The All Things Political Topic - Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation

Gromnir

Biden pardons thousands of people convicted with marijuana charges...but possibly more importantly, if anything comes of it:

In addition to the pardons, Biden said he had instructed Secretary of Health and Human Services Xavier Becerra and Attorney General Merrick Garland to begin reviewing how marijuana is classified under federal drug laws.

Biden noted that marijuana is currently a schedule one substance under federal drug sentencing guidelines, “the same as heroin and LSD – and more serious than fentanyl,” said Biden. “It makes no sense.”

“Too many lives have been upended because of our failed approach to marijuana,” said Biden. “It’s time that we right these wrongs.”

• Like 3
  • Gasp! 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Biden pardons thousands of people convicted with marijuana charges...but possibly more importantly, if anything comes of it:

I'm pleasantly shocked.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Long overdue and its egregious that anyone should be prosecuted for usage and possession of marijuana 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

After 30 years and not far off a dozen appeals New Zealand's most infamous case of satanic child abuse/ Moral Panic has been quashed. That case alone remains responsible for the dearth of male teachers here even three decades later.

I was at school in Christchurch at that time and the two things that I remember vividly were how few people- even those you'd expect to, like the stereotypical anti gay rugger buggers- believed the accusations and how extremely badly regarded the parents of the 'victims', the experts and police were. While the evidence was never presented to the jury the highly bizarre allegations of things like blood orgies in the (physically and literally non existent) basement and babies being microwaved leaked extensively. The jury, of course, only heard the parts of the children's interviews that were plausible. I'd also note that despite what that article says the parents were actually mostly 'liberals' rather than conservatives of either big or little C type, though the police were deeply conservative. Including, ironically, the lead detective who bonked multiple mothers of victims- not a joke, he had relationships with two and Police Emergency Retirement Funded when a third complained about him propositioning her while drunk; and years later was still talking about how the case came about because of people ignoring christian values. Nothing says Christian like using accusations of sexual abuse and your job position to get your end away, I guess.

Peter Ellis, the guy convicted, died three years ago. In an uncharacteristically sensible move the appeal was still allowed to be heard despite that. Sadly, while many of the 'victims' recanted (or were "in denial", according to most of the prior appeals' findings) some are still convinced they were abused thanks to incompetent experts and, to be charitable, overly protective and gullible parents. To be uncharitable, around 500,000$ was paid out in compensation to the victims' families, while those who refused to take part in the witch hunt got nothing.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 3:02 AM, BruceVC said:

Long overdue and its egregious that anyone should be prosecuted for usage and possession of marijuana 

Don't get too excited BruceVC.

This move by Biden is 99%+ just theatrics, aimed to get the gullible to think he's doing something on their behalf. Similar to his student loan forgiveness decree (though pardons are actually within his legal powers, where forgiving student loans in the manner he is attempting to, is not).

The reality is that no one has been in Federal prison for 'simple marijuana possession' in many decades (if ever even). One would be hard pressed to find a single person in jail nationwide solely for marijuana possession in the modern era. Even in states where it remains a criminal offense, in practice it's an offense that is either completely overlooked or results in a small fine. This has been true throughout most of the USA for decades.

Generally speaking, when it comes to any drug, if the Federal government is involved in the prosecution you've exceeded a statutory threshold which gives them jurisdiction. Example: In the 1990s you could grow 49 marijuana plants in your house without running afoul of the DEA. You certainly might run afoul of your local or state police department, but 50 was the magic number to get you indicted on Federal charges (it might still be the magic #, I haven't kept up on it since the early 00s).

The legality/illegality of drugs is all sorts of wonked throughout most of the world, but Biden isn't the marijuana users friend, and many of them realize it. One of my biggest stoner friends who despised the Orange Man and voted for Biden blew up my phone the other day bitching about this, because he at first thought it was great thing like you, and then he realized it was yet another manufactured lie.

• Hmmm 1

On 10/7/2022 at 2:08 PM, Zoraptor said:

though the police were deeply conservative.

For reasons of temperament, I think you're very unlikely to get non-conservative police forces anywhere, at least in places where people can choose their occupation. For the same reasons of temperament, you're very unlikely to get a conservative theather troupe, for instance. People just don't want to do stuff that goes against their temperamental makeup.

But I agree there are degrees. Of depth, too, when it comes to conservatism.

Anyway, good to hear about that, even if it happened too late. I would assume that absolutely none of these cases anywhere in the world were true, but I suppose one or two might have been, just. An awful lot of damage was done to an awful lot of people, though. I suppose it's an indelible stain on the psychiatric community.

Edited by xzar_monty

6 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Imo, the more important result will be the lowering of the drug scheduling of marijuana.

The President of the United States and the executive branch has zero power to do this.

The 'scheduling' of drugs was created by an act of congress. It will take an act of congress to reschedule or de-schedule any drug.

So yea... Biden just making noise to make those who don't know any better think he's doing something.

All that said, I don't disagree at all that it should be lowered. It's just not something the POTUS has legitimate authority to do.

At least here in WA state we're getting saturation bombed with political advertisements. It's to the point where we get a candidate attack on an opponent immediately followed by the opponent attacking the candidate. This is followed by another pair attacking each other before returning to the first pair. Somebody sure is spending a lot of buckaroos on this stuff. I've taken to just listening to music so I can ignore the repetitive political rubbish.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

What I would consider a "forgotten conflict" (at least by the western world)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-63218963

Soran uses his hands often when he talks. His feet too, as he kicks out to show me how he was beaten by Iranian security forces.

"It happened a few days ago when I was protesting," he says. "The regime beat me in the back, they kicked me and used truncheons to hit me. They shot my friend, and others too. All because I took part in the demonstrations."

Just one of many stories about life in Iran at the moment. Unrest and clashes are increasing as is the death toll (the latter rather rapidly).

"At least 20 were killed last night," he tells the the group. "Some say as many as 40. More than 70 were arrested. But we can't talk about it, because we'll be killed. Iranian intelligence are always watching, they secretly film. They imprisoned my brother in jail for political reasons.

Now would be a good opportunity to provide something that could unite the internal resistance to the Ayatollah's?

• Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Trump worker told FBI about moving Mar-a-Lago boxes on ex-president’s orders

kinda tough to not indict assuming is true, and given the recent doj filing which mentions evidence o' obstruction, am thinking the release o' this story is hardly coincidental.

keep in mind indictment is so not same as conviction, but is difficult to explain why the doj would avoid charges o' the x-president given the former guy's public efforts at self-immolation as well as the reveal that somebody in trump's employ spoke to the feds and gave testimony which makes don's knowledge o' the existence o' additional documents marked as classified less o' a question. such testimony is also pretty freaking strong evidence o' trump intent. add in fact that doj believes trump has not yet turned over all documents marked as classified and an indictment is all but a forgone conclusion in our estimation.

meanwhile, at mar-a-lago...

8e6116be-69fb-4719-acd7-c534354922fc_tex

but again, am cautioning people who thinks the case against trump is a slam dunk. the obstruction aspect is looking stronger. however, the espionage act is not how any prosecutor would wanna go after trump, and a jury trial o' an ex-prez who has a cult-like following makes even a solid case a bit o' a gamble, and prosecutors ain't 'posed to gamble with justice.

in any event, while have been directing our criticism most to judge cannon's overt buffoonery and her handling o' the pre-indictment civil stoopid she allowed team trump to pursue, am now at a point where we would admit genuine surprise if there were failure to indict.   

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

23 hours ago, Gorth said:

Soran uses his hands often when he talks. His feet too, as he kicks out to show me how he was beaten by Iranian security forces.

"It happened a few days ago when I was protesting," he says. "The regime beat me in the back, they kicked me and used truncheons to hit me. They shot my friend, and others too. All because I took part in the demonstrations."

Just one of many stories about life in Iran at the moment. Unrest and clashes are increasing as is the death toll (the latter rather rapidly).

"At least 20 were killed last night," he tells the the group. "Some say as many as 40. More than 70 were arrested. But we can't talk about it, because we'll be killed. Iranian intelligence are always watching, they secretly film. They imprisoned my brother in jail for political reasons.

Now would be a good opportunity to provide something that could unite the internal resistance to the Ayatollah's?

23 hours ago, Gorth said:

Why do you think the current Iranian civil unrest is forgotten by the Western world? The unrest in Iran is covered everyday on all the international channels I have access to but most international journalists and general access to Iran  is restricted so its not like access to Ukraine

Also as I have mentioned several times a war like Ukraine thats on the border of the EU and directly impacts the stability of the EU is definitely going to be more of a concern to Western countries than a war in Iran or Ethiopia 

Its the responsibility of institutions like the AU and the ME countries to show the most concern when there are wars in there regions. Dont you think thats reasonable?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@Gromnir

The employee who was working at Mar-a-Lago is cooperating with the Justice Department and has been interviewed multiple times by federal agents, according to the people familiar with the situation, who declined to identify the worker.

In the first interview, these people said, the witness denied handling sensitive documents or the boxes that might contain such documents. As they gathered evidence, agents decided to re-interview the witness, and the witness’s story changed dramatically, these people said. In the second interview, the witness described moving boxes at Trump’s request.

Do their words become worth less if they initially lied to the FBI? Genuinely asking, I don't know about this sort of thing.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

@Gromnir

Do their words become worth less if they initially lied to the FBI? Genuinely asking, I don't know about this sort of thing.

there is a famous scene from witness for the prosecution (1957) which you likely never has seen but know even so 'cause has been done in variations a thousand times. 

"the question is, frau helm, were you lying then, are you lying now, or are you not in fact a chronic and habitual liar!"

(will check internet)

is verboten to attack the character o' a witness not 'cause we want politeness in court but 'cause to impugn character o' witness is deemed irrelevant and has a tendency to prejudice that witness in the eyes o' a jury. exception: propensity for falsehood is always relevant, which is one reason no lawyer would ever put trump on the stand to act as a witness in his own defense. regardless, the aforementioned scene, plays out everyday in courts 'cross the land, albeit with far less drama.

impeach a witness as to their tendency for mendacity is relevant and allowable under the rules o' evidence in every US state as well as fed courts. however, is not some kinda objective standard. judge doesn't instruct jury to dismiss witness testimony if the witness lied 'bout their age on a facebook profile. assuming the witness offers a decent explanation which convinces the jury/judge they is telling the truth, such as speaking against their own interests, then a finder of fact may decide the testimony offered is reliable enuff.

keep in mind that it is illegal to lie to the feds in most instances. by admitting he/she lied to feds, the witness exposed self to legal jeopardy. have witness explain why he/she were afraid o' speaking truthful to the feds may not be in trump's best interest, so the degree to which prospective defense attorneys seek to impeach on truthfulness is a tactical consideration which is all kinda schrödinger's cat at the moment.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Think Truss will last the weekend ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

50 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Huh. I don't get the connection between oil and Van Gogh or sunflowers.

BP has donated loads of money to the gallery, as I understand it. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man