What You've Done Today - We do not remember days, we remember moments

ShadySands

On 4/21/2024 at 10:35 PM, Keyrock said:

I swear, this forum has THE WORST ****ING SOFTWARE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE ****ING LIFE. I have seen Geocities sites that were less of a pain to use. Whoever programmed this COLLOSAL PILE OF ****ING GARBAGE, I hope they were fired and never worked in software ever again.

I put up dealing with this DUMPSTER FIRE for as long as I did because I like Obsidian as a developer and I like many of the community here, but I just can't any more. 

I've noticed a lot of weirdness and intermittent ... page loading issues? recently. It is a bit tiresome.
I haven't liked the forum software for ages. I mean most of the time it functions, but yeah...it's kind of a mess from a user and QoL standpoint.

I still miss the code/uucode/bbcode or whatever it was called manual typing reply box mode.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

After switching out one of my large power strips, my PC (or the PS4) has not done any spontaneous reboots for a long time.
This week, it's done it twice. Pffft. Not the PS4 (yet) tho.

Is the 5090 (or whatever, just "next gen" mega gpu) out yet so I have an excuse to just build a new rig instead of troubleshooting one? Yes I'm that lazy.

Edit: my next PC, considering my age/interest level changes etc. I am going to attempt to build a crazy level PC that may end up being the last one I ever build. Maybe it won't work, but I envision after age 65+ not caring anymore and just buying a  SteamDeck or console or mini-pc (just for very old games) or something else that hasn't been invented yet, instead.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Last Week Tonight released their entire season 1 on youtube, so I've been binging that, and it's ****ing sad how much of their episodes could've been from today.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 4/28/2024 at 12:45 PM, uuuhhii said:

getting very sentimental these days

almost cried when house slipper of 15 years broke

does it come with getting old

What do you mean by house slipper? Do you mean like a shoe?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

54 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

What do you mean by house slipper? Do you mean like a shoe?

rubber slipper usually worn indoor or at swimming pool

Edited by uuuhhii
  • Thanks 1

accidentally updated chrome and now everything is blindingly bright on light mode

is there no brightness slider

couldn't remember how old the older version was 

really want to go back

and the extension now display 15 as 5 because the display and ui are squashed and bad

and couldn't delete downloaded file with 1 click now it take more time and multi clip

search around online and disable chrome refresh 2023 but nothing changed

Edited by uuuhhii

Properly anti social and listened to my music on my phone's speaker while cleaning the deck.  Forgot I have White Zombie's 'More Human than Human' on there, though. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Door knob update.

Bought a new door knob but it does not fit my door.

Stores closed now, so I'll have to check tomorrow if I can return it and get one that fits.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I have observed that since Keyrock's forum-software post, he has not been around. Did we lose him? Was that a farewell post? That would make me sad.. Although in truth I often wonder why I still keep coming here myself. Life twists and turns ... but some habits are hard to break. :lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I have observed that since Keyrock's forum-software post, he has not been around. Did we lose him? Was that a farewell post? That would make me sad.. Although in truth I often wonder why I still keep coming here myself. Life twists and turns ... but some habits are hard to break. :lol:

Hopefully not. I know we lost @Guard Dog to happiness, so as much as I miss him, I hope he stays busy with his new life. :p 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gromnir hasn't logged in for a couple of months as well. My suspicion that we're all just one person's alt accounts has never felt closer to the truth...

• Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Hopefully not. I know we lost @Guard Dog to happiness, so as much as I miss him, I hope he stays busy with his new life. :p 

I was going to ask if he isn't around because things worked out with the veterinarian.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

16 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Of course Keyrock may just be on the road with work.

@Guard Dog checked in a longer while back and talked about some serious health issues. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd really want it just him being happy and busy and all that jazz, but... you know. Never been an optimist.

• Sad 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, melkathi said:

Of course Keyrock may just be on the road with work.

I know this is the 'net and we could all simply "disappear" at any time, for whatever reasons etc. - I probably wouldn't have thought about it without that "forum software sucks" post. Just made me wonder, is all. :lol:  I've been gone for months at time more than once myself ... I just eventually keep coming back. :shifty:

Re: Guard Dog - he's also crossed my mind now and again and I do remember the health issue posts. Hope he's doing fine/beat those/happy.

Edited by LadyCrimson

@melkathi@majestic@Hurlshort@LadyCrimson

I just got word today from Guard Dog that he is well now, and really happy together with Gail! :)

And he sends his best wishes to y'all!

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hey Everyone! I was trading emails with Azdeus and he said I should come see you guys. It has been a while hasn't it. The beginning of last year I think. I didn't even realize how long until I signed in and couldn't remember my password. I really hope all you fine folks and your families are doing well! 2022 and the first half of 2023 were a pretty rough time for me. I was dealing with lymphoma but with the help of early detection, some really great doctors and medical folks I'm almost as good as ever. Please don't ignore symptoms. If you feel off please see a doctor. After that experience I decided to retire. Much earlier than I was planning but life is beautiful, and short. It's meant to be enjoyed.

Gwen (her real name) and I are still together and doing well. I don't know why I didn't want to use her real name online. It probably made sense to me at the time. I am so lucky to have met her. She is semi-retired as well and we are currently wrapping up a road trip to visit all the national parks in New Mexico. Eventually we will visit all the US & Canada national parks.  21 down, 90 to go. And forever to do it.

Bri is graduating from college next week and we will be there to cheer for her. She is an amazing young lady with a bright future. So proud of her.  I made peace with my brother I'm happy to say. I never really understood what the resentment was about but dealing with a serious illness changes your perspective on things.

That's pretty much it. I do miss talking to you guys. After a career in tech I'm doing retirement decidedly low tech. I barely even use the internet anymore. I hope all of you are happy and healthy.

• Like 14

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Heya Guard Dog,

Low tech retirement - nicely done! Life sounds as though it has been full, perhaps  not always easy since you were here last, but the national parks adventure has (I assume) revealed lots of surprises and beauty of life's up and down unfolding. Look forward to hearing more about your journeys to and from as time permits on the world of the analogue :)

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

1 hour ago, Fionavar said:

Joyfully began the new Obsidian Community Blog feature ... 20 years people! :) https://forums.obsidian.net/profile/666-gorth/

Aww I’ve got a badge 🥰

@Guard Dog yay, good to hear you’re Ok and enjoying life now 👍

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Gwen (her real name) and I are still together and doing well. I don't know why I didn't want to use her real name online. It probably made sense to me at the time.

With the real name I'll have to revisit my notes on all female veterinarians in that area. I mean, when you first mentioned her I did check all of them online for red flags. You gotta vet vets ya know ;)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Hey Everyone! I was trading emails with Azdeus and he said I should come see you guys. It has been a while hasn't it. The beginning of last year I think. I didn't even realize how long until I signed in and couldn't remember my password. I really hope all you fine folks and your families are doing well! 2022 and the first half of 2023 were a pretty rough time for me. I was dealing with lymphoma but with the help of early detection, some really great doctors and medical folks I'm almost as good as ever. Please don't ignore symptoms. If you feel off please see a doctor. After that experience I decided to retire. Much earlier than I was planning but life is beautiful, and short. It's meant to be enjoyed.

Gwen (her real name) and I are still together and doing well. I don't know why I didn't want to use her real name online. It probably made sense to me at the time. I am so lucky to have met her. She is semi-retired as well and we are currently wrapping up a road trip to visit all the national parks in New Mexico. Eventually we will visit all the US & Canada national parks.  21 down, 90 to go. And forever to do it.

Bri is graduating from college next week and we will be there to cheer for her. She is an amazing young lady with a bright future. So proud of her.  I made peace with my brother I'm happy to say. I never really understood what the resentment was about but dealing with a serious illness changes your perspective on things.

That's pretty much it. I do miss talking to you guys. After a career in tech I'm doing retirement decidedly low tech. I barely even use the internet anymore. I hope all of you are happy and healthy.

Fantastic  news about your health GD, excellent to hear

What a great retirement decision, you always spoke about travelling around the US and seeing the national parks. Now you get to do it in good company with Gwen 

You should create a blog with a one page story about each park, call it something like " A dogs journey around the gardens  of the  USA "

Those types of tourist  and interesting stories are always appreciated 🥂

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela