In Space No One Can Hear You Scream a Funny Thread Title - The Starfield Thread

Keyrock

I was not comparing the games, that would in fact make no sense. I was talking about people's reaction to the conditions involved in developing them. According to many devs, BG3 is an "anomaly", a game that is incredibly good because of how much money/people/time was available and we shouldn't expect the same result in other games.

But now we have Starfield, developed by more people, for a longer time and with more money, and even so nobody is afraid of the expectations it creates. Clearly, it should have been much better at launch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sign.jpg

33 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I was not comparing the games, that would in fact make no sense. I was talking about people's reaction to the conditions involved in developing them. According to many devs, BG3 is an "anomaly", a game that is incredibly good because of how much money/people/time was available and we shouldn't expect the same result in other games.

I've not played either game yet, I have Starfield installed but I'm waiting until I have enough time to dedicate a solid minimum 3 to 4 hour block (read: the weekend) to fiddle with the character creator and go through the prologue. However, if BG3 really did set a new standard then rather than cry about how they shouldn't be expected to reach such levels maybe these devs should instead step their ****ing game up, no pun intended. They can use whatever excuses they want but what I hear/read is "we're just not good enough".

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Better than Morrowind? That would be very high praise in my book.

I don't know that I can compare them that way. It compares well to Daggerfall because it is a massive world that relies on fast travel and randomization. Morrowind is my favorite of the Oblivion/Skyrim grouping because it is a very unique setting, instead of generic fantasy, but it's still not the same scale as Starfield and Daggerfall. 

• Like 2

I'm in that weird zone with Starfield.  It's worth the money I paid for it, at least in the sense of £1 per gaming hour, it's entertaining in it's level, it's pretty much Fallout / Skyrim with more guns and a bit of starfighter dogfighting, but I'm not impressed by it. It's that "yes, competent game, but nothing innovative, new, or incredibly engaging beyond the usual Bethesda stuff."
Also,  fall down three decks of my ship. Crewman who watches it happen merely comments "Gravity is a bitch. Don't anyone tell you different."

• Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

56 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Also,  fall down three decks of my ship. Crewman who watches it happen merely comments "Gravity is a bitch. Don't anyone tell you different."

i haven't figure out gravity in this game at all. On Mars I realized I could just jump off the top deck of the hub and float down 3 levels instead of taking the elevator. But it does seem a bit wonky. I just unlocked the boostpack skill.

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

But now we have Starfield, developed by more people, for a longer time and with more money, and even so nobody is afraid of the expectations it creates. Clearly, it should have been much better at launch.

Look it'd be one thing if this was a lofi game or something but if you're saying stuff like "the game runs fine, it's your computer that's the problem" and the characters look like a badly animated thing someone made while drunk then you should get roasted over that. Tears of the Kingdom has better looking characters and it's on Nintendo Switch.

But even all that aside, it's an intentionally boring game with janky ass gameplay. **** that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I upgraded my ship with more cargo holds to deal with the pack rat crap but now it's really slow. I was saving up to buy Shieldbreaker ship but noticed that one is slow as well.

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I've been selling almost everything that isn't a resource or currently equipped. I'm bummed about the lack of a rover as well, but hopefully that will be a DLC. I also took too long to realize certain planets are much easier to jump around on. You move pretty quickly that way on low gravity planets. I also haven't upgrade my jetpack yet.

There is something that I find amusingly satisfying that Mom is voiced by Nana Visitor while Dad is voiced by Tim Russ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 2

3 hours ago, Raithe said:

There is something that I find amusingly satisfying that Mom is voiced by Nana Visitor while Dad is voiced by Tim Russ.

Major Kira and Lieutenant Commander Tuvok?

Zg.gif

• Thanks 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I am apparently getting hit by all the sad feels because of Noam on Cydonia.

The robot that broke down and has been unable to move for 17 years, and they consider it too expensive to fix so it was offered the choice of re-programming as a message handler and "assistant" or being scrapped. Then reprogrammed to enjoy that.

• Sad 1

"It just works."  ... even if it isn't intended.

...and yes stuff like this is utterly hilarious and should not be "fixed". I mean, ppl who don't want cheese, don't have to build it. 😛

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I finally stole a ship. I'd encountered a pirate landed ship earlier and cleared out the pirates on the ground, intending to steal it for myself. Stupid thing to do. Of course they left a handful of guys on board so no one could wipeout the guys on the ground and then just take the ship. They flew off when I killed the last pirate on foot. The next time I saw a pirate ship landed I just ran inside and killed everyone and took off. They had contraband so I had to ditch it before I could dock in a settlement. Paid a few thousand for an updated registry and boom! New ship. Still got that new corpse smell.

• Like 4

I decided to just kill everyone on the crimson fleet base thing while working for them.   I just wanted to see what would happen.  There's about 6 people that can't die on that ship.  I'm level 10 and I took out the whole ship.

So 6 of them were hunched over in temporary death.  It didn't give me a quest fail, still had a marker on the one I was supposed to be following.  Decided to leave and come back.  Half expecting them to resume with the quest.  They were all waiting for me, right on the other side of the door.  Death by firing squad.  I think I will count that as the end of my journey.

Ship and base building is a bit more complex than expected. It isn't too hard to do some basic stuff, but after that you need skill points, resources, and probably a decent guide.

I'm enjoying a bunch of the side quests though. I'm also still pretty impressed at how unrandom the random generation seems.

This is at least the fifth time in a row Bethesda released a buggy piece of **** modders need to fix to become halfway stable. They will absolutely not bother fixing it because they know they'll still get sales from people counting on mods to fix it or those who have been conditioned to sadomasochistically enjoy a mediocre at best game that crashes every five minutes. If you're the later, just convince your significant other to step on you or something.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands