexterity, add a point to AC (unarmored or robes). Or allows you to make use of dexterity bonuses in armor. (AC +5, Max dex bonus of +3 -- Means you can get +8 to AC out of the armor if you have a Dexterity mod of +3 {16 dex} anything over that will be restricted by the armor.)

Reflexes aren't for melee combat, they're for skills(powers) and items(such as grenades) that require "saves." This works much the same way as AC. You have a set number to beat, usually listed in the power or item. You roll, and add your Reflex bonus.

So let's say an item has a DC (difficulty check) of 15. To take half damage. They attack! OMG ROLL, FOOL! You roll an 8, with a bonus of +6. You take full damage! You roll a 9, you take half damage (Unless you've got the improved evasion feats, where you take no damage.)

----

On Topic - The combat system, I like, though it needs tweaking. If the rumor of JEing it up is true, I'm sure it will not be a straight port, but will be tweaked substantially to fit the KotoR world.

Edited by CrimsonSahel

Hm when I fought Visas and Handmaiden I wished I could have defeated them without hurting them. Would be cool if there was a way to win a fight without bloodshed, like disarming or exhausting the enemy. A sort of careful, pacifistic fighting style. This could result in influence gain or even a conversation with the 'enemy'. I find the idea funny that I could have dodged all their attacks until they give up. Of course combat fatigue/endurance would be more important then.

Hm when I fought Visas and Handmaiden I wished I could have defeated them without hurting them. Would be cool if there was a way to win a fight without bloodshed, like disarming or exhausting the enemy. A sort of careful, pacifistic fighting style. This could result in influence gain or even a conversation with the 'enemy'. I find the idea funny that I could have dodged all their attacks until they give up. Of course combat fatigue/endurance would be more important then.

sounds good, but it could wear u out first haha, like fighting unarmed on marrowind ;)

I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone.

I really liked the two KOTOR games, but I thought there should be a couple of things that need to be taken care of.

1st of , a lot of people said that K1 was better than K2. I would say that the mechanics of K2 (UI, prestige classes, areas, influence on team members (albeit half baked)) were better, whereas K1 has a complete (short of) story.

Both games were short. Adding a couple of extra planets (at least) was needed in BOTH games. To put it differently at least 15 hours+ of gameplay. It is an RPG game after all.

Reusing old material, and some NPCs wouldn't be a problem, but the devopers should remeber that it is customers who buy the game not marketing directors. An unhappy marketing director is just that, an inconsequential thing. Unhappy customers are a totaly different thing. Interplay can attest to this argument. In fact

publishers and marketing directors should only contribute money. If they take over management, things are going to go very bad. Everyone is on a budget, but if the outcome is a crap game, then you will fail while being on budget. So DONT CUT LEVELS AND THE STORYLINE to make some deadline. If the game comes on March instead of Christmas we will STILL BUY IT. WE DO NOT BUY GAMES only on before

New Year's Day and before Eastern. Honeslly we do buy games in between holidays.

I am not sure when DnD 4th will be realeased, but if it does come soon, it would be interesting to include it in the game. As long as itsn't total crap like adnd. I am talking about systems here, not settings.

K2 concluded by saying that revan went on to discover the true sith. This is an interesting idea. Instead of making yet again a new character who happens to hear of revan at some point, it would be interesting, to have the previous character from K2,

going after revan, to learn of the coming war (with the true sith), and even join with him. Or vice versa revan from K1 finding the character of K2 alogn the way. And then the game elaborates on the nature of true Sith, their plans, their motivation, and at some point the player chooses whether he will fight to ascend the order of the true Sith to destroy them , or to use them. Given that the player would start of from a point in the story where his background is known, he could choose to take a couple of his companions along with him. E.g as revan he could choose from the K1 party. And on the way to find the true Sith they could complete the party.

There could be something like 5 or 6 planets to explore and ascend the hierarchy of the true Sith, 3 or 4 replublic planets where the pleyer collects info on the true sith and prepares, and another 5-7 intermediate planets to build up on the story, and to provide the player with backgorund on some NPCs that he will meet in the true SIth space, along with advancing the character and building up on the party.

Something similar to moving through planes and collecting info from DnD 3.5.

K2 forced the players toy use all the characters. This was good and it should be kept. But not expanded upon.

Also the idea of building your own items was good, and since Kx use the Modern D20 system, they could allow the player to fabricate any combination of things to create artefacts as long as they could make the DC check. In other words, instead of listing 4 or 5 items of each lightsaber component, say that an emiiter can be fabricated from these 10 materials, but the DC check for each of them is different. Even better it can be fabricated from the combination of X metal with Y non-metal in Z machine. The difference is that there is a greater variety of items, and a player cna choose to focus on attack / damage / special (slow, stun) in any way the like. They could make an emitter that does (stun/slow) with a crytal that increase the attack and onather one that increases damage. At any rate I am taking about an implementation of the craft skills from d20 3.5.

That's all for now, I apologise for the lengthy post,

everybody take care.

K3 is supposed to take place 14 years after K2? And it's supposed to be a follow up of Revan and the Exile? Meaning it'll be set circa 3937 BBY, and I'm sure that by then Revan and the Exile are getting up in age and they just wanna' settle down in an estate on Talus or something.

And I'm sure you people would love seeing the new Bastila :lol:

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

B-B-Bastila...Middle-aged... oh noes!

I think KOTOR 3 needs more play time. Meaning like more planets and side quests. It only took me about 21 hours to beat KOTOR 1 and 2. (21 hours each :D)

That would make it a lot of fun.

Edited by Ferr.M

"May the Force be with you."