Replayability of games

But you said the game never gets stale. If you need to play a different game just in case the other gets stale, then you don't really believe it can't get stale.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It keeps my interest peaked, so why play something on a constant basis, if you know it will become dull over time? I get bored with things easy, which is why I play games like this, to combat potential boredom from a game.

So then it does get stale.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I was going to make the argument, but then I remembered Gabrielle didn't say anything about playing other games when she said it wouldn't get stale originally. I doubt she would have noticed, but I wasn't going to take that chance.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The only games I've played more than 10-15 times are strategy/sim like games, where you might have favorite levels that you like to re-play different strategies constantly.

Like Casear3. I've played that probably close to 50 times all the way through and some levels even more times.

I can see the point that playing RPG's with different teams/characters can be considered variety but I'm in the same boat where once the story/ending is known there has to be some compelling reason for me to keep playing...like becoming a fangirl of one character or something. :) I don't really know why playing a C3 level 70 times seems variable & fun to play over & over while playing BG w/3 wizards instead of 1 doesn't...they both require a different strategy thinking, to a degree...but RPG's aren't the same kind of strategy...maybe it's a brain thing.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My memory is far too good for me to be able to enjoy replaying games with a strong story and plot. It just isnt fun when you know exactly what comes next. Even with games I played 10years ago as a child, I still remeber large parts when I replay them.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I replay games from time to time but two that stick out that I replay every two - three months is Fallout and Fallout 2. It goes to show what great games those two were and still are.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Civilization 4. Stop doing crack is easier than to stop playing this game.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I've used about 500 thousand hours playing Thief 2's mods and fanmissions. Ah dinnae know aboot re-plauahbility, but ah'v'd fun, that's fer sure.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I've played through Wasteland a few times, but I can remember every single password and code in the game by now so it's not much fun anymore. One advantage of all that knowledge is that it is now possible for me to powerlevel up to like level 20 (or something) in less than an hour..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I can drop from dizzying heights on to a guards head without taking any damage, go swashbuckling with haunts and kill droids with a blackjack.

I know what you mean.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm more of a multiplayer gamer, and I find it harder and harder to replay sp games nowadays. The only RPGs I intend to replay at any point are PST and KOTOR2.

As Meshugger pointed out, Civ4 :D

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I played BG2 close to 100 times. I played BG1 maybe 30. I played FO2 a couple dozen, PS:T at least 12 times. I've played Jagged Alliance 2 and its mods so many times that I honestly cannot count.

I played KoTOR once. I played KoTOR2 once. I will not play either again.

Don't get me wrong, they were excellent games. But they were "story" games, the kind of game that you may stay up all night playing to find out what happens next, but once you are through with the game and the story, that's it. Fini. Over.

And no, the idea of playing a second time so I could be all red and evil was NOT enough motivation. :p

100 times BG2? You mean completely through? Jesus, some of you really have too much time on hand!

I play games mostly one time, extraordinary good maybe 2-3 times. Anything above that would lead me into pure boredom.

The only exception is System Shock 2, which I played 5 times across several years... So I guess Shock2 is my personal replayability-king.

100 times however.... And I thought I'm hardcore. :"> :p

Define "all the way through." :p In the 6 years or so BG2 has been out, I've definitely started close to 100 games, but you've caught me, I probably only finished half to a third of them all the way to the final cutscene. Usually I'd get this great idea for a new character and...

Well, you get the picture. :)

Yes, I have too much time on my hands. Thanks for pointing that out! LOL!

Usually I'd get this great idea for a new character and...

Well, you get the picture.  :p

That's what always happens to me. I get an idea for a character I want to play, but then I get into the game at some point and lose interest because I've "been there, done that".

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I've been playing some form of of a civ game more or less regularly for over ten years.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

My memory is far too good for me to be able to enjoy replaying games with a strong story and plot. It just isnt fun when you know exactly what comes next. Even with games I played 10years ago as a child, I still remeber large parts when I replay them.

We are cursed men. :blink:

It's not the memory that is the problem. It's just the type of person you are I guess.

I have an excellent memory, and usually have no problems remembering the details of a plot. But I can still play through a good game many times. In my mind, a good game is a good game :-

It's not the memory that is the problem.  It's just the type of person you are I guess.

I have an excellent memory, and usually have no problems remembering the details of a plot.  But I can still play through a good game many times.  In my mind, a good game is a good game :blink:

Can you watch your favorite movie over 100 times? I can't do that either.