Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

My daughter requested spicy crab for her 14tg birthday, so we are at a place called the Boiling Crab. She ordered King Crab legs, my wife got snow crab legs, and I got shrimp. Trying to keep the cost down a bit. :p

• Like 3

I took my sister and her boyfriend out for sushi:

7MpzMMK.jpg

I got unagi temaki, which has rapidly become my favorite, and we got various other sushi to share. As an aside, I went cosplaying Mike Stoklasa:

SQqJivb.jpg

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

22 hours ago, LittleArmadillo0 said:

Been experimenting with pretzel making. The last few times they've tasted a little off but today I've gotten the perfect consistency of a crunchy brownish/gold crust to a fluffy inside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

From that title I was expecting something Sir Mixalot based, not an original.

(Also, fancy not knowing the difference between alkaloids (N containing complex organic compounds such as caffeine or morphine) and alkali (base compound in solution, ie lye). Sadly it seems like German scientific precision has deserted them as well)

Today is Cheese fondue day so its a good day of course, as usual  I use  my fondue book and cheese books to add an additional cheese to the traditional fondue recipe that in 85 % of cheese fondue recipes  has  to involve 2 of the following cheeses :Emmenthal, Gruyere and Appenzaller 

Today I am using Gruyere and Emmenthal and adding Gorgonzola....and its works adding a blue cheese normally so I will see how it is with Gorgonzola today 🧀

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My wife got sick on Mother's day so today I made her chicken noodle soup. I'd never made it completely* from scratch before so it was fun.

*okay, not completely. The chicken was 2 day old rotisserie and I did add a little Better Than Buillon because I didn't have enough "scraps" to make the broth chickeny enough.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

My wife got sick on Mother's day so today I made her chicken noodle soup. I'd never made it completely* from scratch before so it was fun.

*okay, not completely. The chicken was 2 day old rotisserie and I did add a little Better Than Buillon because I didn't have enough "scraps" to make the broth chickeny enough.

am one o' those nut jobs who always has a gallon o' chicken stock in the freezer.  however, IF am making a recipe which calls for a cup o' chicken stock, or something similar, we will use better then bullion, low sodium, w/o any guilt. better than bullion has a strong chicken flavour which we find appealing, but even the low sodium variety is a bit salty for us. 'course that just means you may reduce the salt you would typical add in the recipe, or dilute.

HA! Good Fun!

ps during the initial covid staple purchasing madness when items such as tp, beans and rice were nowhere to be found anywhere, we were unable to buy better than bullion 'less we wanted to pay comical high prices. this were what were at amazon, and am admitting it were kinda good, but even more salty than better than bullion. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.chefswarehouse.co.za/thali

It was one of my brothers birthday last night and we went to an amazing Indian restaurant called Thali . It was the best Indian restaurant I have ever been to. You dont get a menu but they serve 3 course meal per 2 people but what a gastronomic experience..I had some of the best Tandoori chicken ever  and courses like deep fried  Spinach with spices 

For those that enjoy fusion cuisine take a look at the photos 🍛

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Weekend means English breakfast time of course...today I have decided to have a semi-Vegan breakfast to try something different because one of my brothers is Vegan 

So I am cooking fried eggs, tomato, bacon,  pork sausage and hash browns ...you may be wondering " that doesnt sound Vegan" but its semi-Vegan because I am not having Chicken Livers so its a good effort as I am sure everyone will agree :dancing:

• Haha 1

John Milton 

My Cpt family is all away this weekend and I am not socializing with friends due to the potential and or real third wave so Im staying at home the whole weekend ....I have some good ideas for meal 

• Sirloin steak with roast potatoes tonight
  • Pork Belly tomorrow 
  • Homemade spaghetti bolognaise on Sunday  with lots of extra mince for other meals and to freeze for later 

🍛

• Like 1

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...

I made guac. Avocado, garlic, tomato, serrano pepper, bacon, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Preparing it fresh makes all the difference, it's exponentially better than anything premade at the store.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

8 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I made guac. Avocado, garlic, tomato, serrano pepper, bacon, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Preparing it fresh makes all the difference, it's exponentially better than anything premade at the store.

I love Guacamole, I have never made it fresh before....we  get such excellent semi-fresh Guac from a local food store I just  get that ..its delicious 

20210530_04073.jpg

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

A local grocery chain around here had buy 1 / get 2 free baby back ribs so Im about to go throw some on the grill. Low and slow ~300F for ~2 hours and some Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce at the end. Im already salivating just thinking about them. 😋

Cooking method is Beastie Boys approved.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Low and slow ~300F for ~2 hours

That's low and slow for yall? I do my ribs for at least 5 hours.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well yeah, what else would you want to cook ribs in?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

12 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Microwave :shifty:

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I grew some cucumbers in the garden. They’re almost ready. I’m going to try making pickles. Never done it before and good Lord are there a lot of recipes for it on the web

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

15 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

oven.

smoking is good, but out favorite ribs is actual coming outta the oven, 'cause we can braise 'em. we want the meat fall off the bone tender and the connective tissue fully gelatinized. cook the ribs 250 degrees in their own juices.

pre-treat your ribs with a dry rub and let 'em sit in the fridge overnight. next day, tight wrap ribs in foil and a bit o' liquid to create a braising effect. your braising fluid is essential and you need a fair amount o' heavy-duty foil for the braising envelope for your ribs. may try and finish the braised ribs on the grill, but they is gonna be fall-off-the-bone tender, so chances are broil is easier to manage. so start to finish, am ordinarily using the oven.

shady mentions pressure cooker and you may achieve same effect we mentioned in an instapot/pressure cooker much quicker and w/o the hassle o' getting the perfect foil envelope.

regardless, to our way o' thinking, braise is an ideal method for cooking tough meat with much connective tissue. braise requires wet heat.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I grew some cucumbers in the garden. They’re almost ready. I’m going to try making pickles. Never done it before and good Lord are there a lot of recipes for it on the web

In terms of pickle varieties, I'm partial to Ogórki Małosolne.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸