Ukraine conflict - im Westen nichts Neues

Elerond

Sure, it's going to f stuff up hard in the future. I'm already expecting increased energy prices. That said, the current events also affect me personally in at least 2 ways: First of course the money, because I will have to pay more for certain work to get done, and second, one of the people I am working with had to leave his home, but didn't manage to get out of the Ukraine and is now drafted into the defense forces. Don't know how it's going to continue from here, but everything sucks hard right now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/russia-hikes-key-rate-20-tells-companies-sell-fx-2022-02-28/

The egregious raising of the Russian key interest rate to 20%  by their Central Bank is just another example of the severe economic consequences Russia is facing due to Putins War

Well least Russia is such a strong economy their will no impact due to the invasion of Ukraine....oh wait

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, ComradeYellow said:

REAL NEWS: Russia now has complete air superiority over Ukraine.

Where have you seen this? I'm trying and failing to find this being reported.

In any case, if true, even just the fact that Russia has taken this long to achieve air superiority seems laughable to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

So it appears that Khuilostan was so certain about its victory it scheduled the following propaganda piece for 26th of February and forgot to take it out for a brief while. Google translate does a decent enough job.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220226051154/https://ria.ru/20220226/rossiya-1775162336.html

@Pidesco, he's quoting Khuilostan state media. Decide for yourself how much do you want to trust it. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Sure, it's going to f stuff up hard in the future. I'm already expecting increased energy prices. That said, the current events also affect me personally in at least 2 ways: First of course the money, because I will have to pay more for certain work to get done, and second, one of the people I am working with had to leave his home, but didn't manage to get out of the Ukraine and is now drafted into the defense forces. Don't know how it's going to continue from here, but everything sucks hard right now.

Add to that  the economic burden on all of our countries due to  the global interest rate increases due to the end of lockdowns and Putins War becomes even more unpalatable 

I enjoyed your new Chancellors speech yesterday, he made a lot of sense 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Where have you seen this? I'm trying and failing to find this being reported.

Officially claimed by Russian MoD I believe.
Chances are it is about as reliable as the Ukrainian one. 

Edited by pmp10

1 minute ago, pmp10 said:

Officially claimed by Russian MoD I believe.
Chances are it is about as reliable as the Ukrainian one. 

I actually found it just 5 minutes ago. Thanks, though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well I have feeling that Ukraine air force is operating from poland airports anyway...

What I am scared of is that Russia really might be getting ass kicked, what would that do with Putin? That is the scary part. Will his generals let him push that big red button?

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

8 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

Well I have feeling that Ukraine air force is operating from poland airports anyway...

What I am scared of is that Russia really might be getting ass kicked, what would that do with Putin? That is the scary part. Will his generals let him push that big red button?

The threat and reality of  a nuclear war is always something to be concerned about. I do think its highly unlikely because it never happened in the 50 years of the Cold War due to Mutually Assured Destruction and in those days you also had mentally unhinged people like Putin in both the West and East but they werent that irrational to doom their countries  and or the world to nuclear holocaust so its unlikely it will happen now 

John Milton 

1 hour ago, Pidesco said:

In any case, if true, even just the fact that Russia has taken this long to achieve air superiority seems laughable to me.

....AA equipment is still a thing, a gift from the West.  I'm actually amazed they were able to neutralize it so quickly.

Economically, Russia has all they need to be self-sufficient and do not need SWIFT.  It is CHIPS that is significant - the international bank clearing house. If Russia don't get paid, they shut off natgas and oil exports. They could demand gold.

On the U.S. domestic front, many are predicting a very hot summer, and by hot I don't mean temperature, but culture clashes.  The mood is just ripe for combat.

@Chilloutman Putin has never lost a war and Ukie will be no different

Spoiler

KiDJ0k1.jpg

Rough sketch of the situation as of yesterday.  They're being encircled and it's SO LAUGHABLY WW2.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

What I am scared of is that Russia really might be getting ass kicked, what would that do with Putin? 

He would escalate but there is plenty of non-nuclear options at his disposal.
From cyber-attacks to turning off that gas-flow, we are a really long way from anything nuclear happening.

And if the Russian troops are really held back they will unfortunately dispense with rules of engagement they were following so far.

• Like 1

He is winning right now, but I don't think he is stupid enough to expect to be able to win an attrition war against the endless waves of russian soldiers.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

3 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

O'rly?  You get news from British sources or something?

Last 24h Russians destroyed:

8 air defense systems: Buk M-1, S-300

3 radio positions with P-14 stations

4 combat aircraft struck on the ground and 1 combat aircraft was shot down in the air.

In total: 1114 military infrastructure destroyed, 314 tanks, 57 MLRS, 31 command posts, 121 artillery and mortar pieces.

And here is a perfect metaphor to the current Russian mindset:

Reveal hidden contents

I haven't seen the Russian sources release any official numbers so your source seems to be just as reliable as mine. 

But judging by the fact that western countries are supplying Ukraine with whatever they can, pretty much guarantees a horrible defeat for Russia. This was a very well layed trap by western powers and the bear fell right into it. 

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

42 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

Zelensky: “Prisoners with military experience and who want to fight Russians will be released."

The words of someone who is obviously winning.

Suuure, or he's thinking ahead, if he can free up prison wardens and get volounteers at the same time it's a win/win.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

The websites of Moskovsky Komsomolets, Forbes, Takie Dela, RBC, Peopletalk and many others, as well as the websites of Sberbank, VTB, Tinkoff, Pravo.ru are not working. Today, the websites of TASS, Kommersant, Fontanka and Izvestia, RBC, Buro 24/ 7, Chalk and E1 were hacked.

source: Telegram post

Ukrainian Defense Ministry: Russian soldiers surrendered to the Ukrainian army near the southeastern city of Zaporizhia

Source: Al Jazeera

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

This video is making the rounds right now. Just watched it and I think it's pretty good at explaining why russia is doing what they do and I think seeing it from this side, I even agree with russias perspective. However, as usual, the issue is ... complicated. We know that life under russian rulership isn't necessarily great. There's a crapton examples of that to be found.. so I totally get why people don't want this. Guess the tl;dr is ... if russia would stop being such a corrupt duck that only serves the very rich, the whole situation could look quite different now and *maybe* more people would like to join them instead of the NATO.

I want to blame the west for this crap situation as well, because let's be honest, we love selling weapons and fire up conflicts wherever isn't our home, but ... again ... if russia would have been less of a duck, maybe the situation could look different? After all.. there is a reason why the ukraine population (and the other countries surrounding russia) don't want to join CSTO and look at NATO instead.

It's a competition, and for me, imagining myself on the side of russia is economically simply not attractive enough.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lexx said:

This video is making the rounds right now. Just watched it and I think it's pretty good at explaining why russia is doing what they do and I think seeing it from this side, I even agree with russias perspective. However, as usual, the issue is ... complicated. We know that life under russian rulership isn't necessarily great. There's a crapton examples of that to be found.. so I totally get why people don't want this. Guess the tl;dr is ... if russia would stop being such a corrupt duck that only serves the very rich, the whole situation could look quite different now and *maybe* more people would like to join them instead of the NATO.

I want to blame the west for this crap situation as well, because let's be honest, we love selling weapons and fire up conflicts wherever isn't our home, but ... again ... if russia would have been less of a duck, maybe the situation could look different? After all.. there is a reason why the ukraine population (and the other countries surrounding russia) don't want to join CSTO and look at NATO instead.

Have you ever asked yourself why the majority of countries that use to be ex-Soviet states couldnt wait to join the EU and NATO? If Russia offered an better way of life sovereign countries like Ukraine would join them like you said

Western countries are not just about selling weapons and causing wars, they offer a better quality of life and that works for most people who have lived under the Soviet rule or who look at Putins idea of resurrecting the old borders of the Russian empire and they reject it

People outside what you have always known your whole life generally dont think badly of the idea of Western ideology 

• Like 1

John Milton 

You just have to look at the russian population and how they stand economically, and then look at Putins palace in contrast. I don't think russia will get better unless this kinda stuff changes.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I want to blame the west for this crap situation as well, because let's be honest, we love selling weapons and fire up conflicts wherever isn't our home, but ... again ... if russia would have been less of a duck, maybe the situation could look different? After all.. there is a reason why the ukraine population didn't want to join russia and looked at NATO instead.

so this time its russia who is fighting for the oil. Well at least its not USA :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

33 minutes ago, Lexx said:

You just have to look at the russian population and how they stand economically, and then look at Putins palace in contrast. I don't think russia will get better unless this kinda stuff changes.

This is true.

They leave their own country and fly to Serbia for a dose of Pfiser vaccine. Why? They don't trust the Sputnik vaccine or their own government for that matter.

• Like 2

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Interesting part to share:

"" "" 

Overall, the Russian military is performing extremely poorly: they still don’t have air superiority due to Ukraine moving its air defences around, and Russian missile strikes having only hit old, static targets. Russia’s attempts to rapidly seize Kyiv while minimising losses to Ukrainian civilians and its infrastructure are resulting in massive losses on their side. According to the Ukrainians, as of Sunday Kyiv claimed to have taken out: 540 IFVs, 16 airplanes, 18 helicopters, 102 tanks, 504 APCs, 1 Buk-1 system, 20 armoured cars, and 5,000 soldiers. The latter is a third of the total losses suffered in the entire Soviet-Afghan war (1979-89).

• Like 1