Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

Coconut water and a protein bar.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Lima Bean soup for dinner. And lunch tomorrow. And probably the day after that.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

"Healthy" Trucker Diet:

i26Phmf_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

:-

Sometimes your options are limited.

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

"Healthy" Trucker Diet:

:-

kinda looks like the foundation o' our dream diet.

add eggs and call it breakfast.

add a bun and condiments and then call it lunch.

add more sausage and call it a last meal.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

16 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I had to google "mambo sauce". Turns out it's extra sweet bbq sauce.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NBV3XB1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_MDZ0QYDK446K2G54JP7T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one I get. It tastes kind of like ketchup, hot sauce, and soy sauce mixed together but good. A sweet heat type BBQ sauce is a good comparison.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

am not too often using what could be recognizable as a barbecue sauce for our pulled pork. after low and slow barbeque, we pull the pork and then add a bit o' moisture back to our spicy pile o' pig meat. chicken stock, white wine, dates, roma tomatoes, garlic, cider vinegar and dark molasses is the constants, but what we eventual throw in the pot, simmer and then reduce is likely changing with each iteration. even after the reduction, our sauce is gonna be relative thin. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

kinda looks like the foundation o' our dream diet.

add eggs and call it breakfast.

add a bun and condiments and then call it lunch.

add more sausage and call it a last meal.

HA! Good Fun!

No buns because I'm trying to keep carbs at a minimum. Sometimes, I'll get the buns and feed em to the birds, but I didn't see any around and I hate wasting food.

As an aside, when I'm trying to keep carbs ultra low my go to snack is fried pork skins. It's similar enough to chips and cheese puffs in texture and crunch that I can fool my mouth and brain into thinking I'm eating a snack that would ordinarily be loaded with carbs.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

40 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

No buns because I'm trying to keep carbs at a minimum. Sometimes, I'll get the buns and feed em to the birds, but I didn't see any around and I hate wasting food.

As an aside, when I'm trying to keep carbs ultra low my go to snack is fried pork skins. It's similar enough to chips and cheese puffs in texture and crunch that I can fool my mouth and brain into thinking I'm eating a snack that would ordinarily be loaded with carbs.

am recognizing a low-carb diet is something we should consider. invariably we order a pizza and the urge to explore low-carb options vanishes at least temporarily.

that said, am admitted at least curious 'bout low car alternatives which ain't just some kinda cheese wrapped with bacon or a cheeseburger which is served to us in multiple layers o' lettuce but sans the bun. have seen numerous recipes which call for coconut flour.  the flour is not used as part o' crafting a bread substitute, but looks to be a staple for those recipes which call for a dredge before frying. maybe worth a look, right after we order a pizza.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Yeah, I can't think of any health scenario where it is healthier to eat fried pork skin than it is to eat a few carbs. :p

Compared to a bag of chips? I think compared to a bag of Cheetos or whatever pork rinds edge them out slightly. Still not something I'd do, because if I'm going to eat low carb or high fat there's options that are a bit healthier.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

46 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Yeah, I can't think of any health scenario where it is healthier to eat fried pork skin than it is to eat a few carbs. :p

I'm under no illusion that chicarrones are healthy, but they are completely devoid of carbs. Also, if you consider a typical bag of chips to have a few carbs then we have significantly different definitions of "a few". :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Some of the chicharrones I've had was like a year ago from Torchys where they were used as chips to go with some spicy queso. Now I want some tacos and some tequila. Yall are a bad influence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Made a pretty simple, yet very tasty chicken dish.

I pan-fried a chicken breast, and while it rested I made a dressing consisting of garlic, lemon juice and zest, with honey and olive oil. I then cut a spring onion into small pieces, and pan-fried them for 1-2mins in oil. Then mixed it in with the rest, and also added parsley.

Afterwards, I made delicate slices of the breast, and did a rustic sort of plating with lots of the green below and on top, and over that; lots and lots of parmesan.

As long as you get the right balance between lemon and honey, and don't mess up the chicken, it's a very simple, light and easy to make dish. I had some small potatoes on the side, but they weren't really necessary.

• Like 1

Speaking of unhealthy, making macaroni pie for my birthday.  Probably should try not using cheddar cheese to be honest, thing is so heavy that really can eat it just by itself, hah. 

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

21 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Crap. Now I want some cracklins, thanks.

Last night I grilled some salmon and potatoes

I am  huge fan of Central American food and especially their love and appreciation of pork, my favorite meat overall

I have watched numerous Bizarre Foods and Delicious Destinations tv shows with Andrew Zimmerman where he visits central America numerous times. The food stalls and food markets look amazing 

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/bizarre-foods/episodes/nicaragua

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

19 hours ago, Malcador said:

Speaking of unhealthy, making macaroni pie for my birthday.  Probably should try not using cheddar cheese to be honest, thing is so heavy that really can eat it just by itself, hah. 

I can't imagine a  milk sauce without cheese would be good.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:39 AM, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I can't imagine a  milk sauce without cheese would be good.

try a traditional béchamel and then add variations will result in nice alternatives to cheese.  we got a few acquaintances with cheese issues and our most common solution is we take our ordinary cheese recipes and replace with a soubise variant o' béchamel. you would be surprised how many times we does a béchamel and folks not experienced with cooking will ask what kinda cheese is in the sauce.

quasi related, but some folks is shocked that bolognese is pretty much a milk, stock, wine and meat sauce, and traditional has little or no tomato. cheese such as parmesan may be added, but is not part o' the sauce.

however, our personal preference skews towards finding a way to add more cheese as 'posed to removing.

HA! Good Fun!

12 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

try a traditional béchamel and then add variations will result in nice alternatives to cheese.  we got a few acquaintances with cheese issues and our most common solution is we take our ordinary cheese recipes and replace with a soubise variant o' béchamel. you would be surprised how many times we does a béchamel and folks not experienced with cooking will ask what kinda cheese is in the sauce.

quasi related, but some folks is shocked that bolognese is pretty much a milk, stock, wine and meat sauce, and traditional has little or no tomato. cheese such as parmesan may be added, but is not part o' the sauce.

however, our personal preference skews towards finding a way to add more cheese as 'posed to removing.

HA! Good Fun!

I suppose I should rephrase it as I can't imagine a dish being improved by removing the cheese, but admittedly I have no issues with cheese and have a special fondness for mac and cheese or similar baked dishes. For me, bechamel just comes up short if compared.

Bolognese can be surprising, especially if potential eaters believe pasta sauces begin and end with marinara and alfredo. But for my money the most surprising is spaghetti carbonara just being eggs, cheese, and bacon (maybe cooked with garlic) with no dairy besides the cheese.

Now I want some heavy pasta dishes. This thread is really a bad influence.

15 hours ago, Keyrock said:

"Healthy" Trucker Meal Deluxe:

FPfRsO4_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

But that honestly doesnt look unhealthy at all,  its looks like you have meat,bake-beans and mash and gravy, I am not sure what the white item is ?

What part of that meal would be considered unhealthy? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

14 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Cole slaw

Thats definitely healthy, nice lunch choices 🍲

John Milton