ranDom vIdeO game news

majestic

whities don't have culture, its a fact :)

• Haha 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

13 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

whities don't have culture, its a fact :)

I agree, especially when their is no such thing as " white " people because thats just a collective\general  term. We come from different ethnic groups, live in different countries, have different histories and different ideological views

For example Im Anglo-Saxon and my ancestors were colonialists who settled in Africa but I dont have the same culture or history as " white " people in Norway or Sweden or America. We very different in many ways both culturally and historically

But its much easier to say white people  because it becomes complicated to be specific and its not necessary when describing most things

Its the same thing as "black " people to describe all black people. In SA we say " black " people but the truth is black people come from different tribes and have different histories and live different realities. And they not all the same. So we just say black people because its easier when making  certain points. Its a collective\general  term 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Its the same thing as "black " people to describe all black people. In SA we say " black " people but the truth is black people come from different tribes and have different histories and live different realities. And they not all the same. So we just say black people because its easier when making  certain points. Its a collective\general  term 

Genetically, btw, as most of you probably know already, Africans in general and some "black people" in particular (pygmies and bushmen, especially), are extraordinarily diverse. To exaggerate it slightly, we might almost say that there is more genetic diversity in an African village than in the whole of Iceland -- or the whole of China.

The rule of thumb is that there's most genetic diversity in Africa, especially eastern Africa, and the longer the walking distance from there to any other place on the historical globe (pre-1700s, or something), the less diverse the population in that place is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Genetically, btw, as most of you probably know already, Africans in general and some "black people" in particular (pygmies and bushmen, especially), are extraordinarily diverse. To exaggerate it slightly, we might almost say that there is more genetic diversity in an African village than in the whole of Iceland -- or the whole of China.

The rule of thumb is that there's most genetic diversity in Africa, especially eastern Africa, and the longer the walking distance from there to any other place on the historical globe (pre-1700s, or something), the less diverse the population in that place is.

Absolutely, thats really my point and it applies to all ethnic\racial groups in the world

But we still tend to say " white or black" because its simpler but sometimes this is used inaccurately in a generalized pejorative way 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm all for diversity, but it shouldn't be pushed onto media via a metric that's tantamount to a quota. I feel like artist(s) having to go through a checklist and check off a certain number of boxes is not a healthy artistic process. The idea should come first and whatever diversity checkboxes it checks off is what it checks off. Sometimes that produces a game running the gamut of genders, ethnicities, etc. Sometimes that produces a game that's almost exclusively heterosexual 24 year old white guys with crew cuts and 5 o'clock shadow. Promoting a company culture that entices and welcomes artists of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, religions, and ethnicities is the way to organically produce diverse games, but that's more difficult for a company and takes time, so you don't get the instant results that said company can flaunt.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Huh, I never thought of it like that but it makes sense.

simple thing is the excutive will be diverse long after the product target diverse audience

so if some department doesn't feed excutive a simple chart or something today

excutive will be much less likely to be diverse 20 years later

On 5/12/2022 at 9:50 AM, melkathi said:

Just to defend my forum cred:

I challenge you with being the one to have created the original version of this thread >.> Back when Infinity Ward split for Modern Warfare 2

On 5/14/2022 at 12:55 PM, Hurlsnot said:

Kinda racist but also just kinda lazy. Why bother with a well-developed character, just check some diversity boxes and class it a day? :rolleyes:

I mean, it worked for Netflix didn't it? I mean I realize that there needs to be something like this at a certain level otherwise you get flack from different corners for not including certain race/creeds/genders/etc.  If nothing else at least it acts as a basic "we ain't doin all white dudes again are we?"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

2 hours ago, Calax said:

"we ain't doin all white dudes again are we?"

That's what she said.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 5/15/2022 at 9:20 AM, Lexx said:

Because it gives points to characters based on racial stereotypes. Also it's stupid. Like, how the hell do you rate "culture"? Does the space viking guy not have "culture"? Who has "culture"? Native americans with feather headgear?

Just a natural progression of modern management, everything's metrics.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hitman47101 delivering the good once again: 

Could kill to see Lucas "The Rifleman" McCain firing animations for lever-actions:

• Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 5/16/2022 at 1:21 AM, Gfted1 said:

Huh, I never thought of it like that but it makes sense.

Wrong thread for this, but in case you're interested, you might want to check Oded Galor's brand new book The Journey of Humanity: The Origins of Wealth and Inequality. It delves deeper into this and other questions and is, in my view, recommended reading.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

Don't buy it yet. It's a 30 bucks barely-tech-demo. Maybe it will be better in year, who knows. For now it isn't even close to what Arma 3 is.

• Thanks 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

VGHF finds and interviews the woman who programmed the ATARI VCS game WABBIT for short lived, Texas based game company Apollo Games, and who later worked for MicroGraphic Image on an port of Solar Fox that never got released.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 5/13/2022 at 12:15 AM, Wormerine said:

I mean its Arcane. Nothing they pitched so far appeals to me, though. After Deathloop I am a bit more sceptical.

I just want Prey 2. Instead they turned that "meh" DLC concept for Prey into an entire game :( (that would be Deathloop, for the heathens among you that haven't played Prey)

• Gasp! 1

29 minutes ago, marelooke said:

Instead they turned that "meh" DLC concept for Prey into an entire game :( (that would be Deathloop, for the heathens among you that haven't played Prey)

You kiddin me? Mooncrash was brilliant. I wish Deathloop was half as good. Apparently Deathloop wasn't based on Mooncrash but yeah, it's difficult not to compare the two. Prey was easily my fav in recent Arcane catalogue, though I am generally interested in any singleplayer immersive sim...  Multiplayer system driven game has potential - I found multiplayer to be the only remotely interesting thing about Deathloop - though good luck creating game that can handle it. Arcane titles always feel like they are barely holding together as it is.

7 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

You kiddin me? Mooncrash was brilliant. I wish Deathloop was half as good. Apparently Deathloop wasn't based on Mooncrash but yeah, it's difficult not to compare the two. Prey was easily my fav in recent Arcane catalogue, though I am generally interested in any singleplayer immersive sim...  Multiplayer system driven game has potential - I found multiplayer to be the only remotely interesting thing about Deathloop - though good luck creating game that can handle it. Arcane titles always feel like they are barely holding together as it is.

Dunno, maybe I should give Mooncrash another chance, but when I tried it the gameplay loop didn't hook me and there seemed to be very little story there to keep me going.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1