What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life

Hurlshort

An antivirus update bricked* the OS a week ago, so I spent the next few days on a spare PC while repairing the main one. Most of the software since the system image had been taken was reinstalled. The two issues were that I had to find a new antivirus and Windows Update tried to fill up the system drive, which considering its size was not a challenge. Hopefully, it has been resolved.
Switching to Linux seems more and more appealing, though some software (mostly games) will not work on that.
*about half of the system applications, the antivirus itself, and some of the devices did not work, no internet access either.

• Gasp! 1

16 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

An antivirus update bricked* the OS a week ago, so I spent the next few days on a spare PC while repairing the main one. Most of the software since the system image had been taken was reinstalled. The two issues were that I had to find a new antivirus and Windows Update tried to fill up the system drive, which considering its size was not a challenge. Hopefully, it has been resolved.
Switching to Linux seems more and more appealing, though some software (mostly games) will not work on that.
*about half of the system applications, the antivirus itself, and some of the devices did not work, no internet access either.

Whoa....hold on. Lets not completely overreact, you definitely dont get rid of Windows because of a minor anti-virus issue. Thats like saying after ordering your favorite pizza from the same restaurant for 20 years because they mixed up pepperoni with pancetta " you  never going to order from them again"....or its like the Chinese stopping building the Great Wall because a few bricks weren't  the right size after 10 years of progress?

Hawkie dont be part of cancel culture, thats exactly what the radical left want....they want you to stop using Microsoft. Dont fall for it :teehee:

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Assuming you have a supported Windows version that still gets critical updates and you have no other reason to use it (if you can't think of any off-handedly, you don't have any*), just don't use anti-virus software, especially not if it comes from Norton or McAfee, but generally... just don't. Waste of money, waste of system resources and if you get unlucky, a gaping gateway into your system - or it just might kill the OS. Turn on Windows Defender, throw out the AV, buy yourself a nice steak for dinner with the money saved.

*E.g. you need it to prevent USB attacks by users who don't know what they're doing when they just randomly plug in freebie USB devices, or worse, stuff they picked up from the floor. Arguably still can use intrusion detections systems without their AV parts, but they're often just part of the same suite anyway.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Assuming you have a supported Windows version that still gets critical updates and you have no other reason to use it (if you can't think of any off-handedly, you don't have any*), just don't use anti-virus software, especially not if it comes from Norton or McAfee, but generally... just don't. Waste of money, waste of system resources and if you get unlucky, a gaping gateway into your system - or it just might kill the OS. Turn on Windows Defender, throw out the AV, buy yourself a nice steak for dinner with the money saved.

*E.g. you need it to prevent USB attacks by users who don't know what they're doing when they just randomly plug in freebie USB devices, or worse, stuff they picked up from the floor. Arguably still can use intrusion detections systems without their AV parts, but they're often just part of the same suite anyway.

@Hawke64

You see what I mean, you will always get the worst advice from the radical left...now they suggesting " dont use AV "

This is how they take control of your PC with advanced malware. Always use AV, always use AV :thumbsup: 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

@Hawke64

You see what I mean, you will always get the worst advice from the radical left...now they suggesting " dont use AV "

This is how they take control of your PC with advanced malware. Always use AV, always use AV :thumbsup: 

77c.jpg

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, majestic said:

77c.jpg

Well played, this is a very appropriate meme and hilarious :grin:

John Milton 

Had to do some work on the weekend, apparently the internal team doing the work I have to check isn't aware I exist.  I forget what it is managers actually get paid for...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Came into work and had to wait almost two hours before i could actually start because they were doing a computer systems update that took the network down. It's back now, but I'm trapped in my office because they also hired a guy to polish the floors outside my office.

• Sad 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Came into work and it's chaos as usual, but atleast there's no system update so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Then again, the computer program we use is from the 90's, so once that update arrives...

Heh, I looked up the developers website, it does look slightly late 90's early 2000s in it's design XD

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So anyway I was looking onto taking G to Spain for her Birthday. I hadn't told her yet, she mentioned once a while ago she wanted to see Europe, Portugal & Spain in particular. I was 100% up for that. I've never been anywhere in Europe myself and I can speak Spanish passably well from working in Mexico. But I'm going to keep that one in my pocket until next year. Now she wants to visit Canada. It's literally three hours north of us but she's never had time to go.  I suggested going to the Stampede in Calgary in July. Well take a week and explore southern Alberta and Calgary and come back through the Dakota's. She's very excited. I think is sounds like fun. The only place in Canada I've ever been is Toronto. And that was just for work. 

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

So anyway I was looking onto taking G to Spain for her Birthday. I hadn't told her yet, she mentioned once a while ago she wanted to see Europe, Portugal & Spain in particular. I was 100% up for that. I've never been anywhere in Europe myself and I can speak Spanish passably well from working in Mexico. But I'm going to keep that one in my pocket until next year. Now she wants to visit Canada. It's literally three hours north of us but she's never had time to go.  I suggested going to the Stampede in Calgary in July. Well take a week and explore southern Alberta and Calgary and come back through the Dakota's. She's very excited. I think is sounds like fun. The only place in Canada I've ever been is Toronto. And that was just for work. 

canada is a nice place to live, but we wouldn't wanna visit.  is there a tim horton's in wisconsin? am knowing there are locations in indiana, michigan, ohio and ny state. hit up a tim horton's and then rent strange brew or kids in the hall episodes. save yourself a trip. 

kinda/sorta kidding. we like montréal, especial the food scene. am suspecting the sex trade ain't gonna be a draw if you are taking a companion. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps another alternative to road trip, exotica is an excellent canadian film, but not only does it carry the post weinstein miramax taint, it may be difficult to find a copy to rent. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

canada is a nice place to live, but we wouldn't wanna visit.  i

Totally stealing that line

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Weather: 90F-100F the weekend/all this week.  The (not too large) swimming pool temp. is over 80F in the afternoon. Gonna have to start tossing ice cubes in it. :shifty:

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

17 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Now she wants to visit Canada. It's literally three hours north of us but she's never had time to go.  I suggested going to the Stampede in Calgary in July. Well take a week and explore southern Alberta and Calgary and come back through the Dakota's. She's very excited. I think is sounds like fun. The only place in Canada I've ever been is Toronto. And that was just for work. 

Go visit BC or something, why go visit Wannabe America ? 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Mentally, I feel pretty good.
But I would die a thousand deaths without air conditioning.* 

*hyperbole

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 5/23/2022 at 11:56 PM, Guard Dog said:

You should discuss coming to SA, you can go on a Safari and do other things unique to an African holiday?

And you will be safe so dont think of crime as a reason not to come here plus the $ vs Rand is very strong so your overall costs will be vastly reduced based on what you will get in the EU or Canada 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

^Waaaay back in the day, my parents used to take me to Lion Country Safari Drive-Through Safari & Adventure Park | Lion Country Safari which is a "cageless" zoo that you drive your car through to see the animals. Otherwise I could never see myself vacationing to SA. I dont like being in the wilderness, and of course, the ever present threat of machete attack.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

^Waaaay back in the day, my parents used to take me to Lion Country Safari Drive-Through Safari & Adventure Park | Lion Country Safari which is a "cageless" zoo that you drive your car through to see the animals. Otherwise I could never see myself vacationing to SA. I dont like being in the wilderness, and of course, the ever present threat of machete attack.

Im also not a big game park person but many of my  family love game drives ....they go on 2x3 hour drives each day when they stay in the bush !!!

But SA has many other holiday destinations like beach, mountain and outdoor activities like shark-cage diving and wine farm tours even if you like us and you dont like wilderness\bush holidays to see the big 5 like Rhino and Elephants 

• Like 1

John Milton 

Geniuses in IT decide to remotely uninstall "old" versions of .NET and JREs.  Only problem is that those are needed for development.  So today is restoring Eclipse and VS environments, yay.  Upgrading VS projects' .NET versions is also exciting, for some reason VS decides to auto modify service files by....deleting the contents. :lol:

• Haha 2

This time it's the reverse: the weather is cooler but I'm in a depressive mood.  >.>  Not sure what triggered it - just wake up one day feeling that way and it is what it is I guess.

I need more cookies, but I guess these slightly off-tasting sugar-free chocolate lollipops will have to do.

Working sundays is always interesting. Had a Cop in my companies other lot, just there to catch speeders (He said after having sped past said cop in his black mustang). Other than that my role is being expanded just a touch to include tracking (which is basically "Hey driver, where are you?")

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

My father called and told me someone's remote controlling his computer. A minor heart attack and some blame-throwing later I went over and was properly confused that someone would hijack his computer to play Trailmakers on it. Turns out it was my nephew who used Steam's Stream-Play feature. Heh.

Edited by majestic
Forgot a later, apparently.
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, majestic said:

My father called and told me someone's remote controlling his computer. A minor heart attack and some blame-throwing around I went over and was properly confused that someone would hijack his computer to play Trailmakers on it. Turns out it was my nephew who used Steam's Stream-Play feature. Heh.

rofl!  Classic, I love it. Always nice when it turns out to be something like that.

Thanks, I needed that chuckle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majestic said:

My father called and told me someone's remote controlling his computer. A minor heart attack and some blame-throwing later I went over and was properly confused that someone would hijack his computer to play Trailmakers on it. Turns out it was my nephew who used Steam's Stream-Play feature. Heh.

the bitter pill to swallow is your father were right.  learn the lesson o' kreia, that betrayal, by its nature, is delivered by friends, family and allies.

"just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." -- original from the movie version of catch-22.

HA! Good Fun!

Spoiler

ps in case is missed, am not serious.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)