The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

Since the year is almost over, what's everybody's favorite movie of 2021? 

Mine is Malignant. I wrote about it at length before, but this was one of my favorite horror comedies since Army of Darkness (though I'm still not sure if it was intentionally a horror comedy). There are 2 acts of mediocre and somewhat boring horror to get through before the movie goes off the rails in the best way possible in the glorious and absolutely bat**** insane 3rd act.

I have tickets to see Macbeth and Licorice Pizza on Saturday, so I reserve the right to change my answer. As of right now, I think my favorite was The Green Knight

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I went and tried to find a list of 2021 movies that I watched in 2021, and I've put them in (approximate) rank order

Spider-Man: No Way Home
Promising Young Woman
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
The Map of Tiny Perfect Things
Cruella
Raya and the Last Dragon
The Mitchells vs The Machines
Jungle Cruise
Luca
Needle in a Timestack
Free Guy
Ron's Gone Wrong
Space Sweepers
Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas
Black Widow
The Tomorrow War
Army of the Dead
Muppets Haunted Mansion
Vacation Friends
Nobody
Boss Level
Christmas... Again?
Thunder Force

A couple things about this list: Spider-Man No Way Home and Promising Young Woman occupy, for me, a joint first place, where I kinda think PYW is the better movie, but I enjoyed SMNWH more and am way more likely to want to rewatch it. From there down to, ooooh let's say Mitchells vs the Machines, are extremely good movies imo. Jungle Cruise down to Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas, still really good and entertaining. Black Widow down to Christmas Again are reasonably entertaining but probs had some element I wasn't massively into or think could've been done better.

Thunder Force was pretty bad.

There's probs room for a bit of rearrangement in a lot of those sections, but the top two and the bottom one are definitely fixed in place.

Also I'm definitely going to watch at least one more film this year, Encanto.

These were mostly watched on streaming services BTW.

EDIT: Forgot about Home Sweet Home Alone. Equalish last place, which makes for some pleasing symmetry.

Edited by Chairchucker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Since the year is almost over, what's everybody's favorite movie of 2021? 

THE GREEN KNIGHT for me. Visually arresting and a solid adaption of the source material, imo.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

6 hours ago, Achilles said:

Did you see Stranger Than Fiction? It would be unfair to call it anything other than an odd movie, but it is a departure from his usual shtick

Think Jim Carrey vs Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and you get the idea.

if were punch drunk love adam sandler, we might give it a shot. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps we checked and jon brion did not score stranger than fiction. thought perhaps there might be some curious rule that when big name comedians tried their hand at dramatic roles, brion were called in to do the music, but alas...

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I’m really trying… but I don’t remember watching a single movie released in 2021 😔

edit: nor 2020 for that matter. Mostly stuff bought on dvd. Deadpool and Valerian being the last two I bought. A bit behind the times 🤔

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

7 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I’m really trying… but I don’t remember watching a single movie released in 2021 😔

congrats to you for not having seen dune or shang-chi. is at least prima facia evidence you is not paying disney or hbo for the privilege o' having your wallet plundered monthly.  should be applauded for such.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

16 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

congrats to you for not having seen dune or shang-chi. is at least prima facia evidence you is not paying disney or hbo for the privilege o' having your wallet plundered monthly.  should be applauded for such.  

HA! Good Fun!

Plundering my wallet on a monthly basis is reserved for the local Red Cross (https://www.redcross.org.au/) and Foodbank QLD (https://www.foodbank.org.au/QLD/the-foodbank-queensland-team/?state=qld), both of which needs all the help they can get up to the Christmas Holidays :(

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

When they make a movie about my life I think I want to be played by Jonathan Majors.

esai morales is the obvious choice for Gromnir. we have a bit less grey hair, but otherwise is visually kinda close.

*sigh*

that said, am thinking patton oswalt is the more appropriate choice. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

Yeah, me and Jonathan Majors look nothing alike but I just watched The Harder They Fall and he killed it. It's my vote for best western of the year and just about as realistic as most westerns, not at all.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

^ I guess I did see Army of the Dead, which had one of those barely-there theater releases just to say it did. I also saw Space Sweepers but I think that was only a streaming release (in the US and many other places I think) so I wasn't counting it. It's getting where you can't tell what's a "movie" in terms of year-end tallies anymore. I saw some terrible straight to Netflix Xmas/romance movie too, does that count?

I just had a thought tho ... since I'm not seeing all these "big" movies anymore, in another 8-10 years I can start a "Grumpy Old Woman Who Hates Most Movies, Movie Reaction" YouTube channel and watch all these popular films that kids will ask me why I've never seen yet.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

^ I guess I did see Army of the Dead, which had one of those barely-there theater releases just to say it did. I also saw Space Sweepers but I think that was only a streaming release (in the US and many other places I think) so I wasn't counting it. It's getting where you can't tell what's a "movie" in terms of year-end tallies anymore. I saw some terrible straight to Netflix Xmas/romance movie too, does that count?

Yeah, I mostly saw mine on streaming services, and frankly at the moment that just seems like a sensible decision. You can count what you want imo, it's your list.

10 hours ago, Gromnir said:

if were punch drunk love adam sandler, we might give it a shot. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps we checked and jon brion did not score stranger than fiction. thought perhaps there might be some curious rule that when big name comedians tried their hand at dramatic roles, brion were called in to do the music, but alas...

Thought about using Sandler/PDL as a reference, but it decided that it was more of a conventional film and didn't want to be accused of pulling a bait and switch if Stranger Than Fiction ended up being too weird for you.

If PDL is more your speed, then the Will Ferrell movie you should try is Everything Must Go

• Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Watched the new Matrix.

Mildly entertaining, hugely meta. Is a sequel while snarking on sequels. Makes a few interesting points on 'what happens after the hero wins and goes off into the sunset'. Has a few poignant moments. No really clear standout action sequences. Most of them are messy hordes of people ones where the detail and focus gets lost.  Somehow slides into that enjoyable but sort of forgettable popcorn variety of film, while still being sort of intelligent story. But, mostly well done for all that.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Time Bandits with my nieces. It was just an endless chorus of "WHAT IS HAPPENING"s approximately every thirty to sixty seconds...which to be fair, sometimes I didn't know either, so I can't exactly blame them. They said they liked it but it made no sense...which I can live with just fine. I also forgot about the part where the minotaur gets his head ripped off - they weren't too keen on that part, but I guess it was silly enough because they at least didn't get scared like they usually do for anything even slightly intense. I didn't remember that Ian Holme, Shelley Duvall, Sean Connery, and Jim Broadbent were all in this, so it was weird having them pop into the movie randomly - I started to question my sanity that all of them could somehow be in this movie and I had forgotten them all.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The Tragedy of Macbeth was well done but not amazing.

Licorice Pizza was good, but a lot longer than it needed to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsider_(2018_film)

This is a MUST watch for those who enjoy movies about Japan and specifically the Yakuza

Its set after WW2 and all about a ex US marine who becomes part of a  Yakuza family, I have no idea why it received such bad reviews because its brilliant 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela