The All Things Political Topic - We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office

Gorth

9 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Iberia was 1000 years ago. Even if you push it as far as you can it's still 500+ years. Most of Africa was still colonised well within living memory.

Memories  and history is  not  passed down physiologically , you can learn what happen historically if someone tells you about it but historical trauma is not physically transferred to a baby.  For example if your father is a Vietnam Viet and has PTSD that doesnt mean his children will have PTSD because lived experience creates PTSD 

Colonialism in Africa was started in the 1600's and there were different outcomes of Colonialism but you cant make a blanket statement that says " inequality and poverty in Africa is due to Colonialism " (and Im not saying you saying that but others do ) when there are direct and current reasons for numerous problems in Africa and these have nothing to do with Colonialism 

Thats what most people mean when they say " they tired of hearing about colonialism as the reasons for many and current  problems "

Oh something else interesting about  the end of Colonialism, most  African countries got there independence from the early 1960s. That was over 60 years ago so the era of Colonialism is not part of living memory for  most people unless you 70 years or older

https://www.thoughtco.com/chronological-list-of-african-independence-4070467

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/chips-wont-help-china/

Lol what a bull**** article.  Nothing the US does helps NOR hinders China.  China is an entity that is growing quite nice own its own, U.S. is an annoying fly at best.  They have some progress to go, they are still a developing nation, but they are well on their way to becoming the greatest economy in the world.

The proof is in the pudding, they have effectively got 7nm process down, their video games are showing lots of potential, and their vehicle manufacturing is already state of the art in many ways (Built in GPS, 5G, Traffic monitoring, electrical, ect.), they just need a bit more muscle in their quality to compete with U.S./Euro/Japanese counterparts and they've all but got it.  But it is not the Chinese way to forge ahead belligerently, they know that gradual development is the key to national success so they are in no rush to emulate U.S. values of predatory industrial manufacturing.

3 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/chips-wont-help-china/

Lol what a bull**** article.  Nothing the US does helps NOR hinders China.  China is an entity that is growing quite nice own its own, U.S. is an annoying fly at best.  They have some progress to go, they are still a developing nation, but they are well on their way to becoming the greatest economy in the world.

The proof is in the pudding, they have effectively got 7nm process down, their video games are showing lots of potential, and their vehicle manufacturing is already state of the art in many ways (Built in GPS, 5G, Traffic monitoring, electrical, ect.), they just need a bit more muscle in their quality to compete with U.S./Euro/Japanese counterparts and they've all but got it.  But it is not the Chinese way to forge ahead belligerently, they know that gradual development is the key to national success so they are in no rush to emulate U.S. values of predatory industrial manufacturing.

Great points raised Comrade and dont forget that  China is a more free society than the US and all other Western countries. We mustnt forget that :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Great points raised Comrade and dont forget that  China is a more free society than the US and all other Western countries. We mustnt forget that :thumbsup:

Indeed. In China people get to vote for their leader. In fact, they even get encouraged vigorously to vote for their leader. Also, less confusion when there are no opposition parties. Streamlines the entire process in the name of efficiency 👍

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

25 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Indeed. In China people get to vote for their leader. In fact, they even get encouraged vigorously to vote for their leader. Also, less confusion when there are no opposition parties. Streamlines the entire process in the name of efficiency 👍

Absolutely and why do  citizens need to question government anyway, our governments and politicians always know whats best for us 

Its a classic case of  a BruceVCism  and " problem solved " :lol:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Not that I really like sharing doom and gloom, but it does look worrying...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62310355

...But the contraction, at an annual rate of 0.9% in the three months to July, has drawn widespread attention as worries about the economy grow.

Prices for groceries, petrol and other basics are rising at the fastest pace since 1981.

As the US central bank raises borrowing costs quickly to try to cool the economy and ease price pressures, fears are rising that a recession is coming - if it has not officially started already.

as for the possible reasons:

"I think everybody is sort of waiting for the pandemic to blow over, for the war in Ukraine to settle down, but that's not going to resolve any of the inherent systemic flaws," he says, citing high housing costs, student debt and speculative bubbles in sectors like crypto.

High housing cost is not a surprise. I've been claiming for years, it's going to be a major contributor to damaging social stability in the western world...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, Gorth said:

Not that I really like sharing doom and gloom, but it does look worrying...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62310355

...But the contraction, at an annual rate of 0.9% in the three months to July, has drawn widespread attention as worries about the economy grow.

Prices for groceries, petrol and other basics are rising at the fastest pace since 1981.

As the US central bank raises borrowing costs quickly to try to cool the economy and ease price pressures, fears are rising that a recession is coming - if it has not officially started already.

as for the possible reasons:

"I think everybody is sort of waiting for the pandemic to blow over, for the war in Ukraine to settle down, but that's not going to resolve any of the inherent systemic flaws," he says, citing high housing costs, student debt and speculative bubbles in sectors like crypto.

High housing cost is not a surprise. I've been claiming for years, it's going to be a major contributor to damaging social stability in the western world...

The article makes some good points but its also  misleading because the first paragraph states " The US economy has  "shrunk for the second quarter in a row, a milestone that in many countries would be considered an economic recession " 

The US is in a technical recession because thats 2 quarters of negative  GDP growth but its not in real recession which is the bad one. So its not  an economic recession because all recessions are economic, the correct term is a technical recession.

The  US unemployment rate is less than 4% and certain sectors are seeing growth, consumer spending  and investment. Its an unusual economic reality to be in but its not in " real " recession " which requires other things to be not working. Here is good link that explains the difference between recession and technical recession

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/recession.asp  

And  inflation is the main reason for this, Im not convinced things like student debt, housing costs or crypto crashing are as relevant as the inflation impact to overall economic and sustained growth. But we will have to wait and see how things unfold 

John Milton 

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/pa-teacher-suspended-after-jan-6-fired-for-not-working/

I have just watched this development  on CNN and I really think this teacher has been badly treated

He attended some of the 6 January rallies  but he was not involved in violence at all and was 1 mile away from the Capital. He was fired for not coming back to work because he wanted a public apology from the school board, to quote 

"Speaking to the board Thursday, Moorehead said the board fed the community lies. He said he was never a part of the violence on Jan. 6, but that the school board painted him as an "active participant in the riots."

"When the district finally admitted to me privately that I had done nothing wrong and that I could return, they refused to let the community know that I am safe, to alleviate both their fears and my fears about returning," he said. "I'm being fired for refusing to come to a place that is unsafe, a situation you guys created."

This is a good example of unfair targeting of Conservatives in the US. A person should be able to attend a rally without being vilified and slandered by the radical left

@Hurlshot Im sure  you going to be equally upset by this, imagine how you would feel if someone started a rumor at your school, that was believed, that when you go to Vegas you indulge in drug and hooker parties?

The school board should have publicly clarified that he was not involved in any criminality  on 6 January

Culture Wars strikes again :aiee:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Haha 1

John Milton 

10 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Man fired for not going to work. Shocking!

No Hurlshot, thats not the issue. He had every right to expect an apology and the board setting the record straight 

He had pupils, teachers and parents thinking he was involved in the  violence on 6 January. All he did was attend a " save America rally " 

That doesnt give anyone the right to destroy his reputation 

John Milton 

Whenever the supposed persecution of American conservatives comes up, I can't help but think of Daniel Baker getting almost four years in prison for facebook posts.

https://theintercept.com/2021/10/16/daniel-baker-anarchist-capitol-riot/

During his sentencing hearing on Tuesday, Baker’s attorney highlighted the case of a Georgia man who drove to Washington, D.C., with guns and ammunition and sent private texts threatening to shoot Rep. Nancy Pelosi in the head. The Trump acolyte had missed the storming of the Capitol by one day due to car trouble. Like Baker, he was charged with the interstate communication of threats. Unlike Baker, he had a history of hideous, racist online speech, and direct threats. And unlike Baker, he could leave prison soon: He will be sentenced in December and faces between six months to two years in prison; his eight months of pretrial detention will count as time served. Taking into account time served, meanwhile, Baker will spend another 34 months — almost three years — in prison.

Of course it's in Florida.

• Confused 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

No Hurlshot, thats not the issue. He had every right to expect an apology and the board setting the record straight 

He had pupils, teachers and parents thinking he was involved in the  violence on 6 January. All he did was attend a " save America rally " 

That doesnt give anyone the right to destroy his reputation 

A variation of the old "I enjoy participating in gatherings with racists, but I'm actually not a racist" conundrum. A common companion of "how can I be a racist if I have a black friend" and "how can that guy be racist if black people voted for him."

I'm sure there were some German dudes at the rally of freedom in 1935 who just really loved freedom. 

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

20 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

A variation of the old "I enjoy participating in gatherings with racists, but I'm actually not a racist" conundrum. A common companion of "how can I be a racist if I have a black friend" and "how can that guy be racist if black people voted for him."

I'm sure there were some German dudes at the rally of freedom in 1935 who just really loved freedom. 

21 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

The issue is not that he was accused of being a racist but not everyone who attends Trump rallies is a racist.

The issue is the board accused him and created the impression that he was an active participant in the violence of 6 January and that created reputation damage for him because at the school he worked at people believed it. It wasnt true.  Thousands of people participated in 6 January rallies and most of them didnt storm the Capital or break the law 

Dont you guys have defamation in Sweden where you can sue for it under certain circumstances?

We dont know if he is racist, its not about racism. This about a false accusation about his  criminality on 6 January

John Milton 

6 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

The issue is not that he was accused of being a racist but not everyone who attends Trump rallies is a racist.

The issue is the board accused him and created the impression that he was an active participant in the violence of 6 January and that created reputation damage for him because at the school he worked at people believed it. It wasnt true.  Thousands of people participated in 6 January rallies and most of them didnt storm the Capital or break the law 

Dont you guys have defamation in Sweden where you can sue for it under certain circumstances?

We dont know if he is racist, its not about racism. This about a false accusation about his  criminality on 6 January

Pennsylvania is 'at will' state where employers can dismiss employees without cause.

So maybe he should next time go protest Pennsylvania's worker laws instead. And sue his employer if he thinks that they have defamed him instead of not going to work in state where there is no employment protection.

• Gasp! 1

9 minutes ago, Elerond said:

Pennsylvania is 'at will' state where employers can dismiss employees without cause.

So maybe he should next time go protest Pennsylvania's worker laws instead. And sue his employer if he thinks that they have defamed him instead of not going to work in state where there is no employment protection.

So you are fine living in a world where someone protests peacefully and then someone makes a false allegation that they committed a crime and then that person gets fired?

Its not  about the legal right of the school board, I am asking if you are personally fine with that and if  that is how  our Democracies should function?

Thats not what happened with Moorehead but that seems to be what you saying in your post?

John Milton 

firefox_VhukJtXlTl.png

"Christianity didn't become a world religion because of the quality of its teachings, but by the quantity of its violence." What a gorgeous line - mind you, it's applicable to other religions besides just Christianity, but it's especially relevant today given today's ever-growing Christofascist movement.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

So you are fine living in a world where someone protests peacefully and then someone makes a false allegation that they committed a crime and then that person gets fired?

Its not  about the legal right of the school board, I am asking if you are personally fine with that and if  that is how  our Democracies should function?

Thats not what happened with Moorehead but that seems to be what you saying in your post?

No, I like live in country where there are protections for employees, but Pennsylvania is not place where employees have legal protection, like I said employers  there can fire people without giving any reason if they feel like it. So if they fire someone who is protesting it is not any different them firing person who didn't nothing. So if person does not like how things work in their home state they should protest for change laws there.

Pennsylvania is under republican control, so this republican voter most likely has at least in past agreed with their employment laws and that employers should have right to fire anyone they like to fire. 

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Elerond said:

No, I like live in country where there are protections for employees, but Pennsylvania is not place where employees have legal protection, like I said employers  there can fire people without giving any reason if they feel like it. So if they fire someone who is protesting it is not any different them firing person who didn't nothing. So if person does not like how things work in their home state they should protest for change laws there.

Pennsylvania is under republican control, so this republican voter most likely has at least in past agreed with their employment laws and that employers should have right to fire anyone they like to fire. 

The article was light on details, but odds are he was protected by a Union and so they did have to give a reason, and the reason was he didn't show up for work for a year. He says he felt threatened but there is no detail about that. But the idea that you aren't going to come to work until your managers apologize sounds pretty silly. I'm guessing he can go fill a teaching job in Florida though.

edit: It's actually pretty hard to lose a job as a teacher after you get tenure. As long as you take attendance and show up most days, the school district is going to struggle to document a real case for removing a teacher. This guy went under review for some pretty serious stuff and he still wasn't fired for it.

Edited by Hurlsnot
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

firefox_VhukJtXlTl.png

"Christianity didn't become a world religion because of the quality of its teachings, but by the quantity of its violence." What a gorgeous line - mind you, it's applicable to other religions besides just Christianity, but it's especially relevant today given today's ever-growing Christofascist movement.

is worth noting 'bout half o' oglala is christian, most o' those is catholic. during and particular after the so-called "indian wars," more than a few o' the christian missionaries, at great personal risk, placed themselves 'tween the US government and native peoples. is also easy to forget just how many US military officers and enlisted men vilified the treatment o' indigenous peoples, and the basis for such vocal rejection o' US policy were typical rooted in the christian beliefs o' those military men. we always hear stories o' massacres and violence, but we rare hear 'bout the ordinary line officers who open criticized President grant and others. the oglala o' the late 1800s were understandably less concerned with the history o' christianity than they were with the actions and behaviour o' those claiming to be christian. 

elanor is a passionate young woman, and we applaud her efforts, but try and imagine the nineteen year-old criticizing the faith o' black elk and others who converted to catholicism. one o' the great powers o' the young is the ability to see the world in black and white with stark contrasts 'tween right and wrong. the bad guys is often obvious to young people: the government, republicans, the church, boomers. fight with absolute certainty you is right and that the people you are fighting against is bad is a strength and young people has brought 'bout important change in this world 'cause they often/usual fight with absolute certainty they is right... even if they ain't so right as they thought.

am not a fan o' organized religion, but am personal reluctant to curse any major faith. most o' us recognize the manifest unfairness o' damning all muslims 'cause o' the actions taken by individuals on 9/11, yes? that would be wrong. am not gonna do same for christians and blame 'em for the many transgressions o' the christian faithful over the centuries.

black elk saw wisdom in catholic teachings that he did not believe invalidated his own beliefs. am personal not believing Gromnir is up to the task o' judging black elk or the many other oglala who found value in their earnest held christian faith.

*descends from soap box*

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 hours ago, Elerond said:

I suppose I support the right of women to travel to other states to have abortions so you make a good point here. And you right, the states do have different laws in different ways 

But Democrats won in 2020 in Pennsylvania so this is another good reason to vote them out, you right Elerond ;) 

John Milton 

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.