KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion

Unless Darth Plageius is an immortal, then he would have to be a decendant of Revan and not the other way around.

Never tell me the decimal points -Space Invaders

Vader:When last we met you were the master and I the pupil. Now I am the mas- Obi:When last we met you were a noob with one arm being burned alive , you got PWNED

I understand what you mean about the mind replacing etc....you make a very good point. I guess other than having Revan just decide she'd rather go darkside i couldnt think of any other reason for her to possibley stray that far. (bear in mine though my hope for K3 IS that Revan returns to the DS or atleast, strays into it and possibly recovers)

Personally i still feel theres a balance between Revan and the Exile, one is full of the hforce (could you call it, overflowing perhaps?) and inspires and gains respect from those around her. The other "hijacks" if you will the force connections of those around him and in doing so inspires their loyalty in him.

And the way Kreia words it, Revan is the heart of the force and Exile the death of the force, it creates (to me anyway) a sort of balance between the pair, one counteracts the other. Although the Exile does have the ability to go beyond his level of force power, with each death he causes he grows stronger. Also he leeches from other force users around him which would increase his power aswell. The Exile basically is like Nihilus, except LS and he doesnt kill people with his leeching, but id imagine if he went DS he'd have the exact same "feeding" power that Nihilus utilised.

As for Revan being anyones ancestor etc...I think shes just an unusually gifted force user with extreme potential in the force. Perhaps that potential does stray into healing or prolonging life but that doesnt mean shes related to anyone in the Star Wars universe. Its abit like saying those who use force lightening are all related lol.

Edited by master_pendrak

I think that once Revan was blasted by Malak on his Interdictor-class flagship, Revan was unconscious for some time, and when he came to he had no idea as to who he was, and then the Jedi Masters, including Vandar and Vrook and some others (who may have died before K1) decided to convince him of his new identity.

Y'know kinda like how some people'll barely survive an accident and then have to be reminded of who they are...

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

There are two real things I think the third KOTOR needs to include.

One being a storyline revolving around the events that occur after the end of KOTOR2... That being Revan's dissapearance to the outer rim. There is so much room for speculation as to what happened to Revan, it drove me mad at the end of KOTOR2... Making a game take place in another period while leaving such a giant cliffhanger after KOTOR2 would be terrible.

The other is what I'm sure many people were upset about in KOTOR2... There were no hooded cloaks!! Making it optional to put on the hood or not would make the masses oh so happy.

I also see alot of debate on whether the third KOTOR should be played as the Exile, as Revan, or as a new character.

I'm sure most people consider Revan being the main character of KOTOR, and if there is a creative way to make him able to level up (being an RPG) through the game again, (aside from another memory wipe) then I'm all for him being the player character.

Aside from that, there is always the option of starting off as a new character, leveling up and becoming a Jedi, all revolving around a Revan/Exile search or connection story. And when the time is right, you switch over to Revan/Exile (or in other words, you get a powerboost, much like when you first become a Jedi in KOTOR1/2) in order to complete the story.

Such an event can occur with the new PC sacrificing themself, or being killed defending Revan/Exile for just one example.

Or if your character is on the opposing force side of Revan/Exile, they can be killed by Revan/Exile.

Through a series of chats or something along that line (room for creativity again), you figure out what you played Revan/Exile as in the last series. (Decided before your confrontation with Revan/Exile of course)

Great thing about this is, you dont have to follow what you did in the previous games. Lets say you were playing the light side with your PC, and decide you are bored with that mid game, or semi-mid game (whenever story switches to Revan/Exile)... You can now switch over to a powered up dark side character, or you can continue on the path of light, and visa-versa. With a reset skill points of course. This way you can choose to keep Revan/Exile the same as your PC or go a different path.

The only problem with this is, gamers might get too attached to their PC... But if they die in an honorable way, or by a more favourable character, then there would be less of an effect.

As for Revan vs Exile... I played both KOTOR games with near obsession of storyline, and when I think of KOTOR in general, Revan as a developed character just stands out more clearly... That being said, I rather play as Revan because he stands out as more important, and has a better backstory.

Guest The Architect

Want to hear my theory on Revan and why he/she has been in the unknown regions all of this time? If so, prepare to read a long post...

When Revan's full memories returned he/she journeyed into the unknown regions do deal with the 'True Sith' in his/her own way. Now think about it, Revan departed known space a year after the Jedi Civil War (the events of KotOR) and regardless of whether your Revan was LS or DS, the Republic/Jedi (LS Revan) and the Sith (DS Revan) were in no position to challenge the 'True Sith'.

They were all in a weak state, vulnerable to attack. Anyone who's played KotOR II should know this, that a year after the Jedi Civil War that the Republic, the Jedi Order and the Sith from Malak's armada were in a weak position. If I have to explain myself to anyone (how and why all major factions from KotOR were weak 'when' Revan departed known space, then I will).

So one must ask themselves a series of questions. Number one, if this 'True Sith' threat were so terrible, then why didn't they attack the Republic/Jedi/Sith after the Jedi Civil War when all their enemies were in a weak, vulnerable state?

Furthermore, why did Revan go into the unknown regions alone, without any help? And how could Revan alone possibly stop the 'True Sith'? Also, if Revan is not dead, then one must ask themselves what has he/she been doing in the unknown regions all of this time? (He/she has been in the unknown regions for four years).

Now my theory is that I think Revan is staging a 'civil war' inside the Empire of the 'True Sith' regardless of whether he/she is LS or DS. If Revan was LS, then he/she has had to embrace the power of the dark-side (a sacrifice, which correlates perfectly with Kreia speculatingthat she beleived Revan knew the difference between a fall and a sacrificel) in order to stop the 'True Sith'.

If your Revan was DS in KotOR, then this is merely just an extension for his/her quest for power. Once a DS Revan remembered the threat of the 'True Sith', he/she saw them as a much greater threat to his/her own dark Empire than a crippled Republic and Jedi Order, so he/she went to conquer the greatest enemy.

Once he/she becomes the Dark Lord of the 'True Sith', he/she will conquer the Republic without breaking a sweat. DS Revan left his/her companions behind, because Malak's betrayal taught him/her that he/she cannot trust anyone, not even Bastila, not when there is so much at stake.

If your Revan was LS in KOTOR, he/she remembered the threat of the 'True Sith', and that he/she had originally embraced the power of the dark-side to stop their impending invasion. LS Revan meant to do a little evil to prevent a greater one, a sacrifice, becoming evil for good intentions, however, as the war progressed, Revan became seduced by the dark-side and attempted to conquer the Republic that he/she had sworn protect instead of sticking to the original plan of leaving the Republic's infastructure intact and focusing only on crushing the Jedi Order.

So once LS Revan remembered this threat, a year after the events of KotOR, considering the state the galaxy was in (Republic, Jedi, Sith) the only way he/she saw to end the threat of the 'True Sith', was to go to the 'True Sith' Empire, sacrifice himself/herself to the dark-side again, and then attempt to subvert the regime of the Dark Lord of the 'True Sith' from within by starting a 'civil war'. And LS Revan left his/her friends/companions behind, because he/she did not want to unnecessarily endanger them either through the 'True Sith' or his/her own dark self as Darth Revan.

Either way, this explains where Revan is, and what he/she has been doing all this time. And guess what? This way, Revan could definately appear in KotOR III (if there is one) again, as a DS Sith Lord with his/her mask on. If you set Revan as LS, then he/she is redeemable, if you choose to try and save Revan that is, but if you set Revan as DS, then he/she is not redeemable and must be stopped (or DS'ders could become his/her apprentice if they choose to). Make your choices mean something.

This 'civil war' idea explains why Revan has been gone for so long and what he/she has been doing, it also explains why Revan locked his/her navicomputer and was so secretive about where he/she was going (not only because a LS Revan didn't want to endanger his/her allies, but also because a LS Revan wouldn't want anybody to find him/her (hence locking the navicomputer) and potentially ruin his/her master plan and if Revan is DS, then he/she doesn't want anybody going with him/her because he/she doesn't trust anyone and also, if Revan's plan backfires, then at least the Republic/Jedi or the Sith (depending on Revan's alignment, should be given enough time with Revan's plan to rebuild themselves and prepare for any possible invasion).

This is why I think Revan told Mandalore to regather, reunite and rebuild the Mandalorian clans, because not only could Revan trust Canderous, he is a loyal beast afterall, but also because if Revan's plan backfires, the Mandalorians are there to fight the 'True Sith' if necessary, and it's not like they'd turn away from battle, add that to the fact that they respected Revan's skill in the battle and tactics during the Mandalorian Wars.

And also, this 'civil war' idea explains why the 'True Sith' did not attack the Republic/Jedi/Sith after the Jedi Civil War when they were clearly in a weak, vulnerable state, because Revan's 'civil war' plan must be working and he/she is scrweing up the plans of the 'True Sith'.

The 'civil war' idea also gives us a chance to show Revan's supposed 'genius', it also fits in well with the whole Sith teaching that they must continually test their strength against each other, and it also makes things easier for the devs of KotOR III (if there is one) to bring Revan back, since you don't have to worry about Revan's appearence (the mask) and you don't have to worry about writing eight different Revan's, which makes things a hell of a lot easier and workable for the devs. All you need is two voice actors (male and female) and to change some of the dialogue towards the end (depending on Revan's alignment and the choices of the new main character).

Besides, I'm sure Revan knew that if he/she did not try the 'civil war' plan, then the Republic/Jedi/Sith were screwed anyway, as the 'True Sith', who are supposed to be all mighty and powerful, would have crushed anyone who stood in their way in their inevitable attack on the galaxy, right?

The only thing that I think could shoot down this theory is how Revan managed to successfully infiltrate and start a civil war amongst the 'True Sith' Empire. But I think that the 'True Sith' were already in the middle of a civil war against each other (it is the way of the Sith after all, to fight amongst each other for power).

And since we are told how Revan had a gift for converting others (and tactics) I don't find it impossible to imagine that Revan could of travelled to the weaker planets of the 'True Sith' Empire and gain control of the lesser Sith factions by demonstrating his/her skill, plan, powers and tactics to them.

Sound reasonable?

Edited by The Architect

There are two real things I think the third KOTOR needs to include.

One being a storyline revolving around the events that occur after the end of KOTOR2... That being Revan's dissapearance to the outer rim. There is so much room for speculation as to what happened to Revan, it drove me mad at the end of KOTOR2... Making a game take place in another period while leaving such a giant cliffhanger after KOTOR2 would be terrible.

Agreed, if K3 didn't follow up on the events of K2, it would be a disappointment, and it would be kinda like Ep. III having a cliffhanger ending while Ep. IV starts the way it does.

The other is what I'm sure many people were upset about in KOTOR2... There were no hooded cloaks!! Making it optional to put on the hood or not would make the masses oh so happy.

I have no idea how many times this has been asked. LOL

I also see alot of debate on whether the third KOTOR should be played as the Exile, as Revan, or as a new character.

I'm sure most people consider Revan being the main character of KOTOR, and if there is a creative way to make him able to level up (being an RPG) through the game again, (aside from another memory wipe) then I'm all for him being the player character.

See: Canderous in K1 and again in K2

Aside from that, there is always the option of starting off as a new character, leveling up and becoming a Jedi, all revolving around a Revan/Exile search or connection story. And when the time is right, you switch over to Revan/Exile (or in other words, you get a powerboost, much like when you first become a Jedi in KOTOR1/2) in order to complete the story.

Such an event can occur with the new PC sacrificing themself, or being killed defending Revan/Exile for just one example.

Or if your character is on the opposing force side of Revan/Exile, they can be killed by Revan/Exile.

Through a series of chats or something along that line (room for creativity again), you figure out what you played Revan/Exile as in the last series. (Decided before your confrontation with Revan/Exile of course)

Great thing about this is, you dont have to follow what you did in the previous games. Lets say you were playing the light side with your PC, and decide you are bored with that mid game, or semi-mid game (whenever story switches to Revan/Exile)... You can now switch over to a powered up dark side character, or you can continue on the path of light, and visa-versa. With a reset skill points of course. This way you can choose to keep Revan/Exile the same as your PC or go a different path.

The only problem with this is, gamers might get too attached to their PC... But if they die in an honorable way, or by a more favourable character, then there would be less of an effect.

As for Revan vs Exile... I played both KOTOR games with near obsession of storyline, and when I think of KOTOR in general, Revan as a developed character just stands out more clearly... That being said, I rather play as Revan because he stands out as more important, and has a better backstory.

Interesting thoughts, though if we ARE going to be a new PC, I would want the new PC to not be a Force-Sensitive whatsoever, and I think the new PC should at least find a beat-up T3-M4 in a junkpile somewhere (or something similar)

... and I'm not entirely sold on the "reset skill points" thing, though... Maybe you can develop on that a little bit more?

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

What I meant by the "rest skill points", is that once your PC no longer becomes playable, and you switch over to Revan... you wont be stuck with the force skills and stats that you applied to the original PC... Therefore once you switch to Revan, you arent forced to be the same type of jedi with the same type of skills that your PC was.

And I'm all for the PC not being force sensitive, but rather being a mercinary, or scoundrel or whatever. The main purpose of the PC is just to teach the game mechanics, and to introduce Revan back into the storyline.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The way I see it in my head, is that your character plays in the familiar settings of KOTOR 1 and 2 for a bit (with new worlds and levels of course), leveling and setting up the plot... how the galaxy is dealing with the events of KOTOR2 and your characters relation to Revan, or someone close to Revan from the previous games, such as Bastila, Carth, Exile, list goes on... Although Bastila and Carth stand out the most.

NOTE: Not all of the galaxy will be explored, considering that the new PC will only be in the begining portion of the game.

Then the story ultimately leads your character on a journey to a distination between the known galaxy, and the outer-rim...

While on your way, you find a near death Revan who had barely survived a fierce battle... Revan is taken back to the known territories and is recouperated... it is at this time that you take over Revan as your PC. Also note that your original PC can either be killed off, become an NPC, or become part of your team.

Waking up from recouperative sleep, Revan reunites with whomever, and VAGUELY explains what happened to him in the outer rim, and some events that led up to the prementioned fierce battle.

At this point you are in fimiliar territory, and are one of the most powerful jedi around you as left at the end of KOTOR1, however because of the ferious battle and injuries sustained, you are in a weakened state.

This gives you the oppertunity to explore the rest of the fimiliar galaxy with new levels and worlds, and to meet familiar faces as well as new ones. Get equips, do quests, participate in political events, and be targeted of course by different factions (The former Sith Lord and savior of the republic has returned? Of course the rumor will spread fast and far)

Of course during this time, your wounds heal and your power increases, getting back lost jedi skills or whatever.

(simple reason for why you dont have ALL the jedi skills available... of course with every new game, comes new skills and attributes, so those can aid to the development of your Revan character so that it doest feel like you are using the same techniques the whole game)

~ Reasons for keeping you in this Galaxy could be many. (besides leveling up of course)

* Trying to find more power to fight the true Sith

* Trying to persuade the republic to prepair for a Sith attack

*Trying to bide time before you TRY to once again leave alone to battle the Sith

* Hell, even as a dark side, you could be trying to control the republic fleet, or gather more to your cause to overthrow the true Sith and become the Dark Lord again.

You will get to display your ownage as Revan of course along the way. Which is one of the funner aspects of being an all powerfull Jedi.

(the first two games were so easy, I felt like I was owning everyone the entire game, which is fun most of the time, but sometimes, challenges were needed, and displayed as strategic problems and mini bosses/bosses, which can still be implimented)

However the impending threat of the true Sith has not dissapeared... Therefore Revan and company are lead back to the outer-rim which for the first time YOU get to explore as a gamer.

There you will get stronger opponents and will be able to level up more. And the game will continue on to new territory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thats a quick and simple way to bring Revan back into the game without having him unable to level up, unable to gain new skills, and unable to be presented with a challenge... Techniques like having a new PC, Recouperation, mini games, being forced to play as some of your companions along the way are all simple and effective meathods to shake up the game.

There are alot of other creative and workable scenarios. But I just wanted to quickly show that its easier than one would assume. As well this makes for a VERY LONG game, with a huge lasting effect. What could be more perfect?

Edited by savaged

Want to hear my theory on Revan and why he/she has been in the unknown regions all of this time? If so, prepare to read a long post...

*LONG TEXT*

Sound reasonable?

I read it all, then i deserve a cookie, right?

Anyway...

That text was completly awesome IMO :o , and, it actually sounds like a plausible story for an KotOR III IMO. :D

Edited by Accept

Indeed this thread is getting long at 50 pages.

Continued here with part 21.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester