Ukraine Conflict - "History never looks like history when you are living through it."

Mamoulian War

26 minutes ago, Elerond said:

I would point out that Zora claimed until last day that Russia will not invade Ukraine and there is no reason for them doing so. So I would not sigh for relief 😉

Elerond you must never forget Finland has been invaded by the USSR, so this Russian jingoism and belligerence cannot be ignored anymore 

Personally I feel much better and happier now that Finland and Sweden are going to be official NATO members. I am sure everyone feels the same ...now you really part of the family and we protect and support our family 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Elerond you must never forget Finland has been invaded by the USSR, so this Russian jingoism and belligerence cannot be ignored anymore 

Personally I feel much better and happier now that Finland and Sweden are going to be official NATO members. I am sure everyone feels the same ...now you really part of the family and we protect and support our family 

Finland's and Sweden's NATO membership isn't yet certain.

Turkey only dropped its opposition to start membership negotiations. There is still lot of opportunities for milking more stuff and delay the process

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elerond said:

I would point out that Zora claimed until last day that Russia will not invade Ukraine and there is no reason for them doing so.

The closest you'd get was me laughing at the prediction of a definite Feb 16th invasion date. Which was, well, incorrect.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, majestic said:

Okay, 20 year old reference is old, but maybe it'll work. :p

Freedom never dies.

170.png

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5 hours ago, majestic said:

Why do you hate freedom?

Okay, 20 year old reference is old, but maybe it'll work. :p

Course it will work. Bruce is here.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

The closest you'd get was me laughing at the prediction of a definite Feb 16th invasion date. Which was, well, incorrect.

Just some hours before Russia started their invasion, you thought that Russia recognised Lugansk and Donetsk in order to have leverage in negotiations but as we saw it was Russian way to get casus belli their invasion  🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Turkey only dropped its opposition to start membership negotiations. There is still lot of opportunities for milking more stuff and delay the process

What else do you think Turkey would want ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The US govt has said they did not give any concessions or rewards to Turkey. I hope so, because I definitely do not want Turkey's return to the F-35 program as I do not trust them one bit.

10 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

We can all now breath a huge sigh of relief because France is finally fully onboard a common Western stance. Welcome to sanity, Manny!! ;)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/russian-missile-strike-hits-crowded-shopping-mall-in-ukraine/2022/06/28/3141e28e-f6aa-11ec-81db-ac07a394a86b_story.html

Compared to Bucha, a missile going off target getting this reaction is funny.  Maybe they are low on missiles finally (as we've been hearing since, March ?) if they used a Kh-22 - guess it locked on to the mall.

17 hours ago, Elerond said:

Just some hours before Russia started their invasion, you thought that Russia recognised Lugansk and Donetsk in order to have leverage in negotiations but as we saw it was Russian way to get casus belli their invasion  🤷‍♂️

Truth to be told, I was sure that this was a more reasonable solution. Use diplo leverage from the EU on UA to get back to Minsk accord and assign the autonomy of those regions plus make sure that UA will never be in NATO. 

Even as the conflict seemed ineviatable, the most logical thing to do was to run a show of force and take over those two oblasts while making UA soldiers retreat under shock and awe. The strategic territorial gain would be also extending the land corridor to Crimea and lifting blockades from Crimea, so basically what they are doing now. 

I would had have never imagined RU was stupid enough to go for the big cities, including Kiev. I believe i mentioned right there, that Russia effectively made the war unwinnable when they attempted assault on Kiev. 

Edited by Darkpriest

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Compared to Bucha, a missile going off target getting this reaction is funny.

That's a fair point, but I think the reaction has something to do with the "last straw that breaks the camel's back" phenomenon, in the sense that when injustices or other such things accumulate, the point where folks go "I've had it, this is enough" is sort of arbitrary.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Elerond said:

I was certainly wrong on the leverage part (though they still haven't joined/ been annexed by Russia, so right on that). And on balance of evidence didn't think the Russians would invade, which was also wrong.

It was explicitly on balance of evidence though, not stated as an absolute (eg 'unlikely' 'probably' and 'at this time', not 'will not'). Plenty of examples of me saying explicitly that they would not invade earlier though when they only had 100k troops, the shift was due to them having roughly the number I thought they needed for an invasion. Closest I got to an explicit will not later was when they didn't on the 16th.

Last clause is definitely a bit lol though- let's be honest, I'd probably done a better job of setting out why Russia did have reasons to invade than Russia herself in the lead up; even if I didn't think they'd do it.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BruceVC said:

@Zoraptor Zora you did say that, Elerond is absolutely correct

Do you acknowledge you said that ? 

Well, a lot of people with a little bit more knowledge on Russia/Ukraine relations said that in a lot of different places, including myself, because no rational person would ever do this kind of action against country of 50 million with battle hardened army, with many allies, and would consider it as an easy and profitable task... Even the most powerful/rich oligarch in Russia Deripaska has released the statement few days ago at one of the schools, that destroying Ukraine is completely stupid idea, which would not bring anything to Russia, and that Russian has lost in 4 months every economic progress, which they achieved after the break-up of USSR...

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/tycoon-deripaska-casts-doubt-russia-quest-victory-ukraine-2022-06-28/

Everyone sane in Russia except the ideological leaders and people deeply lost into their propaganda are seeing this from the beginning, and even before beginning of the war, that this conquest will bring Russia absolutely nothing...

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours