What You've Done Today - Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream.

Speaking of votes, I won a spot on my HOA board. Yay?

15 votes were lodged, and I was on all of them, but I am concerned because there are over 80 units in the complex. That's a pretty poor turnout. It's a new community too, so it's not like people should be burned out already.

Anyways, I have a lot of concerns and I'm deciding how to pace myself on them. :p 

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

15 votes were lodged, and I was on all of them, but I am concerned because there are over 80 units in the complex. That's a pretty poor turnout. It's a new community too, so it's not like people should be burned out already.

Anyways, I have a lot of concerns and I'm deciding how to pace myself on them. :p 

You should claim voter suppression and storm the HOA.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Declare those who didn't vote for you heretics and prosecute them?

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My condolences, Hurlshot :(

We had all wished for you to lose and be spared the consequences of your mistake of running for the HOA.

I understand the frustration at the non participation of people who could have voted against you.

Only solution now is to become an absolute tyrant and force them to organise a rebellion and overthrow you.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

7 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

15 votes were lodged, and I was on all of them, but I am concerned because there are over 80 units in the complex. That's a pretty poor turnout. It's a new community too, so it's not like people should be burned out already

That sounds about right. Our complex had 40 units in total and we never got more than like 12 people to show up and vote. Most were couples so it was only like 7 votes out of 40. The worst part was you could fill out an absentee voting ballot but nobody ever did.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Behold, The Hand of Gorth! 😂

Never mind my hand, I was shopping and needed some coconut milk. Then i saw the "organic" part and all the brainwashing from the past suddenly overwhelmed me. Organic milk, from free range cows... bacon from free range pigs... eggs from free range chickens and now this... somehow I just continued the line of text on the tin can inside my head - Milk from free range coconuts 😖

Yeah, the power of marketing 😔

6gQbOnf.jpg

• Haha 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

45 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

My son's school has been getting threats that someone will sound the fire alarm and then start attacking when the kids leave the rooms. What's wrong with people?

At some point my highschool was getting bomb threats every two days, until they caught the kid using the payphone from a camera across the street. He did not have fun after that.

On that topic for a year or two now Ukrainians have been calling in bomb threats to the head office of our national airline on the regular. Too funny...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Sign I play too many games when I dreamed my mom was killed, but I had chances to stop it. Somehow that led to it being a CoD clone as I found myself with a P90 (some how with a collapsible stock) at one point. 

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

My son's school has been getting threats that someone will sound the fire alarm and then start attacking when the kids leave the rooms. What's wrong with people?

So those threats apparently have spread across the country. Parents were showing up in droves to take kids out of my wife's school yesterday. It's tough because it certainly seems to be a widespread hoax, but it's hard not to take it seriously in this climate. That being said, I think people need to be careful with living in fear. I'm a teacher and I have kids in school. I'd prefer there be zero school shootings. But statistically you are still much safer in school than you are on the drive to and from school each day. 

3 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

That being said, I think people need to be careful with living in fear.

Isn't the natural state for Americans ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 9/21/2024 at 6:32 PM, Gfted1 said:

I just got done changing the front brakes for my neighbor a few door down. Man I love it when theres no stuck or rusted bolts and everything goes smoothly. My charge for services rendered is a large garbage pizza that she has to eat with me while we garage drink. :lol:

I wish I had your DIY skills, it must be so nice to be able to fix certain things yourself or do certain mechanical work 

I am completely dependant on service providers but I have started paying attention to things they do 

How did you learn your basic DIY skills, did your Dad teach you or are you self taught because you enjoy it?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I wish I had your DIY skills, it must be so nice to be able to fix certain things yourself or do certain mechanical work 

I am completely dependant on service providers but I have started paying attention to things they do 

How did you learn your basic DIY skills, did your Dad teach you or are you self taught because you enjoy it?

Its a very large savings to be able to do these things by myself. For example, the brake pads themselves only cost my friend $57 for the highest quality you can buy, but it would have cost her ~$300 if she would have taken it into a local shop for the same service because of the additional labor charge.

I guess Im "self taught". My superpower is that I can watch someone do a job once, and provided I have the correct tools, then I can forevermore do the job myself. Google is a big help too because I had to look up the proper ft.lb (foot pounds) for a 2016 Chevy Malibu lug nuts (its 100 ft.lbf in case you were curious :lol:).

• Like 3

So I also became active in that so called self made activity and decided its great idea to lay down glass wool myself today for my house reconstruction. Not ever again. Hope tomorrow fun with hardened polystyrene going to be much smoother sailing. Fondly remembering digging drainage on the weekend now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Got a JIRA ticket from a guy to help him with his PL/SQL course.  Pretty much made me switch off for the day

• Haha 5

I will be 56 soon.  😕 Meaning hubby will be 59 next year. I suppose I might look "50ish" to most people these days. But at least I still have almost zero wrinkles. No anti-wrinkle creams needed here. So there.

The other day:

Hubby: "It's going to suck if/when one of us wakes up to find the other dead in bed/couch/floor."
Me: " ...... um,. yes?"   (not sure what you say to that, heh)

Hubby's the far less pessimist/cynic in the relationship but his back is still getting him down/he kind of refuses to accept the situation in a way, yet. He's trying chiropractor again for pain management but I don't think it's doing a thing.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I will be 56 soon.  😕 Meaning hubby will be 59 next year. I suppose I might look "50ish" to most people these days. But at least I still have almost zero wrinkles. No anti-wrinkle creams needed here. So there.

The other day:

Hubby: "It's going to suck if/when one of us wakes up to find the other dead in bed/couch/floor."
Me: " ...... um,. yes?"   (not sure what you say to that, heh)

Hubby's the far less pessimist/cynic in the relationship but his back is still getting him down/he kind of refuses to accept the situation in a way, yet. He's trying chiropractor again for pain management but I don't think it's doing a thing.

Did he ever try physical therapy?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

For what it's worth, I've worked with...nine different PTs over the past six years or so, and I'd say six of them were somewhere between bad and terrible at their jobs and only made my injuries worse. But the other three were good at diagnosing the root issues of injuries and how best to work with and through them, understanding personal limitations and what was too much (or sometimes too little!), gave very personalized care that wasn't just rote nonsense from what they studied, usually had a very hands-on approach as warranted (as opposed to the types who just...stand back and tell you what to do while chattering on and on until your session is over), and ultimately were genuinely helpful. They didn't cure my chronic pains, but they did help make them better and life a bit more tolerable. If you or someone you know tries PT and you're not feeling like you're making any progress over a month or two, just...try out a different one - the level of knowledge, specific skills and abilities, overall approach to your care, and even just the ability to notice what's working and what's not can vary wildly from one to the next.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

For what it's worth, I've worked with...nine different PTs over the past six years or so, and I'd say six of them were somewhere between bad and terrible at their jobs and only made my injuries worse. But the other three were good at diagnosing the root issues of injuries and how best to work with and through them, understanding personal limitations and what was too much (or sometimes too little!), gave very personalized care that wasn't just rote nonsense from what they studied, usually had a very hands-on approach as warranted (as opposed to the types who just...stand back and tell you what to do while chattering on and on until your session is over), and ultimately were genuinely helpful. They didn't cure my chronic pains, but they did help make them better and life a bit more tolerable. If you or someone you know tries PT and you're not feeling like you're making any progress over a month or two, just...try out a different one - the level of knowledge, specific skills and abilities, overall approach to your care, and even just the ability to notice what's working and what's not can vary wildly from one to the next.

It's a protected profession over here, like doctor, is it the same over there?

I've had good experiences from my PTs, they helped me out with my back alot, working on problems with my shoulder right now. I'm not overly fond of chiropractors considering their origins, and I've never heard of one actually giving patients permanent solutions but people have to keep coming back. And I don't know of any licenced PTs that have killed or permanently crippled people.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 hours ago, Azdeus said:

It's a protected profession over here, like doctor, is it the same over there?

From what I can find out online, for the most part, but there are some specific exceptions carved out for certain states. For example, I just read that there is a law in Illinois specifically allowing chiropractors to be able to advertise themselves as offering "physical therapy" despite having no degree-holding licensed physical therapists on staff. I'm not sure exactly why Illinois is giving a bigger platform to chiropractor hacks, but yeah, I guess it'll depend from state to state.

• Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.