warhammer 40k: rogue trader

• 3 weeks later...

I got my key for the game. There was a choice between Steam and Epic, so I grabbed the Steam one (because Epic basically never does sales for DLC, while Steam you can get DLC cheap from other stores). Now I see that tomorrow I could have gotten a GOG key :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Man, even buying the game is buggy

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They changed the prologue slightly. Nothing significant, just a fight here and an in-game cut scene there.

You can now hire custom NPC's for your party, which means you can have a full party right from the beginning of chapter 1, before you slowly collect all npcs

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/rogue-trader-is-the-first-warhammer-40k-game-ive-played-that-feels-genuinely-epic

The RPS preview seems to be favourable. For those who have played, could you confirm that the system requirements are correct (storage space and VRAM, in particular) and, if you have experienced it, whether the overheating issue that was present in PF has been fixed?

Considering how the previous Owlcat titles went technically and the presence of a Season Pass (which, as I understand, was not available for backing), I probably will wait for a few months. Still, looking forward to the game.

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590T CPU @ 2.00GHz
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX Vega 6 / Intel HD Graphics 630
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 40 GB available space

56 minutes ago, melkathi said:

The begging of the misadventures of Rouge Raider the Rogue Trader on her warp voyage aboard the Millenium Phyrr Cat.

QnAIh2Z.jpg

VN6ByA5.jpg

How many wet leopard growls have you seen so far?

• Haha 3
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Gonna get this anyway, but: What's the encounter design like? 

Combat in BG3 appears on the easy side at the time of me writing. But the prospect of fighting Owlcat mobs seems a bit daunting after a game that is this wasteful, it has many types of enemy appearing just for one fight. And then never again. Even Solasta on a modest budget tried to go with a quality over quantity approach, which so far hasn't been Owlcat's forte, to put it that way.

What could be more daunting than fighting the same mob for the second and third and fourth time on a map? Fighting the same mob for the second and third and fourth time in turn-based combat (and that's nothing against TB combat, mind).

So?

Edited by Sven_

In the prologue and chapter 1 you mostly fight the same human cultists. They are not interesting, but luckily you kill them fairly fast. If you use too many psychic powers, the veil between the real world and the warp gets thinner and stuff may happen, which may result in a daemon appearing (a bloodletter showed up for me ... and I killed it before it even got to act, as it materialized in charge distance and while I had full momentum. My melee guy just went to town on it).

It seems their main attempt so far has been to make combat "interesting" by having you "do stuff". Operatives (one of the character classes) analyze opponents, putting stacks of exploits on them, then you can trigger those fir extra damage or to debuff those enemies. Officers buff their allies and give them extra turns. Soldiers try to get extra attacks.

It all requires a bit of an effort.

Owlcat do not always seem to understand tedium. Those snipers up on a tower that are boring to run towards. The mini-boss that teleports on taking 25% of max health damage so you have to run after three times. Not all encounters are 100% compatible with turn based fun ;)

But so far the game isn't bad and I am only in the first system, so I guess it is pretty much only the introduction.

• Thanks 2

Oh, I didn't encounter many bugs so far. All the ones I had seen in the beta were fixed now.

In one fight the UI messed up and I stopped getting the hit info when hovering the mouse over my target.

Also, there are locations on the maps where an enemy can stand and ranged attacks won't hit/damage them, even though you have a line of sight. Something is messed up with the geometry of specific maps.

On 12/8/2023 at 10:05 AM, Hawke64 said:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/rogue-trader-is-the-first-warhammer-40k-game-ive-played-that-feels-genuinely-epic

The RPS preview seems to be favourable. For those who have played, could you confirm that the system requirements are correct (storage space and VRAM, in particular) and, if you have experienced it, whether the overheating issue that was present in PF has been fixed?

Considering how the previous Owlcat titles went technically and the presence of a Season Pass (which, as I understand, was not available for backing), I probably will wait for a few months. Still, looking forward to the game.

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590T CPU @ 2.00GHz
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX Vega 6 / Intel HD Graphics 630
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 40 GB available space

Storage space:

Size on Disk: 35.5 GB (38,183,088,128 bytes)

I didn't play enough Pathfinder to experience the overheating.

On my old PC it plays mostly fine, as long as I don't do too much on my second screen at the same time. When I was unzipping large files, the electropriest temple really slowed down to a crawl.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

Storage space:

Size on Disk: 35.5 GB (38,183,088,128 bytes)

I didn't play enough Pathfinder to experience the overheating.

On my old PC it plays mostly fine, as long as I don't do too much on my second screen at the same time. When I was unzipping large files, the electropriest temple really slowed down to a crawl.

Thank you.

The game is missing some odd things. Why can't I see my crit chance and some other stats and why can't I set my party formation? Why can't I search abilities during level up or items? I mean we have all these things in the PF games, seems odd to not include it.

• Haha 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I just found it on the Steam forum.

The game has formations.

They just hid them very well.

As in, most idiotic place to put something award 2023 goes to Owlcat.

Go to Settings (hit Escape).

Fourth option, under Save Game, Load Game, Cooperative Mode, and above Options, is Formation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 2

12 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Go to Settings (hit Escape).

Fourth option, under Save Game, Load Game, Cooperative Mode, and above Options, is Formation.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

The game is missing some odd things. Why can't I see my crit chance and some other stats and why can't I set my party formation? Why can't I search abilities during level up or items? I mean we have all these things in the PF games, seems odd to not include it.

Sounds like the interface could be more............balanced.

Fn7RXogaAAAptoS.jpg:large

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I hate that you have to have visibility of the tile to move a companion there... So far I'm 11 hours in and got my 6th companion. Playing on the one above normal difficulty. TB combat is still slow for me, but I am having fun. From what I can see movement skills are OP at least for early level. My MC is something close to a Paladin (Hive world noble officer) with a sniper rifle, going all in to FEL.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP