Hi everyone

Sarex

7 hours ago, Humanoid said:

People yammering on about Persona 5 was one of the reasons I gave PS4 a chance in the first place (my first and only Sony console thus far). I gave it three attempts in 2-3 years but never got out of the first dungeon.

I think in the end my most-played title on it was Pro Evolution Soccer, which I could have played on any other platform. 😕

I love persona but I use a guide, it's the only game I use a guide for, because the first one I played I got like 3/4 through the game and had to start over because I messed up being social... quite like real life, except I can't restart real life with a guide... sadly

My first console was a Nintendo 64. I think my first game was Ocarina of Time or Super Smash Brothers. But it's been a long time.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Can't name my first game, it'd have been one of the random games on the family PC. Most likely it'd have been one of Space Invaders (or a clone), Alley Cat, Pitstop 2, or Winter Games. The PC gaming habit didn't really go past that at the time as we got a NES thereafter, though I remember regularly watching my cousin play some SSI Gold Box games.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Hi Sarex, I'm majestic, and the first game I remember playing was a bootlegged Pitfall on an Atari 2600 clone. Might have been the first one, or one of the other games on the clone.

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

Had Populous 2, not only would that cause my 386 to hard lock maybe 40% of the time, I had no manual so no clue what I was doing.

That was Eye of the Beholder 2 for me. No manual, no idea what's going on, not any real clue of English yet. Still, was fun to play. Even more fun to finally find out how to use weapons. Seems silly now, but the idea of right-clicking on the weapon icon under your character didn't so quickly come to mind at the time.

I do have a Playstation 4, a friend of mine gave me his old one when he got a Pro. The only thing I've used it for so far is to watch various streaming services on my bedroom TV. Which a Chromecast or something similar would have done without sounding like a vacuum cleaner or producing more heat than my actual heating radiators.

Eh, and did anyone catch the first post before it was disappeared by the men in unmarked vans? What was going on with the poster? :p

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I had an uncle who had a PC, and not counting C64 games, those were the first PC games I ever played.

Which would make Duke Nukem (1991), Wolfenstein 3D (1992) and I think MS Flight Similator 4.0 based on the age of the first two the first true PC games I played.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

13 minutes ago, majestic said:

Eh, and did anyone catch the first post before it was disappeared by the men in unmarked vans? What was going on with the poster? :p

He wanted recommendations for PS4 (or 5) games I think. Nothing really out of the ordinary from that one post.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

45 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

He wanted recommendations for PS4 (or 5) games I think. Nothing really out of the ordinary from that one post.

Based on Gorth being aware of the situation and having to explain what happened, I can only assume it was a bot or some other similar kind of situation that the staff took care of. Maybe their profile information had spam links, or they tried PMing someone something, or the original post put a link in the punctuation, or something like that - seen those happen before with otherwise innocuous posters.

I don't remember exactly what my first game was, but it was something in between Age of Empires, Diablo, Super Mario 64, and Ocarina of Time. I remember in my town/school district/whatever, kindergarten was only every other day, so I'd home sitting on the PC all day trying to figure how in the hell to play Age of Empires and have fun with some of the early campaign scenarios (the simpler ones that don't have the full AI enabled). Those are my earliest memories of gaming, so maybe that's actually it, but I can't say for sure that it was actually was, especially since we also had a SNES and I have *very* vague memories of playing...MAYBE Donkey Kong Country 2 before that, but like I said, I can't say for sure.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Now that I think about it, my aunt also had a laptop around that time and let me play Diablo 1 on it before we had it (at an extremely fundamentalist evangelical church that would have considered it literally satanic!*), so it's also possible that that could be it as well - I really don't remember for certain!

*And now that I'm thinking even more about it, it's a good thing nobody else knew, because that church, which was my grandfather's, was seriously wacko and it could've been a whole major ordeal for the entire family if the rest of the congregation had found out that the pastor's daughter was having a literal ~5 year-old playing freaking Diablo in their church. ...I mean, maybe not as bad as if they'd known my mom was a turbo-D&D nerd and was running a D&D group and was even on some of those early D&D web forums at around same time back then, but still. They say that the sins of the [mother] don't pass on to the child, but I think my mom and I are living proof that that was a lie...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

The great thing about Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 2 is that they hold up, even today. Rare really did a fantastic job creating a perfectly fluid and smooth gameplay experience that was fun to play and looked really impressive for the time. Some of my most favorite Christmas memories. I got the games for Christmas, and was finished with them by New Year's, where we met at my grandmother's place for a family outing. My cousin and I would beat King K-Rool around. Good old times. 

The third one was a bit of a letdown though.

29 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Based on Gorth being aware of the situation and having to explain what happened, I can only assume it was a bot or some other similar kind of situation that the staff took care of. Maybe their profile information had spam links, or they tried PMing someone something, or the original post put a link in the punctuation, or something like that - seen those happen before with otherwise innocuous posters.

Yeah, every now and then a bot makes it through, and even rarer still some posters feel like a spam bot but in reality aren't. I'm still not so sure SonicMage117 wasn't the result of an advanced posting bot / troll machine learning experiment.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 minutes ago, majestic said:

The great thing about Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 2 is that they hold up, even today. Rare really did a fantastic job creating a perfectly fluid and smooth gameplay experience that was fun to play and looked really impressive for the time. Some of my most favorite Christmas memories. I got the games for Christmas, and was finished with them by New Year's, where we met at my grandmother's place for a family outing. My cousin and I would beat King K-Rool around. Good old times. 

I like the first one, and I love the second one, but the third one I didn't realize how surprisingly mediocre it was until I re-visited and played all of them through probably 4-5 years ago now. Even the music is pretty bleh, which is a little shocking for Rare at that time.

OH CRAP, speaking of Rare, I forgot about Banjo-freaking-Kazooie - that was also one of those very early games for me. Another one that also holds up pretty danged well, too, although early 3D controls do usually leave a little to be desired in comparison to late 2D controls like DKC.

Do not speak of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named - you may well summon back that utterly vile and vacuous character by saying his name, :no:.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, majestic said:

Yeah, every now and then a bot makes it through, and even rarer still some posters feel like a spam bot but in reality aren't. I'm still not so sure SonicMage117 wasn't the result of an advanced posting bot / troll machine learning experiment.

SonicMage117 was the work of SERN trying to flush out Hououin Kyouma.

• Gasp! 2

1 hour ago, majestic said:

What was going on with the poster?

He posted the truth about the COVID vaccines

• Haha 4
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

OH CRAP, speaking of Rare, I forgot about Banjo-freaking-Kazooie - that was also one of those very early games for me. Another one that also holds up pretty danged well, too, although early 3D controls do usually leave a little to be desired in comparison to late 2D controls like DKC.

Banjo-Kazooie was great, though I remember being stuck on some level with a whale or mechanical fish that you had to enter. Kind of like the third kid dungeon in Ocarina of Time.

My first PC game was NWN, which in retrospect was not great. But I had just started playing D&D with my friends and that was the video game equivalent at the time. I had no idea what the **** I was doing and rolled a Fighter/Rogue/Divine Champion that went twf. I ran into a bug where my follower fell prone and couldn't get up lmao.

1 minute ago, Malcador said:

He posted the truth about the COVID vaccines

That's absurd. Just because Microsoft owns the forum now doe.......ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL. YOU WILL ACCEPT YOUR GENETIC DESTINY. 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Banjo-Kazooie was great, though I remember being stuck on some level with a whale or mechanical fish that you had to enter. Kind of like the third kid dungeon in Ocarina of Time.

My first PC game was NWN, which in retrospect was not great. But I had just started playing D&D with my friends and that was the video game equivalent at the time. I had no idea what the **** I was doing and rolled a Fighter/Rogue/Divine Champion that went twf. I ran into a bug where my follower fell prone and couldn't get up lmao.

Clanker's Cavern. IIRC, you can enter him through...oh, yeah, that's right, you have to swim down to the very bottom of the entire cavern and rotate the gigantic key in the padlock around a few times before he's able to rise to the top first, THEN you can enter through either his teeth or his blowhole...and maybe even his gills? Or maybe you can only exit through his gills? ...Do whales even have gills? They can't, they're mammals...

I didn't play NWN until after Baldur's Gate, and boy, was THAT a rude awakening. Ye gods, even back then, that was a difficult transition to make - game controlled, looked, and sounded like garbage. Some fun fan-made online modules, though - I was friends with someone with DM privileges on some big, fairly populated LotR one, and I remember that being a heck of a lot of fun. I think my first NWN character in the OC (which I actually did finish as well as Shadows of Undrentide but not Hordes of the Underdark) was actually an extremely boring fighter that I prestige class-ed into an equally boring Weapon Master (...well, once Shadows of Undrentide came out anyways). Better than playing a freaking bard at least, I suppose...

• Hmmm 1

Hi Sarex...

Does the cartridge games for Commodore 64 count as "console games"? If so, the first game I owned was Commodore's International Soccer (that's heathen speak for football). If not... then I've never owned a console or the games that comes with it. Racial purity indeed 😛

I was also a latecomer to PC gaming, hanging on to my Amiga 4000 until Fallout came out, which together with the original Tombraider made me switch platform (Neither ran properly on the PC emulator)

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If C64 games count, I remember loading games from tape. Slow process.

Dunno which was first, I remember Spy vs Spy, Bruce Lee and Phantasie. But my first C64 game I bought was Datasoft's Black Magic.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

30 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Clanker's Cavern. IIRC, you can enter him through...oh, yeah, that's right, you have to swim down to the very bottom of the entire cavern and rotate the gigantic key in the padlock around a few times before he's able to rise to the top first, THEN you can enter through either his teeth or his blowhole...and maybe even his gills? Or maybe you can only exit through his gills? ...Do whales even have gills? They can't, they're mammals...

I think it was his gills. I dunno, I recall a couple of aquatic levels in that game and I'm thinking of one that was really industrial. It's been almost two decades since I played it so I don't remember. 

32 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I didn't play NWN until after Baldur's Gate, and boy, was THAT a rude awakening. Ye gods, even back then, that was a difficult transition to make - game controlled, looked, and sounded like garbage. Some fun fan-made online modules, though - I was friends with someone with DM privileges on some big, fairly populated LotR one, and I remember that being a heck of a lot of fun. I think my first NWN character in the OC (which I actually did finish as well as Shadows of Undrentide but not Hordes of the Underdark) was actually an extremely boring fighter that I prestige class-ed into an equally boring Weapon Master (...well, once Shadows of Undrentide came out anyways). Better than playing a freaking bard at least, I suppose...

I have never played Baldur's Gate 1, I only played it with the EE or BGT. And only that past 2012, so I don't have the reference to compare it to the successor D&D games.

NWN was rough. Tons of stuff was undocumented and just didn't match the 3.5 system I was used to in PnP. Still though it was a lot of fun for young me to play and I have fond memories of it. I tried to go back after playing BG and just said **** it, the game has aged horribly and has a dumb story even by rpg standards lmao. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future, but I'll probably have the same reaction.

• Like 1

I only tried BG1 after BG2, and I got a couple screens out of Candlekeep before I got bored and abandoned ship. And I didn't even hate party-based RPGs back then!

At a guess I probably got somewhere between a third and halfway through NWN, but I remember absolutely none of it. I even bought the expansions because everyone said it was much improved but I don't think I even started either of them.

The crazy thing perhaps is that the only NWN game I properly played was SoZ, where I quit after I cleared the path to the final location, so like 95-99% through (depending if it would have been a final dungeon or just one boss fight). That's a weird habit of mine though, and one I've retained: this year alone I've stopped my Cyberpunk playthrough, an XCOM Long War campaign and a vanilla JA2 campaign all at about 99% done. And the latter I've never even completed officially before. But I just cleared up the palace map and just needed to assault the bunker but couldn't be bothered.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

1 hour ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I think it was his gills. I dunno, I recall a couple of aquatic levels in that game and I'm thinking of one that was really industrial. It's been almost two decades since I played it so I don't remember.

I think the other two aquatic levels are Rusty Bucket Bay and...Jolly Roger's Lagoon is the second game, so not that...oh, the beach one. Treasure Trove Cove, I had to look it up, though the name seems obvious in retrospect.

1 hour ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

NWN was rough. Tons of stuff was undocumented and just didn't match the 3.5 system I was used to in PnP. Still though it was a lot of fun for young me to play and I have fond memories of it. I tried to go back after playing BG and just said **** it, the game has aged horribly and has a dumb story even by rpg standards lmao. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future, but I'll probably have the same reaction.

I tried to go back and play it...two or three years ago now? I got through act 1 of the OC and I literally felt like I was going to stop existing if I kept playing. I thought maybe the second act, Port Saiid, would be better, but then it was just a bunch of wilderness areas that all looked the same and...I closed the game intending to continue at some point, but I could never muster up the willpower to do so. The story and general writing, characters, gameplay, aesthetic, controls, voice-acting...everything's pretty lacking, to say the least, at best. I had some fond but also some not so fond memories as well...

1. I remember there being some succubus that's magically imprisoned that you can decide to kill or free in order to progress through an area, and if you decide to free her, she... Well, this isn't P:ST, she "betrays" you after freeing her in the most painfully obvious and stupid manner possible. I didn't get to that part in my attempt to replay the game, so I only have ancient memories of it, but even as a kid, I remember that being incredibly stupid writing, especially given that she dies in like two hits.
  2. That stupid freaking kobold.
  3. Stupid Aribeth. I didn't know this until the last few years (in fact, I think learning this is what inspired me to try to re-play the game), but you can apparently save Aribeth if you're one of the talky classes like a rogue or bard...and then she's executed by Lord Nasher right after anyways, lmao.
  4. Who the hell were the main villains of the OC? All I remember is...mage lizardmen? Why do I remember lizardmen? Is that even real?
  5. Endless tunnels and and combat going ever-deeper in some sort of pit that wouldn't ever end in Shadows of Undrentide.
  6. Saving and reloading over and over for randomized high-end gear in certain containers...
  7. Having to fight three dragons at once at some point, but dragons aren't as scary in NWN as they were in BG, like not even close?
  8. Probably other stuff I can't remember right now...I have a number of ancient memories of that game.
1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

I only tried BG1 after BG2, and I got a couple screens out of Candlekeep before I got bored and abandoned ship. And I didn't even hate party-based RPGs back then!

At a guess I probably got somewhere between a third and halfway through NWN, but I remember absolutely none of it. I even bought the expansions because everyone said it was much improved but I don't think I even started either of them.

The crazy thing perhaps is that the only NWN game I properly played was SoZ, where I quit after I cleared the path to the final location, so like 95-99% through (depending if it would have been a final dungeon or just one boss fight). That's a weird habit of mine though, and one I've retained: this year alone I've stopped my Cyberpunk playthrough, an XCOM Long War campaign and a vanilla JA2 campaign all at about 99% done. And the latter I've never even completed officially before. But I just cleared up the palace map and just needed to assault the bunker but couldn't be bothered.

Usually, if you've done everything else, the finales of stat-based games are pretty lame anyways, since they have to allow for a wide range of character power to be able to complete them. I wasn't able to get very far in SoZ, it felt too strange and kind of unfocused to me - like everyone else, I liked MotB a lot more.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

55 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I think the other two aquatic levels are Rusty Bucket Bay

I think that was it. Brings back some memoires.

I tried to go back and play it...two or three years ago now?

I think I remember you posting about using cheat engine to make it go faster or something actually lmao.

That stupid freaking kobold.

Y do u hate bards?

Stupid Aribeth. I didn't know this until the last few years (in fact, I think learning this is what inspired me to try to re-play the game), but you can apparently save Aribeth if you're one of the talky classes like a rogue or bard...and then she's executed by Lord Nasher right after anyways, lmao.

That's hilarious, then you can recruit her as a ghost in hell.

Who the hell were the main villains of the OC? All I remember is...mage lizardmen? Why do I remember lizardmen? Is that even real?

IIRC, some fake priests were serving an ancient lizard mage or some ****. It was dumb.

Having to fight three dragons at once at some point, but dragons aren't as scary in NWN as they were in BG, like not even close?

They had a fear aura in NWN that would make your character run away if you didn't pass a will save. So in a way they were scarier. But not nearly as memorable.

NWN did have the most memorable dragon fight in a RPG though, because you fight a Lich dragon. Guarded by a gang of vampires. 

Edited by KP the meanie zucchini
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

like everyone else, I liked MotB a lot more.

As a career rogue, to be thrown into a starting dungeon filled with enemies completely immune to sneak attacks was not an experience I was prepared to suffer and I abandoned the game pretty quick. So in the end, MoTB was a victim of DnD rules for me. But I tried.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G