Cinema and Movie Thread: coming at you at 24fps

Raithe

15 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Is there a movie simply called The Man? Let's just distill all those The Man <Something Something> movies into one neat and tidy package.

The very final title in the list was just "The Man", though I have two notes about it: one, I listed it last but I actually came across it much earlier into making the list but wisely reserved it for the final entry; two, I actually saw two different movies with that title.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Not a movie per se, but about a movie. How to make a movie on a shoe string budget (and what little budget you had was donated by the rock bands of the time)... 😁

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 4/11/2024 at 7:52 PM, Bartimaeus said:

I've decided that I won't ever be watching any movies that start with "The Man". To my delight, I looked through my list of watched movies and I haven't already accidentally seen one.

Opting out of not one, but two, Alfred Hitchcock films, a John Ford film, a Coen Brothers film, a Terry Gilliam film, every adaption of a certain Dumas story, and if you're not that particular about the article "The", then also a Miloš Forman film.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Black Hawk Down. It is kinda amusing how a film about American event involving very American dudes has a cast with half, if not more, British actors. Also an Aussie and a Dane. Probably because the director was a Brit too. :biggrin:

On 4/15/2024 at 12:03 PM, Amentep said:

Opting out of not one, but two, Alfred Hitch**** films, a John Ford film, a Coen Brothers film, a Terry Gilliam film, every adaption of a certain Dumas story, and if you're not that particular about the article "The", then also a Miloš Forman film.

Hey, when you have to take a stand, that's just the way it's gotta be. Probably the only one I'm particularly interested out of those is the Terry Gilliam one anyways.

Speaking of the Coen Brothers...Burn After Reading (2008).

a7Z2qbi.jpeg

I'd been linked the ending scene in isolation before, and I figured since that was great and it's a Coen Brothers film, the rest is probably worth watching. But...I kind of feel like I could've gone without seeing the rest of the film. It's a funny enough movie, I suppose, but every major character with the exception of Brad Pitt's puppy dog impression being so utterly revolting the whole way through the film kind of dampered my enjoyment. Funny in of itself just doesn't get very far with me, which is why I hardly ever watch anything primarily labelled as a "comedy". Well, it's no Fargo, that's for sure.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

The Baker (2022)

The Retirement Plan (2023)

Pretty much old guy kills a lot of people when his estranged (grand)kids are put in danger. At the end of the day they're the same kind of movie, decent popcorn or background stuff but not really memorable.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

55 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

The Baker (2022)

The Retirement Plan (2023)

Pretty much old guy kills a lot of people when his estranged (grand)kids are put in danger. At the end of the day they're the same kind of movie, decent popcorn or background stuff but not really memorable.

I looked both of them up, and I am not convinced either of them are real movies. Are you sure you actually watched them? I think their promotional materials may have been AI-generated.

Smashing Time (1967).

p38736_p_v8_aa.jpg

So exactly what was in the water in the UK during the 1960s, anyway? It's a vaguely Alice in Wonderland-ish tale about two young ladies moving to London to try to become famous and their hijinks together...and then their rivalry against one another when they start to go different directions. It's supposed to be a comedy, but there's such a strange flow to all of it that it doesn't always land as would seem to be intended, but then it comes back around to being funny anyways because of how weird it is. I can understand why it wasn't received well in its day, but I enjoyed it...though I admit a certain bias, because Rita Tushingham as the primary lead is rather delightful, which certainly helps carry the film for me. I like that when I look up UK actresses, they so often have continued to act well into their old age: she has had a career spanning from 1961 to as recent as 2024. Whereas with actresses in Hollywood...the poor dears seem to be pushed out of the industry and forgotten so quickly.

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Are you sure you actually watched them?

No.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Woke up early, Satan sent me Stealth Fighter on TV for my sins. Ice T as a fighter pilot, enough said.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The Lair of the White Worm (1988).

lair_of_white_worm_poster_02.jpg

A very entertaining albeit rather clumsy and confused film. This was a very curious case of the villain being much more interesting and likeable than any of the main characters...initially, and then the Peter Capaldi (yes, Doctor Who) and Hugh Grant characters pull themselves together for some seriously wacky and outrageous hijinks that has the effect of making you like them as well, so in the end, you're okay with pretty much anything that might happen - whether the villain or heroes win, either way is perfectly good. Altered States is a much more well made film than this silly load of nonsense, but on the other hand, I actually liked this one exponentially more (and would rate Altered States as easily my least favorite of the Ken Russell films I've seen). This one didn't fry my brain like The Boy Friend though, so that one's still my favorite of the lot.

Spoiler

Shout out to Kevin for getting picked up by the very pretty and elegant villain on the side of the road, getting brought back to her manor, and then thinking nothing of the fact that she immediately starts lounging around in some kind of...cult-y succubus outfit before she drowns him in her bathtub when someone rings the doorbell. You truly made the best choices in life, Kevin.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Altered States is a much more well made film than this silly load of nonsense, but on the other hand, I actually liked this one exponentially more (and would rate Altered States as easily my least favorite of the Ken Russell films I've seen).

I think about this a lot, how there are things that you can appreciate the craftsmanship of but not enjoy as much as something that's lesser on a technical level but just works better for you. Frankly I've given up on trying to rationalize it and have just accepted my broken brain.

Posted (edited)

Rebel Moon part 2. Glorious visuals. Even dodgier plot, character development jumps, and tactical nonsense. I want to like what these very good actors are doing, but what they seem to be stuck working with is such a pile of drek...

I honestly wonder how the director's cut is going to actually provide some semblance of meaning to the whole thing, and does sheer curiosity of this train wreck inspire me to lose 5 odd hours of my life watching the combined version when it's released later?

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I knew this day would come and I'm glad I watched Neil Breen's latest MASTERPIECE before the RLM gang got their video out so that I don't have to avoid it until I see the movie myself, on account of having seen it already. I'm actually off to a BBQ party (the weather cooperated) right now, but I'm glad I saw this because I now have a very special treat to look forward to for when I get back home. :dancing:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

58 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

How many of these rebel moons are there going to be?

Per Zack Snyder it's going to be a six part trilogy. Yes I know that's not actually a trilogy but I guess that's the Snyder slomo for you.

• Gasp! 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

How many of these rebel moons are there going to be?

He wants to create his own version of Star Wars.  So the whole universe of potential main story films and spin-off films and related media.  But given the current reaction to Rebel Moon, who knows how far he'll actually get.

Edit: Plus, his thing of getting Netflix to allow him to shoot one version for the "theatrical release" on streaming, plus his specific "Director's Cut" version at the same time.  So everything that does come out will potentially have two versions....

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

^ Love the slo mo glory walk to that specific song. Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is #1 (even if/when I don't care much about the movie overall).  I thought he'd retired playing him? 😛

Dunno if I'll watch the movie (I still haven't watched Deadpool 2, either) but the trailer is fun. :)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Trilogy" .. "Six Films" ok.

But anyways. How is this even possible? Everyone says the first Rebel Moon movie is garbage (I wouldn't know, fell asleep while watching and woke up when it ended) and the second apparently is as well. So how the hell does he get funding for even more of that?

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

56 minutes ago, Lexx said:

But anyways. How is this even possible? Everyone says the first Rebel Moon movie is garbage (I wouldn't know, fell asleep while watching and woke up when it ended) and the second apparently is as well. So how the hell does he get funding for even more of that?

He has video of several Netflix executives engaging in acts so depraved they can't even be described.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

I assume it is getting views, so critical reception might not be as important. I'm also not sure that it is expensive to make. It looks fancy, but it is also super CGI'd, so maybe it is basically already sunk costs. I mean is it any worse than a lot of the stuff that is on the sci-fi network? Is it any more expensive? :shrugz:

It's just a shame because Cowboy Bepop was a lot more fun, and it feels like that got cut super short, but Zach Snyder gets a ton of rope with his mess of a project. 

Edited by Hurlshort

Late Night With the Devil (2023).

S16AKWP.jpeg

I got a few minutes into the RLM video about this and decided to watch it. I guess I was kinda in the mood for more Satanic stuff after playing Yuppie Psycho recently. I don't know if it's my hatred of late night talk shows, but legitimately the most fun I had with this was the first minute and a half where they had like fifteen different "we made this film!" logos play and I started to think that it was a joke. Ugh.

Edited by Bartimaeus