Youtube recommendations, let's beat the algorithm

Sarex

42 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Lock Picking Lawyer - site that discusses vulnerabilities of various locks.

Is there something you're not telling us? 🤔

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

0 subscriptions... evar. 

we do current check out atk regular. has been at least a year since jacques pépin posted anything at his site or pbs/kqed, so am not checking him with any frequency. (edit: literal checked jacques pépin moments ago and noticed a new video at kqed... six days past and first new in over a year. gonna note how from mr. pépin we learned a couple decades past to cut along the bone o' chicken thighs to get more even cooking... is something he does in the linked vid. so obvious in retrospect but for years we never thought to do so. however, we will observe how particular for a guy in his 80s he should be more careful handling raw chicken.) 

other than cooking, most o' the stuff we follow is kinda technical legal or science.

is a few history channels we do peek at and a couple is even entertaining.

the atun-shei is kinda a hoot, so maybe once a month we look.

even so, 0 subscriptions and am feeling no handicap in finding info.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Is there something you're not telling us? 🤔

I've always thought locks were fascinating. :)

Also, have a bunch of lockers with padlocks at work, so always curious about what they say about padlocks when its time to buy more.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

i just clicked on one video, i swear I will have to live with it for next week or so.. not that I mind it...

image.thumb.jpeg.8fbcae3a02dfd2f8535833b627202535.jpeg

• Haha 4
  • Hmmm 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

On 4/2/2023 at 7:26 AM, Sarex said:

You can check easily by seeing if it ends up in your watch history on the yt account. I'm pretty sure it does.

I'm not logged in to YT when I watch videos - so on PC there is no watch history. :) I think the phone/tablet might still keep track of that stuff even if not logged in, not sure. I don't typically watch embeds from those, but I might check one day.

I haven't logged into YT since they seemed to want to lock me out/force me to add a phone number to login (removed my account avatar etc) - I still haven't bothered to see if there was a way around that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The algorithm thinks I like JDM cars, JDM hand tools, OSR TTRPGs, pro hoops, noodles, pasta, and Initial D.  Checking my open tabs seem to indicate that this is correct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

For a little laugh Space Ice is decent, you can observe the joke that is Steven Seagal but without spending any money

On 4/3/2023 at 7:57 PM, Chilloutman said:

i just clicked on one video, i swear I will have to live with it for next week or so.. not that I mind it...

I looked at a SF6 video, now it's just endless videos on Cammy's jiggle physics :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

22 hours ago, Leferd said:

The algorithm thinks I like JDM cars, JDM hand tools, OSR TTRPGs, pro hoops, noodles, pasta, and Initial D.  Checking my open tabs seem to indicate that this is correct.

have never bothered to check out youtube save as the result o' a search... what we mean is, am never having intentional gone to https://www.youtube.com/.

the algorithm says we is interested in pbs, legal stuff, quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, cooking, pc strategy games, msnbc, chopin, noam chomsky, led zepplin, cinematography and

is also a video entitled, jesper goes down on dima the stableman which am so not interested in viewing... though am admitting if it were pbs we might reflexive click. 

edit: am admitted kinda baffled by so much msnbc (we view msnbc vids even less frequent than fox.) and has been literal at least a couple years since our most recent noam chomsky search.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I will freely admit that along with the Twitters and Discord, YouTube is by far where I spend most of my online presence these days. Doesn't help that I am also subscribed to YouTube TV.

I suppose my leisurely pursuits haven't changed too much over the years. Hoops, cars, and RPGs (though more analog than digital these days).

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I usually hate travel channels but this guy is alright, most interesting is him traveling through ex-Soviet states as a Russian speaking Brit

He was actually in a tiny Ukrainian village on the border with Russia days before the invasion, eerie to watch in retrospect

Edited by HoonDing
  • Like 2

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

On 4/1/2023 at 12:46 AM, Sarex said:

@majestic I heard about the guy, but never really dared to watch his videos. Forgot where I heard about him though, probably from some streamer.

I would recommend watching his videos, as they are entertaining and informative, and they offer a different point of view than most critique or review channels, as prior to making his channel and starting streaming, he was primarily an author who published a few fantasy and science fiction novels. Unlike many other streamers and review channels, he is also quite skilled, as evidenced by his plowing through Celeste. There is a copy of his Celeste stream on his secondary channel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to watch Company Man a lot, which analyzes larger well known stores/franchises rises and then maybe falls (in not too long videos). But as time went on I was less familiar with companies he focused on, thus was less interested. I still check up on his channel now and again tho. I liked the nostalgia and his style mostly, I guess.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 4 weeks later...

Thirty years ago, this Dutch series was a big thing for me and quite a few people I have since come to know. All the episodes are extremely interesting, although it has to be said that Rupert Sheldrake's credibility is somewhat... less than that of the others. Anyway, heartily recommended. I don't know whether this is the kind of stuff that everyone here is already familiar with.

The series was a good example of how pleasant it is to listen to someone who knows what he's talking about.

As a fan and player of Horus Heresy, you sometimes stumble over gaming groups that seems live in obscurity on the internet, despite making top notch work. Recently found a Malaysian group producing Youtube videos about different aspects of the hobby. Despite being around for some years and making quality videos, they still only have like 500+ subscribers. Makes you scratch your head 😕

But I found myself watching a number of their videos, including their backlog recently and really enjoying it (disclaimer: mostly for Horus Heresy enthusiasts I think)

https://www.youtube.com/@fareastwargaming

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

46 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Despite being around for some years and making quality videos, they still only have like 500+ subscribers. Makes you scratch your head 😕

Inertia and critical mass. It's both baffling and extremely unfair, but I don't think there's anything you can do, other than what you just did.

Once something becomes popular enough, its popularity alone will make it even more popular -- and this was true before the internet, by the way: you can bet that an awful lot of the sales of Dark Side of the Moon were because it had already sold so much. Conversely, people don't want to go near stuff that isn't popular.[*]

[*] An extremely sad point concerning this last bit. There was an experiment intended for people who suffered from great loneliness. Hours were set up at various cafes so that they could meet and socialize. But the experiment had to be discontinuted quite quickly: people didn't turn up. Even lonely people don't want to be with (other) lonely people.

• Like 1

A Polish girl doing some very impressive (imnsho) "doll modifications". A bit of an understatement, as sometimes all that is left of the original is parts of the head. Dozens of videos of some very impressive conversions. I'm particularly impressed by the quality of her face painting (as a model painter, I always struggled with faces). I visited her website and sadly it states that she doesn't sell them and she doesn't do commissions (or I would have been tempted to splurge). For her own fun only apparently...

https://www.youtube.com/@CatmeleonStudio

Most her work shows too much skin to post examples here, even if it's all plastic and epoxy 😝

Randy Feltface, the character created by an Aussie comedian. He has his own channel

https://www.youtube.com/@randyfeltface

This example is on the long side, but incredibly funny once you get to meet Morgan (about 3.5 minutes in). Gumtree is an online market place.

• 3 weeks later...

I already suggested his other channel here, Event Horizon, but this is also a good one, for Sci-Fi and scientific stuff.

This particular video was interesting because he brought some information was not aware of. The North Sentinelese language is not similar to their neighbors, so they must have split a long time ago. I saw that the island is about 60 square km and he says there are an estimated 200 people there. They probably can't sustain a bigger population, but the inbreeding must be really bad.

As for the Zoo hyphothesis, it is not really the case since, as he says in the video, there are frequent helicopters flying there and the wreckage of a ship on a beach. They are perfectly aware of other civilizations.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

Clint continues to be funny:

"The Eastern Green Mamba has the mildest venom of any mamba. Which is a bit like being called 'the least dangerous hand grenade'."

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.