What are you Playing Now? - What doesn't kill you, gives you XP

After some longer break from the game due to my busy work schedule, I have finally acquired Platinum Trophy in Tales of Arise on my PS4 today. This game has one of the most balanced roads to Platinum Trophy, I have ever achieved. I had no need for any kind of excessive grinding. Just now and there going back to some easy to get material for weapon crafting or few minutes of fishing. Even the post game was one straightforward way to level 100 while clearing all new content. Both post game quests have been fun and challenging, and I had not feel burned out from for a single minute during whole 111 hours of gameplay. That's what I call quality game design!

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Elden Ring. Reached the late-game dragon area. Ironically, the only boss who didn't have long delayed and extendable combo chains, abilities to cross the arena in an instant or attacks faster than I could see them coming, was the Fire Giant. Granted, he also had an enormous health bar and the attacks were hitting hard if they landed, so even my upgraded tower shield could only take one. Also, visually, the boss strongly reminded of Daimon from Dragon's Dogma.
Defeated Alecto the Ringleader. Took quite some time, as Alecto could cross the arena quickly and one-hit the PC at any point with little time to react (the AoE blood jump attack and the grab) and could extend the normal combo seemingly indefinitely unless interrupted, which could result in trading hits which is not a good idea with any boss. Fortunately, I was able to corner her between the mist wall and a rock and her health ran out before my stamina did.
Edit. Also defeated a Godskin Noble (?) mini-boss. The boss jumped off the bridge where the battle was taking place, which was rather amusing and certainly preferable to fighting it head-on.

Edited by Hawke64
  • Like 2

After I thought I have lost a video of my Druidstone gameplay during my PC upgrade, after almost two years I have finally found it 😛 It is a guide and walkthrough of Speedrunner achievement on Hard Difficulty. This is the only video of this achievement on Hard on YT, so it might be possible, that no one else so far, has bothered to get it this way 😛 The preparation of tactics for this took me more than two hours and then another half hour to have a luck with RNG on book spawn to be able to perform it correctly 😛

• Like 5

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I finished Gothic 2 after about 100 hours and as I mentioned in a previous post its a highly recommended, classic PB design game which includes all the things we love about PB games which are

• no level scaling and no map hand holding
  • an open world and multiple ways to advance skills and lots of side quests

I played as a Paladin and I also used scrolls in certain combat strategies. I adopted a good approach to defeat the dragons which included a Summon Demon spell and then I attacked while the dragons were distracted

G2 gets a well deserved 70/100 on the globally respected " BruceVC game rating system "

Now the next exciting question, what next to play? I have several options which I will post later

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Which late-game dragon are we talking about? The two headed one?

The Crumbling Farum Azula. Though, I have not encountered the two-headed dragon and the one-headed ones kept disappearing after I tried to shoot them. Met the Godskin Duo, had to rethink my strategy and gather some flowers at river banks. When I entered the arena via the balcony I thought that the dragon's head would be the boss.
Not sure what the area was in terms of lore or how I got there. I assume that the certain door could not be accessed as the barrier could not die on its own, while the area's boss held the rune, hence why I had to defeat him.
On another note, the pacing has become much jollier - not counting the ash-upgrading diversion, the progress has been reasonably straightforward, though the balance is still odd - the Duo was rather challenging, Malekith was fine (but would have been more unpleasant without the AI companion), the following boss fell within seconds (something-something All-Knowing).

There is one more dragon in the Forum, but I would miss it myself if not for the wiki. Guidance on finding him in spoilers, if you are curious:

From the Beside the Great Bridge Site of Grace, turn around and take the elevator back down into the church. Go past the Beastmen and exit the church. Head straight ahead out of the church, towards the cluster of trees, and look over the edge for a platform to fall down to. Follow the path down to the end, and look for a cubby on the stone floor that doesn't have bones in it. Approach and look for the Lie down prompt. This will teleport you to Placidusax's arena

Edited by Wormerine
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Baldur’s Gate3? It’s out on Thursday and available for 2nd round of beta testing 😛 

Yes, BG3 is my most anticipated game of all time 

But Wormie remember my policy, I always wait 3-6 months to play new games so that the official patches are released and relevant mods are created 

Thats how I avoid a Cyb2077 disappointment and anger 8)

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

22 hours ago, Wormerine said:

There is one more dragon in the Forum, but I would miss it myself if not for the wiki. Guidance on finding him in spoilers, if you are curious:

Reveal hidden contents

From the Beside the Great Bridge Site of Grace, turn around and take the elevator back down into the church. Go past the Beastmen and exit the church. Head straight ahead out of the church, towards the cluster of trees, and look over the edge for a platform to fall down to. Follow the path down to the end, and look for a cubby on the stone floor that doesn't have bones in it. Approach and look for the Lie down prompt. This will teleport you to Placidusax's arena

Spoiler

Found the path on the second attempt - on the first dropped onto a wrong ledge, the lower one. Not sure how it could have been found naturally - the ledges are hard to see and there are quite a few deadly drops before that looked possible to reach.

Defeated the Dragonlord and at the same time the boss killed me. Fortunately, I was able to teleport to the newly-discovered site of Grace and collect the runes.

Reached the secret snowy area. The invisible assassins were unpleasant and I doubt that I would have purchased the item that makes them visible even if I had found the merchant. I managed to sneak around and light the bonfires to open the portal while having to fight only one of them and running away from another.
The Walking Mausoleum launching magic missiles from afar in the same area looked very impressive.

The canyons east of Santo Ilesso in Saints Row look like somewhere hurlshot would go on family vacation. 

So I never steal RVs in the game, just in case it is his.

Anyone else play Saints Row and encounter this issue?

• Haha 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

1 hour ago, Hawke64 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Found the path on the second attempt - on the first dropped onto a wrong ledge, the lower one. Not sure how it could have been found naturally - the ledges are hard to see and there are quite a few deadly drops before that looked possible to reach.

Defeated the Dragonlord and at the same time the boss killed me. Fortunately, I was able to teleport to the newly-discovered site of Grace and collect the runes.

Reached the secret snowy area. The invisible assassins were unpleasant and I doubt that I would have purchased the item that makes them visible even if I had found the merchant. I managed to sneak around and light the bonfires to open the portal while having to fight only one of them and running away from another.

Uhh, completely forgot about this bit. This and Haligtree gave me strong “DS2 cruelty” vibes.

Finally completed my first (Angel) run through Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous yesterday. Successfully completed the full secret ending. All in all a fun, great experience with the game. I more than got my money's worth, including money spent on the two DLC season passes. Looking forward to Azata, Aeon, and Legend runs in the future.

Trying to decide what I should play next. Maybe go back to Solasta to the play the last DLC. I'm surely going to be buying Starfield, but I won't be able to actually play the game anytime soon.

Like @BruceVC, I also have the rule of not playing a new game, especially a big new game, for several months until major patching is done (and possibly even the release of some DLCs). But in Starfield's case there's also the issue of needing to buy a new gaming computer because my current machine is 8 years old and won't handle it. I want to be able to spend a good amount of money on a really good new machine maxed out on processor, memory, graphics, and SSD. So I want to take my time and shop for a good deal/sale prices. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gorgon said:

i'm debating jumping in with baldurs gate 3.  the full release is today, but.. i've been burned before. 

I thought its on 3rd? ...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Gorgon said:

i'm debating jumping in with baldurs gate 3.  the full release is today, but.. i've been burned before. 

Yeah, I have been thinking about it too. It should be an easy choice, since I enjoyed Divine Divinity and the Original Sin games well enough. But I am hesitant to drop full monies on a game nowadays, and since I am still on a bit of a high from Jagged Alliance 3 being amazing, I figure it will be easy to regret my purchase. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

I thought its on 3rd? ...

It is. Unless Gorgon assumes the 3 day early access is still a thing - it is not. It's been scrapped for PC once the game's release has been moved a month earlier.

https://twitter.com/baldursgate3/status/1684597242496253952?s=20

As I don't want to start anything new before BG3 come out I have been finishing some leftovers:

Weird West - oddly enough the final character had some decent sidequests. I wish there was more of those in the game. I liked it alright, but I thought content was a bit too repetitive. And the game wasn't balanced enough to encourage using the sandbox.

Return to Monkey Island - I really liked it. I don't know why people were upset about the ending. It is very Monkey Island - like. MI2 went very meta as well.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

Not playing, more like ... should I buy? Should I not buy? I hear "story"/campaign isn't long at all/is super short, but it does have the D3/PoE sort of endgame grinding.  Mostly, it sounds like the simpler play I'd like vs. modern arpg's.  Edit: and the short campaign may be great for replaying/new chrs.  Hm. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

12 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I played BG3 EA just last week, and unless they massively change things about the early game, there's a good bunch of it that's pretty bug free.

Thats is such great feedback, keep us updated about your non-spoiler views 

I am not joking when I say BG3 could be a candidate for  "best  RPG of the decade " :dancing:

John Milton