Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

Guys, I need one of these. It's $300 and the waiting list to get it shipped is super long, and there isn't much "point" to it I suppose. But I need one of these.

Edit:  Oh! Oh! And you can get outfits for it. The company only has a couple I think but I hear you can just get tiny cat-hats and use those if you want. I so want one!  😊

robotoutfit1.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Interesting.

Real life prisoners have debunked TIS on several occasions but based on all the Intel I was able to gather it seems Chinese and American prisons both suck but in different ways.

American prisons seem more "gang" orientated, you got your black, hispanic, and white gangs who all kinda run the show in their own gangs on the inside.

Chinese prisons seem more militarized, everyone has to march rank and file and sing government inspired songs and are all basically under the dictatorship of the guards and have no independent sects.  American guards are trained and expected to take some degree of crap from the inmates, not of that is tolerated in Chinese prisons.

At least in American prisons you can get money sent from the outside and buy decent food (prison food sucks if you can't afford the name brands and have no money).  Chinese prisons don't have that and you survive off of rice with turnips and pork fat and two rolled cigarettes a day.

So yeah, everything points to not wanting to go to prison in both of these countries but at least American prisons seem to have more options, I can't say I'd like to be surrounded by that stupid race gang atmosphere though.

I guess Europe wins the award for most humane prisons?  Canadian and Australian prisons aren't as bad as American prisons I also hear.

Four and a half thousand year old board game uncovered and played. I have a fondness for board and card games, so it was a lot of fun to watch.

• Like 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

21 hours ago, Raithe said:

272076266_10159114346153962_713979907641

Oooh.... that was interesting 👍

You can almost imagine how the "pressure cooker" underneath the old collapsed crater is busy boiling water on the second picture 💥

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

17 hours ago, Raithe said:

All about those perspectives...

Or you can be Buster Keaton, do everything for real and still die of old age.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

51 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Or you can be Buster Keaton, do everything for real and still die of old age.

Keaton was great (and I'm sure you're sensing the 'however' coming up), however,

• Keaton employed camera tricks just like Lloyd (there's a forced perspective shot about 0:41 seconds in on the video you link, and a dummy used at about 5:55, for example).
  • Lloyd also did many of his stunts for real (its how he lost part of his hand; so when he's doing the climbing and holding on to the clock as shown in the short "Safety Last", its without a thumb and forefinger on one hand).  Chaplin did as well.  If you go through all three's films, you'll find gags/stunts that were performed live for the camera while others that used some form of 'effect' (forced perspective, wires, undercranking film, etc). 
  • Other comedians didn't do as many big stunts - comedy acts like the Three Stooges or Laurel and Hardy did some of the vaudeville style pratfall stunts but employed doubles or dummys for major stunt work.  That said, they didn't not do those type of stunts. There were stunts like those in the Keaton video done as The Stooges did a number of ceiling drop gags, some 'live' some with dummys, for example.
  • Keaton (70), Lloyd (77) and Chaplin (88) all lived long lives.  As did most of the Stooges (Moe: 77, Larry: 72, Joe Besser: 80; Joe DeRita: 83) and Stan Laurel (74), with Shemp (60), Curly (48), and Oliver Hardy (65) passing younger than Keaton (bonus trivia, Ted Healy the comedian who became the straight man to the Stooges in his stage act and later in film died at 41).
  • Keaton really loved the "safe in the window space from a falling wall" gag. 😄 

I actually can't place the lady with the dancing eyes, but I'm sure I've seen the short before.  If anyone remembers the short, let me know.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yukon High School held their annual Reality Check this week! During the event, freshman students are assigned a random annual income before traveling to booths like housing, clothing, insurance, and child care to make virtual payments from their budget.
Although they must visit every booth, they are empowered to make their own personal decisions. One ninth grader reflected, “I got $35,000 which I thought was really good, but now I’m down to $20 and still have bills...I may have gone a little crazy with the nice truck.” Once they’ve paid their bills, the students who have money leftover receive a KitKat, while those with $0 left in their bank account receive a Zero bar.
“This is an opportunity for the students to gain a deeper understanding of how their parents live on a day-to-day basis. It really puts things in perspective and gives them some real world experience and therefore, a better idea of what to expect in the future” said YHS teacher, Darryl Andrews.
To provide real insight, every booth is hosted by local volunteers from their correlating industries, i.e., auto salesman sell the cars, bank officials run the bank, child care providers discuss child care. The real estate agents working in the housing booth reflected, “We actually learn a lot from the students too! After volunteering for several years at this event, we’ve gotten to see firsthand how the students’ decision-making processes have changed over the years.”

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Keanu Reeves Faces Chinese Backlash Over Tibet Concert (movieweb.com)

It is virtually unheard of for Keanu Reeves to be on the receiving end of complaints from a single person, so the idea of him coming under fire from an entire country seems impossible to comprehend. However, Chinese nationalists have called for a boycott of the recently released The Matrix Resurrections in retaliation for the star being announced in the line-up on the Tibet House U.S. Benefit Concert to be held on March 3rd. Tibet is currently under the control of the People’s Republic of China, and the upcoming concert has led to some unhappy people, according to a report by Taiwan’s Central News Agency.

With many issues over Hollywood movie releases in China recently, including many Marvel films still waiting for a release in the country, a boycott of The Matrix Resurrections and, depending on how far they choose to take it, next year’s John Wick 4, is something that would not be welcome among film studios who are still struggling to see films hit their full potential in theaters.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2253199/china-gives-fight-club-new-ending-where-authorities-win

But the new version in China has a very different take.

The Narrator still proceeds with killing off Durden, but the exploding building scene is replaced with a black screen and a coda: "The police rapidly figured out the whole plan and arrested all criminals, successfully preventing the bomb from exploding".

It then adds that Tyler -- a figment of The Narrator's imagination -- was sent to a "lunatic asylum" for psychological treatment and was later discharged.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra