Ukraine Conflict - "An empire founded by war has to maintain itself by war"

Lexx

23 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Maybe its the US because they want Sweden to become a right-wing, neo-Nazi state !!! You just never know :aiee:

We don't need the US help, a good part of the population here are doing their damndest to make that a reality on their own.

• Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

48 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

I don't know how old you are and whether I should have expected you to recognize it, but my reference was to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_City_(song)

That is interesting, first time I have heard of it. Im sure it was banned in Apartheid SA?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Oh yes, it was.

Anyway, I think Sun City is a brilliant example of how art done "in the name of good" can often be embarrassing. Boycotting Sun City during apartheid was a good idea, and raising awareness of the situation in South Africa was also a good idea, but the song just sucks. As a pop song it's not the worst, but the preachy lyrics make it hard to listen to, no matter how pertinent the message.

Banksy's new works, on the other hand, look fine to me.

And in other news: that Wagner guy Prigozhin shows what a wonderful philantropist he is. This is full-blown ISIS stuff, which is not surprising: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sledgehammer-execution-russian-mercenary-who-defected-ukraine-shown-video-2022-11-13/

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

And in other news: that Wagner guy Prigozhin shows what a wonderful philantropist he is. This is full-blown ISIS stuff, which is not surprising: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sledgehammer-execution-russian-mercenary-who-defected-ukraine-shown-video-2022-11-13/

If it were just that. Wagner thugs are wreaking havoc in Mali right now and nobody cares. IMO they should be branded a terrorist organization.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, Russians still have cruise missiles, hit Kharkiv, Lviv and Kiev with them.   Surprised they'd reached Lviv even if they get intercepted there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Stop the press: the ISIS style execution was carried out by American intelligence services.

Also, Kaja Kallas, from Estonia, is very direct in her speech. The stance of the Baltic countries has been very commendable throughout this conflict, as has been the direct support they've given to Ukraine. The Baltic countries know better than most: life under Russia is hell. (Btw, I've sometimes thought that Serbian support for Russia relies, at least in part, on the fact that the countries are not neighbours. If they were, Serbians would have had a much harder time of it. Let us not forget that Stalin was not fond of Tito at all, but since Tito was too far away, geographically speaking, Stalin couldn't really crush him, or at least it would have been too expensive for him.)

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Gasp! 2

7 minutes ago, bugarup said:

I'm reading they're firing Calibers, X-101 and X-555s that are supposed to be high precision missiles? Interesting how their high precision missiles still hit apartment blocks and civilian infrastructure just like their low precision missiles...

Well, the civilian infrastructure seems to be the target for some here, they're working over the grid again.  Never will know how or why each missile hit where it hit - could be intercepted, aimed or just plain old inaccuracy, granted matters little how exactly one dies.

This seems like a missile being intercepted, given the warheads the things carry.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, that's not damage from the 400kg of explosives a Kh or Kalibr carries. That's tens of kg at most so if it was Russian and targeted it would have to be a 'suicide drone'. Otherwise debris from an interception, or the interceptor itself. Which happens pretty regularly, even with faultless wunderwaffe (obv not actually a patriot here).

Edited by Zoraptor

Forum really screwed up my post..

Edited by Malcador

I wouldn't rush to conclusion on that one.
Chance that a missile missed it target by hundreds of kilometers but somehow managed to hit people is miniscule.

And if this was a deliberate message then Polish villagers are a poor medium to deliver it. 

Edited by pmp10

Russia know well why they didn't target anything near border - seems like they missed the memo this time. I bet Putin is sweating now

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 minute ago, xzar_monty said:

Article 5 stuff, potentially.

Not worth it, really.

18 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

Russia know well why they didn't target anything near border - seems like they missed the memo this time. I bet Putin is sweating now

I bet he isn't capable of sweating over something like this. I bet there is a lot of concern in his "inner circle", though, whatever that inner circle might mean.

doubt article 5 but maybe no fly zone over west ukraine can me on the table

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Not worth it, sure, but could be deliberate anyway. Fleeing from Kherson with their tails between the legs, "G19", scrotum voodoo doll's no-show there and sad horse's hospital time, things like that all chip away at their moronic "RUSSIA STRONK!!!" narrative they seem incapable of even adjusting, let alone letting go. Bombing Ukrainian cities cannot cut it anymore because it is already routine for them, why not ruffle NATO's feathers by letting missiles "accidentally" graze its corner. Because "So what? Whatchagonna do, gayropeans, huh? Huh????"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Going to be a long time before we find out anything, I guess. If we ever do, remember the drone that reached Croatia ?

Poland or NATO needs to do something, because Russia already blown up ammo warehouses in Czech Republic and IIRC Bulgaria some time ago. Which is third attack against NATO country in 5-10 years… Else the khuylo will start to escalate it. Let’s hope it will be rational response, which will help Ukraine and does not start WW3…

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Guess that was the target.  That website with the power grid is pretty nifty, too

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Going to be a long time before we find out anything, I guess. If we ever do, remember the drone that reached Croatia ?

Most amazing thing about that drone was that something that old still worked. Well, kind of, since whoever used it it wasn't meant to go to Croatia.

1 hour ago, pmp10 said:

I wouldn't rush to conclusion on that one.
Chance that a missile missed it target by hundreds of kilometers but somehow managed to hit people is miniscule.

And if this was a deliberate message then Polish villagers are a poor medium to deliver it. 

The chances are certainly miniscule of hitting anything accidentally, but they wouldn't have to be hundreds of km off course. Lviv is ~50km away and it was definitely targeted, so it would only have to be 10s ok km off target.

The crater in Przewodów definitely isn't from a cruise missile though, way, way too small. For comparison, a tomahawk crater (also with ~450kg warhead) looks like this which isn't even close size wise, conservatively a tenth the explosive force. Which puts it potentially into suicide drone territory, but the wreckage certainly doesn't match that. Still could be Russian as they have several air launched missiles in the appropriate warhead range, but they also have to be fired from pretty close (10s of km; main issue is that I haven't heard anything about Russian warplanes near Lviv ever. It's always been cruise missiles hitting that deep in Ukraine).

OTOH a S-300 crater looks like this (note: using a Ukrainian source) which... matches just about perfectly. Theoretically a Russian S-3/400 (especially) firing from Belarus could fly that far, but it would far more likely be Ukrainian AD if so.

Russian planes did already shoot their missile at Ukrainian targets from Belarus airspace though.

14 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Also, Macron tweets "with" or "alongside" Xi, thus:

Interesting.

The photos of Lavrov in Bali (?) are also delightful: the guy's wearing a Basquiat T-shirt, and he's got a Western mobile phone and a Western wristwatch. Such a staunch opponent of the "decadent West" he is, indeed. No hypocrisy there at all.

Couldn’t resist 🙈

• Haha 1