In Space No One Can Hear You Scream a Funny Thread Title - The Starfield Thread

Keyrock

For the record, I am not and will not be playing Starfield. From everything I have seen, heard and read, it is just another Bethesda game. A tedious, shallow, badly written sandbox(ish) game with very sub-par technical aspects to make your own fun in, except this time large parts of it were intentionally made boring to boot, as per the developers' own admission. 

Already played the same game well over two decades ago and found it wanting. Hard pass. :p

6 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Compared to what he says about some animes or ST:D, he is loving Starfield.🙂

Better? :p

Imagine what I could say about it if I got to play it, but unless someone wants to buy me a copy I am not going to. I could do more useful things with the money, like setting it on fire or throwing it out the window.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

34 minutes ago, majestic said:

For the record, I am not and will not be playing Starfield. From everything I have seen, heard and read, it is just another Bethesda game.

Eh, it’s on GamePass so I will give it a go. If I get bored with it after an evening or two, at least I won’t spend on it £20plus like I did with Skyrim. 

• Like 1

My "I'm bored" motivation to try this game sooner rather than later has mostly disappeared and I've gone back to feeling neutral and reminding myself that I don't find Beth. rpg's very inspiring. Note, I don't actively dislike them, they just never trigger any sense of "just one more level" type of feeling so I end up forgetting about it/never turning them on again.

Btw, is it true one has to do specific ... missions? ... to level up/put a point in skills, every time, or something along those lines? Kill everyone with melee, or a pistol, or whatever, that kind of thing?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Btw, is it true one has to do specific ... missions? ... to level up/put a point in skills, every time, or something along those lines? Kill everyone with melee, or a pistol, or whatever, that kind of thing?

You don't have to do anything to unlock the first level of a skill, but to level the skill up, you need to complete a challenge. For example, to increase my persuasion skill to level 2, I need to successfully persuade people 5 times.

I had my first mission where I needed to actually be a decent pilot. It was pretty tough at first as I figured out how to balance my power levels to the shields, guns, and engines. Also thank goodness I upgraded my ship with missiles. Once I got the hang of the dogfight, it turned out pretty well. I'm curious how well an actual decent battleship handles in combat. Diemos has some pretty sweet looking rides.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, majestic said:

it is just another Bethesda game. A tedious, shallow, badly written sandbox(ish) game with very sub-par technical aspects to make your own fun in, except this time large parts of it were intentionally made boring to boot, as per the developers' own admission.

I've watched some people playing it and I can see the shallow aspects. But I still wanna play it. It's just a question of how long I'll wait/how much I'm willing to pay for it, since it's quite expensive.

7 hours ago, majestic said:

Imagine what I could say about it if I got to play it

1tc9bpmo3f921.png

sign.jpg

2 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

I've watched some people playing it and I can see the shallow aspects. But I still wanna play it. It's just a question of how long I'll wait/how much I'm willing to pay for it, since it's quite expensive.

Don't worry, Bethesda is probably going to release the game on every device with a display at some point in the future. You can get the 1st, 5th, 10th and probably 15th anniversary edition on your next smart-fridge for only $ 99.99 in the next years, with upcoming releases on the Playstation 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 as well as XBOX SERIES Y, Z, AA, AB, AC, AD, AE and the Nintendo Switch 2, 3, 4 and 5. :p

There's bound to be a sale coming at some point. Or you can just sub to Gamepass for a month or so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Played a bit this evening. I am quite disappointed how traveling with ship is handled. Not the mechanics behind it, but that they didn't try to make it immersive - they encourage fast traveling (can one not fast travel? I have figure out how to set up jumps landing without using fast travel feature) a bit too much. I expected for it to be more like Freelancer - fly to a specific part of the planet and than trigger cutscene. If there is some form of cruise speed, I haven't found it.

28 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Played a bit this evening. I am quite disappointed how traveling with ship is handled. Not the mechanics behind it, but that they didn't try to make it immersive - they encourage fast traveling (can one not fast travel? I have figure out how to set up jumps landing without using fast travel feature) a bit too much. I expected for it to be more like Freelancer - fly to a specific part of the planet and than trigger cutscene. If there is some form of cruise speed, I haven't found it.

I don't know if you can fly into the atmosphere, but you can fly around space and dock with stations and other ships. I think it is just that everything is so far apart, they decided to make it easy to skip around via fast travel instead. I guess I should try to fly around in the atmosphere, but I've mostly been just running around everywhere. I could use a rover in this game too.

• Thanks 2

I watched some gameplay and want a refund for that time. The facial animations are shockingly bad, bad for 10 years ago tier, and it's baffling that it got a pass to release like that. They're probably banking on modders to fix it for them, along with the performance issues and everything else. Everything else looked like what you'd expect from Elder Scrolls with Guns and also in Spayyyce, Bethesdajank that was old over a decade ago with some **** space travel tacked on for you to poke around planet sized BG1 wilderness areas. This game is the Tom Hanks live action pinocchio movie of cRPGs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I love the travel. It's a throwback to Daggerfall. In fact, more so than any Bethesda game since, Starfield is like a spiritual successor to Daggerfall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a funny thing. I was actually not a big fan of Skyrim or Fallout 4. I mean, they were decent open world games, and I got my money's worth, but the story totally fell flat with me. Same with Oblivion and Fallout 3. The gameplay was so-so. The world building was pretty good and that was basically why I played them.

Starfield, on the other hand, is way more up my alley. Tons of gameplay options and a much more palatable story. It's probably my favorite Bethesda game since Daggerfall (or maybe Lost Vikings?) Maybe it's too early to call it, but I'm comfortable with it so far. Between this and JA3, it's been a great couple months of gaming.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Starfield has definitely not received the general praise of BG3, I am seeing most reviews giving it 75% or so 

The general complaint is it offers nothing new compared to ES games and its  basically  " ES in space " which is what people joked about before the release

Im fine with that, I prefer Bethesda sticking to fantasy anyway and for me this means mods, mods and mods will be used when I play this game in about 12 months :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Here's a funny thing. I was actually not a big fan of Skyrim or Fallout 4. I mean, they were decent open world games, and I got my money's worth, but the story totally fell flat with me. Same with Oblivion and Fallout 3. The gameplay was so-so. The world building was pretty good and that was basically why I played them.

Starfield, on the other hand, is way more up my alley. Tons of gameplay options and a much more palatable story. It's probably my favorite Bethesda game since Daggerfall (or maybe Lost Vikings?) Maybe it's too early to call it, but I'm comfortable with it so far. Between this and JA3, it's been a great couple months of gaming.

Ifs good to see a generally overall positive opinion, they not that common :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I feel like per usual in these cases, there was too much hype/expectations with it being a new IP (not Elder Scrolls). Many were probably hoping it would be a larger and sharper gameplay departure vs. mostly  "it's their typical rpg with some refinements."

I think I'll be more interested in the game whenever they release the Creation Kit for it. Other people's mods are good for certain basic ez things but I prefer when I can personally break the gameplay to my personal quirks, not someone else's. :shifty:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Starfield, on the other hand, is way more up my alley.

Starfield setting definitely appeals more to me. Fantasy world need to put in work for me to care, where is semi grouned SF is easier for me to connect. I haven't played enough to make up my mind on the gameplay loot. I just broke free of the rigit tutorial. So far, my only wish would be for it to be more immersive - allow me to feel like I am exploring space, but maybe I will find a way to feel that.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Better than Morrowind? That would be very high praise in my book.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

21 hours ago, majestic said:

There's bound to be a sale coming at some point.

15 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I watched some gameplay and want a refund for that time. The facial animations are shockingly bad, bad for 10 years ago tier, and it's baffling that it got a pass to release like that. They're probably banking on modders to fix it for them, along with the performance issues and everything else. Everything else looked like what you'd expect from Elder Scrolls with Guns and also in Spayyyce, Bethesdajank that was old over a decade ago with some **** space travel tacked on for you to poke around planet sized BG1 wilderness areas. This game is the Tom Hanks live action pinocchio movie of cRPGs.

I'm definitely not paying full price. And with all this mess to fix, I'm not in a hurry to play.

Where are all those people that claimed BG3 was the best game ever and we shouldn't expect other games to be the same? Why not criticize Bethesda for having more people/time/resources and delivering this? Now I understand why one of Starfield's devs was complaining about BG3...

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

I'm definitely not paying full price. And with all this mess to fix, I'm not in a hurry to play.

Where are all those people that claimed BG3 was the best game ever and we shouldn't expect other games to be the same? Why not criticize Bethesda for having more people/time/resources and delivering this? Now I understand why one of Starfield's devs was complaining about BG3...

I wouldn't compare BG3 to Starfield on a lot of stuff, but what they can be compared on (like voice acting or animations) BG3 absolutely beats Starfield. The conversations/facial animations looked like they'd fit in a vanilla New Vegas or Skyrim and some random goblins reacting to Quentin Tarantino's guest writing is more memorable than anything I've seen from Starfield. Mediocre.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

Comparing BG3 and Starfield is dumb. I guess if you are just talking about the character creator, then yeah, BG3 wins hands down. Other than that, the games are totally different. It's like me comparing BG3 to JA3. Yeah, they both have TB combat, and JA3 is way superior in that realm, but after that they totally diverge in gameplay experience. 

If you are just talking about bugs and stability, then I'd rate Starfield the same as BG3. JA3 was way buggier, but it doesn't matter, because it is still the best game to come out in the last 20 years.