What are you Playing Now? - What doesn't kill you, gives you XP

Side subject: lately I've been thinking that one thing I'm really weary of is the "talking head" syndrome in most crpg's. Click on npc and get long minutes of speech while a talking-head stares at you with its animated lip flapping until the text "choices" pops up, until some of us start slamming the skip button if available, causing amusing face animation stops and starts. Yet I have no idea how to "do it better." I still preferred the full text boxes of the top down old rpg's, or in newer cases, when chrs. talk as you're still running in the world, so it doesn't feel like the game has come to a standstill.

There's the idea of it being audio communication, so you can listen while roaming, but while that works for short snippets (ala Borderland/Jack or some FFXV/Tales of Arise party interactions), it works less well for quests, with UI/audio spam (ala Cyberpunk) that may drive you nuts. Plus of course you may miss hearing something.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 hours ago, melkathi said:

Blood moon next?

I played Bloodmoon 15-20 (?!) years ago with a modded distribution of the game (it already included the mods on the disk, which makes me believe that it was not an official version) and not particularly looking forward to trying again. I also dislike snow-covered areas.

I probably will replay the main game or finish the side quests at some point, though.

Edit. Prompted ChatGPT about the main narrative themes of Morrowind. I guess, the Internet contained quite a lot of analytical essays on the topic - the result was reasonably well-written and concise. I find it somehow amusing that an LLM can produce something that would require familiarity with the specific work of art, the surrounding concepts, and history from a human.
A bit generic, but readable:

Spoiler

Title: Navigating Destiny and Free Will in "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind"

Introduction

The exploration of the interplay between destiny and free will is a recurring theme in literature, philosophy, and the arts. In "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind," a landmark open-world role-playing game, this theme takes center stage, inviting players to grapple with profound questions about their agency in a world seemingly bound by prophecy and fate. This essay will critically examine how the game navigates the complex relationship between destiny and free will, challenging conventional storytelling tropes and immersing players in a narrative that blurs the lines between predestination and individual choice.

The Prophecy's Pull

At the heart of "Morrowind" lies the Nerevarine Prophecy, a foretelling of the return of Nerevar, a mythical figure of paramount significance in Dunmer culture. Players assume the role of the prophesied Nerevarine, setting the stage for a narrative exploration of destiny's inexorable pull. The prophecy, however, is shrouded in ambiguity, leaving room for interpretation and skepticism.

The game's narrative artfully balances the tension between destiny and choice. Players are not compelled to embrace their role as the Nerevarine, allowing for divergent paths and moral dilemmas. This dynamic introduces a nuanced portrayal of destiny, challenging the notion of a predetermined course. The game asserts that destiny is not an ironclad decree but a canvas upon which players can paint their own narrative.

Agency Amidst Ambiguity

"Morrowind" empowers players with a remarkable degree of agency, epitomizing the essence of open-world gaming. Character customization, skill development, and faction affiliations provide players with tools to shape their in-game identity. The game encourages exploration, inviting players to chart their own course in the intricate web of quests and alliances.

Through this agency, the game navigates the theme of free will with finesse. Players are not passive observers but active participants in determining their fate. The choices made throughout the game carry consequences, from alliances forged with factions to moral decisions that impact the game world. In this narrative landscape, free will becomes a palpable force, pushing against the constraints of destiny.

Existential Exploration

At its core, "Morrowind" becomes an arena for existential exploration. The game encourages players to confront fundamental questions about identity, purpose, and the nature of choice. Is the Nerevarine bound to fulfill prophecy, or can they transcend the prescribed path? What is the essence of individual agency in a world where destiny looms large?

As players traverse the multifaceted society of Morrowind, they encounter a myriad of characters, each with their own beliefs and interpretations of destiny. This diversity of perspectives underscores the complexity of the theme, challenging players to grapple with the ambiguity of their own role in the unfolding narrative.

Conclusion

"The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind" stands as a testament to the capacity of video games to engage players in profound philosophical and literary explorations. The theme of destiny and free will, central to the game's narrative, serves as a philosophical crucible where players confront the enduring question of whether destiny is an immutable force or a tapestry woven by individual choices. As players navigate the intricate web of prophecy, agency, and existential inquiry, "Morrowind" transcends the confines of traditional storytelling, emerging as a groundbreaking work of interactive literature that compels players to embark on a journey of self-discovery within a world where destiny is both a path to follow and a narrative to shape.

Will reread the available materials and try to write something more specific.

Edited by Hawke64

I started over the weekend after 7 years second playthrough of Star Ocean 5. I was kind of disappointed of the combat gameplay at the start, but after a while, I have found out, that it was more due to me sucking at it, than it sucking by design 😛 and now, after I am used to it a little bit more, I am starting to enjoy it. The only issue for me is that after 5 hours of gameplay, I still suck at defense, so I need a lot of consumables and money 😛 At least using items counts toward battle trophies.

I am already at Chapter 3 on my way to the capital of Central Resulia.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

NMS -

---the ground vehicle you get for free w/the Base Computer readouts/missions came with 40 storage slots, and you can call it to your location like the ships.
---I was wrong, I got to keep the starter spaceship. It just gets stowed and you can call it back/switch if you want.
---I found the "easy" way to search for lush "Paradise" planets, which sound nice for building a true "main base" vs. the cruddy starter planet I was on, or temp bases just for teleportation/markers. I found one first try, but it's very red-themed, even the grass. I don't like red. I'll keep looking.
---the animals wandering, fighting, killing each other right next to base structures drives me nuts. I built a wall-fence around everything, maybe that'll work.
---the cooking/food stuff, holy cow it's way too much. Seems to be mostly to make money? But way too many resources/farming/animal farming/recipes, not worth it for bulk vs. just mining 9999 stacks to sell. Just for sim-ing? Settlements? I know nothing about Settlements/hirelines and not sure I'll bother.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I''m about 30 hours into Fallout 2  and as predicted its been a very entertaining CRPG experience. I like all the changes compared to FO1 and they improve on some of the original mechanics like how you interact with your companions

I have completed loads of quests and activities in the starting towns that include the Den and Redding. I love how they have expanded on the themes in the dialogue so you come across hilarious options where you accuse people of bigotry like how Sulik was being treated and the general low opinion some people have of you " being a tribal person"  :grin:

I am particularly enjoying the lack of resources and money on early levels but I got lucky, I joined a Caravan to Vault City and despite some really tough random encounters I was able to survive and I looted from the dead enemies loads of new weapons and ammunition which I plan to sell and use now that I have reached Vault City

And combat seems harder, or at least much harder enemies like the Wanamingo. I still cant kill them yet, I was trying on level 4-5,  but now I have better weapons I will go back to the mines in Redding

But I like the harder combat and the way the game has no level scaling. Its always appreciated and adds to the overall risk vs reward 

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So everyone is in retro mood?

I am playing Kingdom of Amalur...

I want to try the new expansion content, but the overall game experience isn't as great this time around. Especially the way my inventory has filled up so quickly.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

37 minutes ago, melkathi said:

I want to try the new expansion content, but the overall game experience isn't as great this time around. Especially the way my inventory has filled up so quickly.

I played Amalur and completed it after about 250 hours, But it was uninspirational and it was  the easiest and most boring combat I have ever experienced. All I ended up doing was rolling and hitting. I also dont remember anything about the narrative which is never a good sign

But the world was aesthetically pleasing and I clearly had some fun because I spent 250 hours on it :grin:

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

There is quite a lot of combat, which, despite being very comfortable and good-looking, might get repetitive quickly. Still, it was a fun game with some interesting mechanics and story developments (which I don't remember). I think, the main storyline was mostly linear with 1 branch at the end of each chain of side quests? The reincarnating fey (?) were quite original, though.

I also haven't played the newer expansion myself yet - it was released after I replayed and uninstalled the remake (40GB+, I think?), so might try some time later.

---

Unavowed. A point and click adventure in the urban fantasy setting. So far so good, if slightly too easy. But at least I understand the logic of the puzzles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, melkathi said:

would be more fun if each area are aoto scaling to player

dlc are pretty good

Should be in every game.

Regardless of genre.

Baldur's Gate? Kill Sarevok, the bikini elf rushes in Stab Stab Stab.

XCOM? Kill the aliens, the bikini elf comes in and stab.

Civilization? Build a spaceship, bikini elves spawn next to the city.

The Sims? Sims hang out in the jacuzzi. Bikini elf throws a hair dryer in.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Hey good folks, I don't want to create a separate thread for this question, but hopefully it also won't be considered too off-topic.

I'm in the process of buying my new gaming desktop computer. As my last two machines were Dell, I think I will just stick with Dell again, as I actually had a really good experience with Dell Support in fixing something with my current machine a few years ago which they did at no cost to me even though my warranty had expired.

The machine I'm looking at has the Nvidia 4090 GPU. Question 1: should I wait for the 4090 Ti?

Question 2: My current customization of the machine is for 32 GB of RAM. Going to 64 GB would add $500 to the already-hefty tag of around $4100. Worth it?

I would welcome any and all thoughts and feedback. Thanks! :)

• Gasp! 1

3 hours ago, kanisatha said:

The machine I'm looking at has the Nvidia 4090 GPU. Question 1: should I wait for the 4090 Ti?

For the probable price/performance gain, I would say no. If I was going to wait for anything, it'd be longer term and the 50xx at this point.

3 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Question 2: My current customization of the machine is for 32 GB of RAM. Going to 64 GB would add $500 to the already-hefty tag of around $4100. Worth it?

If the only concern is gaming, generally I would say ... no.  Except, perhaps, if you're one of those who likes to run a game with 500 mods and mega texture packs. Or, er, maybe if you like having 400 browser tabs open. Or if you constantly do specific non-game software/tasks that are extremely RAM heavy.  But for general desktop/office/gaming concerns - nah, there's no need. Ram's also easy to add to or swap later. Well, typically, not familiar with Dell.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

Complete overkill, unless you want to max out Flight simulator.

Or are interested in demanding titles at 1440/4k High/Ultra/RT. And would prefer as much as possible not to have to use DLSS just to get 60-ish fps 😛  CPU in a new build is currently, imo, just as important as GPU. Don't cheap out there.

I knew when I went big-screen-4k that I'd have to leap more often and higher to keep up, even when I'm not an Ultra (edit) or RT type of person. DLSS has improved a lot since the start but I still don't like to use it.

But yeah, if one is using 1080p and won't care about next-gen demanding/snazzy titles/features, 4090 is still overkill.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

For the probable price/performance gain, I would say no. If I was going to wait for anything, it'd be longer term and the 50xx at this point.

If the only concern is gaming, generally I would say ... no.  Except, perhaps, if you're one of those who likes to run a game with 500 mods and mega texture packs. Or, er, maybe if you like having 400 browser tabs open. Or if you constantly do specific non-game software/tasks that are extremely RAM heavy.  But for general desktop/office/gaming concerns - nah, there's no need. Ram's also easy to add to or swap later. Well, typically, not familiar with Dell.

The problem is I don't think I can wait too much longer, as my current machine is now crashing a lot. But good advice on the Ti. Thanks!

On RAM, I use my desktop only for gaming and for emailing and web browsing (though never many tabs open or anything like that; pretty basic stuff).

11 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Or are interested in demanding titles at 1440/4k High/Ultra/RT. And would prefer as much as possible not to have to use DLSS just to get 60-ish fps 😛
CPU in a new build is currently, imo, just as important as GPU. Don't cheap out there.

I knew when I went big-screen-4k that I'd have to leap more often and higher to keep up, even when I'm not an Ultra type of person. DLSS has improved a lot since the start but I still don't like to use it.

Yes it can certainly come across as overkill. But the reason I always go for as much as I can get when I buy a new machine is that I then keep that machine for a very long time. My current machine is 8+ years old, and that's roughly been my average. So my pattern is to go big and then sit on that machine for longer than most people would before the next refresh, because I'm very pro-status quo/don't like change until change is absolutely necessary, and I also hate the whole process of migrating my stuff from the old to the new. :)

Heck, even my car is now 16+ years old and definitely needs a refresh. But at current new car prices ... sheesh!!

Edit: CPU is the i9

Edited by kanisatha
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Hey good folks, I don't want to create a separate thread for this question, but hopefully it also won't be considered too off-topic.

I'm in the process of buying my new gaming desktop computer. As my last two machines were Dell, I think I will just stick with Dell again, as I actually had a really good experience with Dell Support in fixing something with my current machine a few years ago which they did at no cost to me even though my warranty had expired.

I would welcome any and all thoughts and feedback. Thanks! :)

No, and no. You can always add RAM later, that is fairly easy to do, and there probably won't be a 4090 Ti anyway as AMD is giving nVidia no reason to release one.

DIY might save you a pretty penny though.

Edited by majestic
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

5 minutes ago, majestic said:

DYI might save you a pretty penny though.

I thought about this, and although I'm above average on being tech-savvy I don't think I know enough (on both the hardware and software sides) to do a trustworthy job. And with a DIY I would also need to know how to fix/maintain the machine later on for years.

Oh, I should also ammend the cost estimate. Dell currently has an additional discount of $850, so it would actually cost me $3250. Plus free shipping. And since my understanding from Googling is that the 4090 alone is currently retailing at around two grand, that price seems okay for: i9 CPU, 2 TB SDD storage, 32 GB SDD RAM.

Edited by kanisatha

^ I've had 32 ram for over 4 years now and the only thing that would go near to filling it all up briefly was 7 Days to Die's map generator when it was not optimized yet (eg it's better/not like that now). So again, only certain types of people/tasks would warrant more, imo, even today.

And I totally understand the longevity aspect. I try to build like that too. So for a year maybe I have an uber rig but then I spend a lot of years turning stuff down, and down, because what I cared about were certain longevity aspects more than having/maintaining uber.

• Thanks 1

More NMS blatherings:

Went to a space station. Checked the npc pilots ships. One had one with 39 storage slots! But they wanted 33million for it. Since I am a mining/selling fool, I did have it. Barely, I am totally broke now. But then I scavenged the Ugly Boat for 4million and doing so for some reason gave me a ship-inventory-slot mod. So now the new ship has 40. And it's not quite as fugly so I named it "Average Betty." Too bad I can't repaint it.

I think the groove for me in NMS is going to be farming billions over and over to collect 12 - I think that's max? - spaceships/upgrading them to the max (I don't care about the freighters). That and finding the perfect Paradise planet with a good supporting 3-4 other planets around it. And maybe eventually, taming a flying pet I can ride. I've seen screenshots. I want one.

Oh, after the first "space fight" with some folks, I turned that stuff off. I can barely fly the damn ship without constantly doing accidental loop-de-loops - aiming/fighting in space is basically "no." At this point it's pure sandbox for me.

Edit: you can rename your Mining Tool, too. So I did. It is ... MIner69er.   *listens to the groans* ...

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, melkathi said:

Should be in every game.

Regardless of genre.

Baldur's Gate? Kill Sarevok, the bikini elf rushes in Stab Stab Stab.

XCOM? Kill the aliens, the bikini elf comes in and stab.

Civilization? Build a spaceship, bikini elves spawn next to the city.

The Sims? Sims hang out in the jacuzzi. Bikini elf throws a hair dryer in.

Make it a bikini orc and I'm in.

• Like 1