Ukraine Conflict - "An empire founded by war has to maintain itself by war"

Lexx

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

It's so weird how having even an ounce of empathy for your enemy while still wanting them to be defeated can get you lumped right in with them to at least a couple of posters in here.

It sounds serious Barti, cant you write a script?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3549443-ukrainian-forces-struck-bridge-over-dam-in-nova-kakhovka.html  ? Their source is Ukrainian Operation Command South.

Your source is using old satellite imagery, you can tell because of the lack of secondary crossings per below. Indeed, there's a notable lack of up to date imagery showing the dam bridge itself.

The small water outlet is the lock (well, presumably. Used for getting ships past the dam; shut the gates and pump water in/ out to change the level to that up/ down stream). There are two issues with hitting that. Firstly it's very narrow, certainly in comparison to the Dniepr proper. Indeed, more up to date imagery shows the Russians had bridged it at least twice. Secondly there's no river current and no up/ down stream traffic. As a permanent solution the Russians simply filled it in to make a crossing (apparently sometime in September?), so it isn't a bridge any more. Only way to get rid of that is something far more explosive than HiMARS rockets, or to hit the lock gates to generate a, uh, current (which would be functionally identical to hitting the dam proper).

Are you aware, that the Bridge over the Kakhovka Dam is in one of the red rectangles? And my image is from November the 3rd, where it was hit again, and there was a big fire exactly in the red rectangles…

If they wanted to hit the Dam they would hit another bridge, the curved one which is on the picture on the left border, under left down corner of the green rectangle, which is considered the weakest link of that road, but “surprise, surprise”, they did not hit that segment once since start of the war. Exactly for the same reason, because it is the weakest link… 

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11390737/Xi-Jinping-warns-Putin-not-use-nukes-rare-rebuke-Ukraine-war.html

China has rebuked Putin with his comments  of using nukes, to quote 

"President Xi and I agree: nuclear threats are irresponsible and incendiary,' Scholz said after the meeting. 'By using nuclear weapons, Russia would be crossing a line that the community of states has drawn together "

Guess Putins threats  have become less concerning?

• Thanks 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

It's so weird how having even an ounce of empathy for your enemy while still wanting them to be defeated can get you lumped right in with them to at least a couple of posters in here.

Propaganda is a wonderous thing ;)

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm feeling bad for every soldier that gets taken out by a drone grenade. Even worse are the ones who get multiple dropped on them before they die. I think it's terrible to watch, and we're all getting desensitized from seeing this. Also, every time I see people making fun of the targets I'm cringing hard. Doesn't matter if they are russian or ukraine soldiers, it's just not a good look.

I really don't want people to die like this ... but on the other hand, russia could just f-off and finally leave, and all of this would end.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Interesting reading on the air war. Well or as it seems both sides trying to avoid getting blown out of the sky by the SAMs -https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/special-resources/russian-air-war-and-ukrainian-requirements-air-defence

They do mention Gripens being a good option for donation.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

23 hours ago, Lexx said:

Oh right. And there are no idiot Democrats like this. Sure.

And you want to quote MSNBC and the Rachel Maddow Show? LOL. That's Democrat propaganda central.

I've already acknowledged there are idiot R's. And for every one of them there's an idiot D out there too.

• Like 2

^Its crazy to me that they just scoop people off the streets, hand them an AK-47 and a set of fatigues, and dump them on the front line. I mean jeez, at least send them through some form of a truncated basic training. Conscripts will never be a match for a professional army (unless you have a Billion to bumrush with) but this is just a meatgrinder.

• Like 1

well thats definition of cannon fodder. I guess Russia hopes they have more bodies than Ukraine ammunition. 

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

55 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

And you want to quote MSNBC and the Rachel Maddow Show? LOL. That's Democrat propaganda central.

I just took the first hit I found on google. It was a widely posted news story at the time.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Good thing Greene is an outlier in the GOP.

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

Oh right. And there are no idiot Democrats like this. Sure.

I've already acknowledged there are idiot R's. And for every one of them there's an idiot D out there too.

It is not a 1 to 1 ratio. Maybe before Trump it was, but now it is super skewed. It doesn't help that a good chunk of moderate Republicans have been driven away from the party. My wife's family were lifelong Republicans, and now they are all independent aside from one crazy Uncle that posts conspiracy theories all the time.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

It is not a 1 to 1 ratio. Maybe before Trump it was, but now it is super skewed. It doesn't help that a good chunk of moderate Republicans have been driven away from the party. My wife's family were lifelong Republicans, and now they are all independent aside from one crazy Uncle that posts conspiracy theories all the time.

And tomorrow you're going to see millions of people who used to be D lifers walking away from the Democratic Party. The news media, being totally in the tank for the Democrats, always loves to highlight and showcase only the R crazies. But ordinary average people know all about the D crazies too, who are absolutely 1:1.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

And tomorrow you're going to see millions of people who used to be D lifers walking away from the Democratic Party. The news media, being totally in the tank for the Democrats, always loves to highlight and showcase only the R crazies. But ordinary average people know all about the D crazies too, who are absolutely 1:1.

Agreed, I am expecting comprehensive GOP victories but once the midterms are over then we can analyze why and where the Democrats are going wrong 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

John Milton 

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

^Its crazy to me that they just scoop people off the streets, hand them an AK-47 and a set of fatigues, and dump them on the front line. I mean jeez, at least send them through some form of a truncated basic training. Conscripts will never be a match for a professional army (unless you have a Billion to bumrush with) but this is just a meatgrinder.

Its true and this is the  " advantage "  about being an autocrat and controlling the country through security forces and an iron fist. Putin doesnt have to be concerned with the lives of Russians because citizens cant do anything to change the reality of his leadership and there is no free media to significantly  criticize his decisions and their  outcomes 

• Like 1

John Milton 

11 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Its true and this is the  " advantage "  about being an autocrat and controlling the country through security forces and an iron fist. Putin doesnt have to be concerned with the lives of Russians because citizens cant do anything to change the reality of his leadership and there is no free media to significantly  criticize his decisions and their  outcomes 

Right, but youd think he is concerned about winning the war. Ffs, if the article is to be believed, the professional army is back on the 3rd(!) line. Lol, what.

• Like 1

What's the difference between a fiscally responsible Republican and orcs? One's a fantasy character, and the others are the bad guys in Lord of the Rings. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 3
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Just now, Gfted1 said:

Right, but youd think he is concerned about winning the war. Ffs, if the article is to be believed, the professional army is back on the 3rd(!) line. Lol, what.

Can use lower quality troops to shield better ones that need rest.  I think Ukraine used their TDF in a similar fashion, at least in intent, not as poorly as Russia seems to be using these.  And defending with them is not as bad as using them as attack.

Putting the best troops in the third line is a tried and true approach, but luckily the Russians did not seem to learn the 2500 year old lesson that a more flexible command strategy often stops things from going to the proverbial triarii. Res ad triarios rediit and all that. :shrugz:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

Putting the best troops in the third line is a tried and true approach, but luckily the Russians did not seem to learn the 2500 year old lesson that a more flexible command strategy often stops things from going to the proverbial triarii. Res ad triarios rediit and all that. :shrugz:

I didnt know that. Fascinating: Triarii - Wikipedia

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

22 minutes ago, majestic said:

What's the difference between a fiscally responsible Republican and orcs? One's a fantasy character, and the others are the bad guys in Lord of the Rings. :p

Those are salient points, but AOC didn't reply to my DM respectfully asking for feet pics so both sides are equally bad.

"Deny feet, get heat" - Quentin Tarantino 

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Yeah, there was another article from a couple of weeks ago I read in which they quote Russian commanders openly saying they have put the "reservists" in two lines on the west side of the river just so that they will serve as obstacles through which the Ukrainians will have to assault before they get to the "good" Russian troops.

9 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

Are you aware, that the Bridge over the Kakhovka Dam is in one of the red rectangles? And my image is from November the 3rd, where it was hit again, and there was a big fire exactly in the red rectangles…

0) No I'm not, because it isn't.

1) The dam/ bridge blocks/ crosses the Dniepr River, which is maybe 300m wide at that point, not 15m. The lock is 15m wide. Handy wikimapia link as illustration. Make sure to turn on the satellite imagery too as...

2) ..the tweet is from Nov 3, but..

3) ..the satellite imagery most definitely is not from Nov 3, it's bog standard Google imagery which could be anything up to literal years old. This is what it looks like on a more up to date image. Note the two extra bridges, and the infill.

6 hours ago, majestic said:

You could argue they are actually fighting like a 500bc army at times... when generals lead from the front and peasants were expendable.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein