The All Things Political Topic - As a Bright Lord bears Beacons of flame.

Amentep

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

It's about a young man who normally hangs out with his alt right friends and local white supremacy militia men, who decided that somebody in another state, far away was doing something wrong. So, of course he had to bring his semi automatic rifle, because you know, that protects buildings against graffiti and helps little old ladies cross the road or something. Alternatively, he brought it with the intent to kill people and impress his local militia friends by being a tough guy standing up for "American" values, killing people who are unhappy with the police killing a disproportionate number of unarmed black people. They have to be communists after all. That's what Trump says. So killing them is fair game. Now he's sobbing in court, probably feeling butt hurt and absolutely flabbergasted that he would be charged. After all, the only thing he did was kill un-American dross.

Gorthfuscious you know the  people he killed were white, so its not about racism or white supremacy the reasons for the shooting

Its criminal but not necessarily about race. Also he worked in Wisconsin and apparently had some sort of business interest 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Huh, hat wearing had almost 100% market share in 1918.

Yup.  You don't really start seeing a lot of people going hatless when outdoors in old photos until the mid-to-late 50s.  My understanding is as more modes of transportation and buildings were being climate controlled, it led to hats, scarfs and gloves declining in popularity as functional items, as you weren't spending the majority of your time at the mercy of the outdoor temperature.  I think some hats as business attire and for fashion took longer to winnow away.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Rittenhouse crying on the stand was hilarious, surprised people think he gave a ****.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mayor-pete-pete-buttigieg-jesse-moss-chasten-buttigieg-193015615.html

Here is something positive for this thread. I admit I didn't pay too much attention to Buttigieg during the primaries, but it is a pretty amazing story that an openly gay candidate was able to gain so much traction. We are barely removed from marriage and military service being denied to gay people. It is a big win for civil rights in this country.

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/10/us/kyle-rittenhouse-who-is.html?

For much of his life, Mr. Rittenhouse had tried on identities infused with bravery and service, while exaggerating his accomplishments and eventually dropping out of high school.

He had idolized law enforcement since he was young, joining a cadet program for at-risk youths in his hometown, Antioch, Ill., and later decorating his social media pages with Blue Lives Matter images and praise for former President Donald J. Trump. At the time of the shootings, Mr. Rittenhouse was employed part-time as a lifeguard at a recreational complex in Pleasant Prairie, Wis., which borders Kenosha.
Mr. Rittenhouse testified at his trial on Wednesday that he was studying nursing at Arizona State University.

Jay Thorne, a spokesman for the university, said in an email that Mr. Rittenhouse had enrolled in an online program that allows students to take classes before seeking admission to the university. The online program is not affiliated with the university’s nursing school or any other degree program, he said. The session in which Mr. Rittenhouse is enrolled began on Oct. 13.

His parents were divorced, and he lived with his mother, Wendy, in an apartment in Antioch, a small town in a rural area along the Wisconsin border. But he found a male role model in Dominick Black, the boyfriend of Mr. Rittenhouse’s sister McKenzie. The two young men became so close that they called each other brothers.

Mr. Black was perhaps Mr. Rittenhouse’s strongest tie to Kenosha, and a key enabler of the shootings in August 2020. Mr. Rittenhouse, who at 17 was too young to purchase a firearm legally in Wisconsin, paid Mr. Black to buy him a military-style semiautomatic rifle at an Ace Hardware store in Ladysmith, in rural northern Wisconsin.

The two met with other armed people on the night of the shootings to protect Car Source, a used-car business, where Mr. Rittenhouse carried his weapon and falsely told people in the crowd that he was a trained emergency medical technician.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

8 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

People are having some laugh, that Biden can't keep America together, if he cannot keep his bowels under control. 

That loud fart incident is hilarious and a great summary of his presidency so far. 

Their are several things you can criticize Biden for but I find this whole big deal about him farting to be crass and almost childish

He is nearly 80 and he is the president of the most influential and important country in the world and I would just assume his detractors can do better than making a big deal about  flatulence?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-fw-de-klerk-dead-25433597

Big news for SA, FW De Klerk passed away yesterday. He was the last white president in Apartheid and he played a critical role in ensuring the relatively peaceful end to this failed and immoral system

Without De Klerk we wouldnt have had our 1994 election as he represented the National Party who were running the country at the time and had implemented Apartheid in 1948 and you always need people on both sides of any conflict that are prepared to compromise and negotiate if you want to find a peaceful solution 

So he really mattered even though some people misunderstand what he actually did and why he did it. Was he controversial? Definitely ...but I am very grateful for what he did to contribute towards the new SA 

De Klerk RIP 

• Like 1

John Milton 

20 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

People are having some laugh, that Biden can't keep America together, if he cannot keep his bowels under control. 

That loud fart incident is hilarious and a great summary of his presidency so far. 

Remember, Trump has been recorded farting on multiple occasions. This too shall pass. 💩

• Haha 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

Remember, Trump has been recorded farting on multiple occasions. This too shall pass. 💩

Ohhh Trump has had his share of various Faux Pas... I think that the one with least ones was Obama when lookibg back from Clinton era, and those were related to your typical displays of 'american ignorance'

5 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Ohhh Trump has had his share of various Faux Pas... I think that the one with least ones was Obama when lookibg back from Clinton era, and those were related to your typical displays of 'american ignorance'

Umm, thank you for the mangled sentence?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

2 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Fairly accurate summary of COP26. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/glasgow-climate-summit-ends-tears-failure-and-kicking-can-commitments

Nothing changes, no hard commitments, but there is some bone thrown in for the media, to make it look like there was some agreement signed, so it does not look on the surface like a total failure. 

Well, failure and failure... depends on perspective. One of the largest delegations was the oil and coal industry. I think they might consider it quite successful. The more the world burns, floods experiences droughts and gets swooped away by tornadoes and floods, the better the year for the shareholders.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59199484

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

22 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Well, failure and failure... depends on perspective. One of the largest delegations was the oil and coal industry. I think they might consider it quite successful. The more the world burns, floods experiences droughts and gets swooped away by tornadoes and floods, the better the year for the shareholders.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59199484

It is iconic for this summit, that the delegates created far more carbon footprint than any other such event prior. The irony was much, when they had to install disel powered generators to set up a charging station for some EVs, which would look nice on the road and a parking near the event facilities. 

200.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

11 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

200.gif

Gromnir dont be too concerned with the utterances of any religious extremists, Flynn is just pandering to Christian extremists\conservatives 

You have no idea the number of Islamic extremist speeches  I can post where they discuss " destruction of the West " and how the  " great devil is the US and its Zionist allies " 

Its pure rhetoric and grandstanding. The US like most successful  Democracies recognizes freedom of religion and until that changes you must just ignore people like Flynn and not be worried 

John Milton 

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Gromnir dont be too concerned with the utterances of US Army lieutenant generals, Flynn is just pandering to Christian extremists\conservatives 

fixed.

is not just a rando guy. is not a conservative radio host. is not a televangelist. 

this guy were promoted over and over and over again.  tell us nobody ever noticed his extremist views? is possible he were smart enough to be cagey for decades, but given how erratic he has been in retirement, is hard to imagine that flynn fooled all his superiors in the army.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

31 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Bruce, how many of those Islamic extremist were high level government employees in a place with freedom of religion? Your comparison doesn't hold up.

I didnt realize Flynn was still relevant in the US government? He is the same as any other citizen now who use to be in government and that applies to comments made by any  other type of religious extremist

If he was in government now I would be concerned 

• Confused 1

John Milton 

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

I didnt realize Flynn was still relevant in the US government? He is the same as any other citizen now who use to be in government and that applies to comments made by any  other type of religious extremist

If he was in government now I would be concerned 

You don't need to remain a member of the government to be relevant in politics. Trump isn't president anymore. I dare you to call him irrelevant in US politics.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein