Gamespot Rumor: Troika shutting its doors

Gryphcon

If they fold, I wonder who keeps the rights to Arcanum.

I actually liked the setting.

That's an easy one. VU. They've always had it, as it never belonged to Troika even though they developed it.

If anyone has ever wanted to own their own non-commericially viable RPG setting, please send a self addressed envelope to:

VU Fire Sales

8934 Waterford rd.

Springfield, MI 50947

Attention: Jim

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delievery

Sammael wrote "1. You can play in third person"

Yes, you can. Unless, of course, those (many) times where the computer automatically forces you to change views. Very annoying that. Very annoying that.

As for the rest of your BL comments, I agree pretty much 100% with your assessment of the game.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hopefully they have worked out some sort of deal with a major publisher. I remember feeling really bummed out when Relic 'sold out' to THQ...but then they turned around and produced their best product to date with Dawn of War.

Troika always struck me as needing a really strong producer / project lead who could make the most of the impressive talent in the company.

If they fold, I wonder who keeps the rights to Arcanum.

I actually liked the setting.

That's an easy one. VU. They've always had it, as it never belonged to Troika even though they developed it.

If anyone has ever wanted to own their own non-commericially viable RPG setting, please send a self addressed envelope to:

VU Fire Sales

8934 Waterford rd.

Springfield, MI 50947

Attention: Jim

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delievery

Sucks. I liked the setting. And viability is really based on advertising.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

This is what happens when you allow a gamestopper to go through QA. Its a shame that Troika never got to fulfill their potential but ultimately, they have themselves to blame.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What!? They're going under without giving me my damn VTM:B 1.3 performance fixer/bug stomper miracle patch!?

Again! Raped by circumstance!

Love the game, but jesus, not getting above like 10/fps is truly...truly a pain in the ass...even with all the effects off, or very close, and with bump mapping off... <_<

Arcanum......never could get past that one major city...t...t...tar...something. Didn't like the game much...combat seemed too clunky, and not very balanced.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I don't think people should be so quick to put Troika in their hole and forget them.

I for one hope they pull through this.

Resist ... Troika ... resist ...

* Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night *

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,

Because their words had forked no lightning they

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright

Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,

And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,

Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

:From The Poems of Dylan Thomas:

I :( poets...

Updates on the story I've been to lazy to post before:

MCA posted this over at the codex:

My understanding was that Troika still has people working in their offices, although at last count, I had heard it was the three founders and a senior programmer. I do know that there have been a number of resumes from Troika employees being sent out, and I know some of the more prominent members have already taken jobs elsewhere.

Based on the screenshots of their demo alone, however, I wouldn't count them out of the running. I will say that it is extremely difficult for a small developer to land a new project, and it's a process that can usually take several months (and it can always fall apart in the 11th Hour), so it may be that Troika is simply on a hiatus period until signing a new contract, at which point they can staff up again. I think that Bloodlines, despite criticisms here and elsewhere, is a strong RPG and probably one of the best Troika has ever done (and Tim has said as much), so that alone may help them gain a new contract.

IMO, I doubt that Activision pulled funding - most developer contracts involve royalties, so if Bloodlines does well, it may result in an influx of cash for Troika. However, it usually takes a few months before the royalties to actually begin to show from sales, so that's an obstacle. I will say that Activision and Troika were most likely in a difficult position in waiting for the HL2 engine to be done, so Bloodlines may have been kept putting pushed back and back and causing problems for both Troika and Activision - Valve could afford to take their time, but I doubt the other two companies had that luxury. I wouldn't be surprised if Activision would not want to be in that position again.

Regardless, I wouldn't count Troika out yet. It can just be difficult for a company to get a contract, and it's a long, involved process. If they don't get a contract, I'll be disappointed because that means that'll be less RPGs for me to play, and it was always my feeling that Troika always made an effort to try to push the envelope on their RPGs, which I think was important for the genre.

and

Leonard Boyarsky (CEO of Troika) talked to HomeLAN Fed:

However, HomeLAN contacted Trokia's CEO Leonard Boyarsky over the phone and he repeated to us what he told GameSpot; that the developer is still in business, although he told us that Trokia is currently "pursuing other options" for the company. A statement on Trokia's future will be made sometime next month although Boyarsky told us that the announcement will likely not come this coming week as the GameSpot rumor story hinted.

so, make of it what you will. It's clearly not business as usual over there, but you might want to hold off on the tombstone.

I still say EA buys them. O man, that would ALMOST be worth it to see the reaction at the codex.

Sounds like a buyout is in the works.  I really hope it isn't EA that does the buying though, that would make me very, very sad.  :(

You think Bethesda is buying a new development team for an new project of theirs ? :("

(just fun speculation, nothing else)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I would be sad to see Troika fold. They may not be perfect, but their games are at least a step apart from the bulk of what is classed as cRPGs these days.

Now, if Troika are absorbed into a larger company, but still allowed to function as Troika (like BIS were in Interplay), then that might not be so bad. What Troika need more than anything is proper team management. They just don't seem to have a handle on proper project management, time allocation and task distribution. They admitted that was a big problem with TOEE, and they seemed a bit better organised for Vampire, but it still suffered from what seemed to be disorganisation.

If they were absorbed into a larger company, they may have more resources (both financial and human), it may give them that extra push they need to really raise the quality of their games.

Chris' account is a bit sad, but also quite in perspective. Troika are very much in a niche market that happens to be on the small side of things; a break in production isn't surprising.

newlogo.gif

Actually I would like to see them bought out by a larger company. First reason, so they can continue making games. Second reason, if Bethseda or someone larger bought them out, then they would probably have an in-house full time q&a team like IPLY used to have. So, their games would be released with fewer bugs. I think you guys underestimate the advantage BIS and Bioware had/have when they can q&a their own games and not have to depend on a publisher like Atari to q&a them.

Also, you never know, they could be switching out of gaming altogether, and just become a software developer of some sort. If they felt the profits haven

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

"Troika are very much in a niche market that happens to be on the small side of things; a break in production isn't surprising."

Troika is not a niche devloper. Why do people propogate this myth?

Niche developers don't develop for licenses like D&D, and Vampire. Heck, they made a game based on the possibly the most popualr D&D module ever. Yeah, niche my behind.

"ToEE had multiple endings."

Role-playing is more than multiple endings.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Troika are very much in a niche market that happens to be on the small side of things; a break in production isn't surprising."

Troika is not a niche devloper. Why do people propogate this myth?

Niche developers don't develop for licenses like D&D, and Vampire. Heck, they made a game based on the possibly the most popualr D&D module ever. Yeah, niche my behind.

I'm not sure your looking at it quite right.

Think American style, PC only, TB, RPG.

Not the biggest market for that game, it would seem.