The What Are You Reading thread (now with a simpler name)

Amentep

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2024 at 12:28 PM, melkathi said:

Raptors build and operate teleporters in Tingle's universe

Finished Chuck Tingle's novel, Camp Damascus. No unicorns or even raptors, which was most disappointing. Some spoilers below:

Spoiler

I liked that an autistic gay protagonist defeated her foes through the power of her memory and chosen family, while her toxic biological material donors were almost never mentioned again after kicking her out. They are not worth one's time and attention, if they do not represent an immediate threat, in which case, ensuring one's safety is a priority.

I didn't like the "zero-kills protagonist" trope where the antagonists are killed indirectly by the forces outside of the protagonist's control, but them surviving is extremely undesirable for the protagonist.

The horror elements were rather mild, considering the protagonist's inquisitive personality and scientific approach. The book mentioned the actual horror directly - the fictional Kingdom of the Pine is not unusual, and it is a reminder why conversion therapy must be banned, regardless of any religion attached.

Overall, it is very well written and I would recommend the book, though, it is not as wholesome as the short stories, due to the elements mentioned above.

• Like 1