What you did Today: The Story of you

Amentep

Pickles experiment much more successful than those jalapenos.
Hubby thought he put too much garlic in them but I was all "no no, tastes good." Alas, he says he'll put a clove less garlic in next time. He likes more actual dill flavor (del monte), I like more garlic/spices flavors (claussen/delis). The 2 plants produce loads - he already took a jar of cukes to his client's office for ppl to take (as well as boxes of tomatoes). People there snap up anything that's left in the break/kitchen area in seconds, lol

cukes-01.jpg

cukes-25.jpg

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

post 2 (different topic 😜 )

C-pillar ended up dying. It was getting big too. :( I gave him/he ate one small leaf of store-bought parsley, thinking if it didn't mind that I'd have to feed him less dill. I rinsed the parsley off but maybe it had pesticides.  Oh well, whatever the reason, it was cute while it lasted.

cpillar-23.jpg

Hubby thinks I'm weird for getting "sad" over such a thing but a couple days later he found a new baby one and handed it over. It was really tiny. So I'm trying again. No store-bought parsley this time. It's already gotten much bigger. And if it doesn't survive all the way, then this morning I noticed ...

butterflyeggs-01.jpg

Put those eggs in a jar, maybe I can raise a whole plethora of swallowtail babies!

Also, the katydids are another insect that have been enjoying the garden.  Aphids and ant "farmers" seem to love dill and the long green bean plants so anything that likes to eat those as part of their diet are also running all over the place (ladybugs/larva). Jumping spiders abound here and there too. I spend an hour or two each day just sorta watching it all. Makes me feel like that kid with the insect jars in her windowsill again.

katydid-027a.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I stopped at a truck stop roughly on the border of Oklahoma and Arkansas to do my 10 hour break today. I went into said truck stop and the music in the main part of the store was playing fairly quietly, like at a 2 volume. I was too busy trying to reach the bathroom ASAP to pay attention to what was playing. Inside the men's room they had the music JAMMING, like at a 9. I got into a stall, planted my ass on the throne, and that's when I noticed that what was playing was the guitar solo from Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird. It was a live version to boot, so the guitar solo, instead of being 27 minutes long, probably lasted about an hour and a half. Anyway, it was at this point that I got a goofy smile on my face because I realized I was taking a **** listening to the song that was the butt of the joke about what song DJs would play on the radio when they had to go take a ****.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I  have a exciting weekend planned, really good friends of  mine are coming down to CPT  tonight from JHB because my friends wife is participating in a marathon on Sunday. So I am going to be chauffeuring them around for the weekend and basically being a good host. My plans so far are

• pick them up at the airport tonight at 11:30 pm and get them to there hotel. We will probably have one or 2 drinks just to welcome them to CPT
  • tomorrow I have various ideas and places we can visit but it will include farmers markets, bars and restaurants but it wont be a  late night for my friends wife
  • Sunday I pick them at about 4:30 am to get her to the race start-up area, her race will only finish at about 1 pm so my friend and I will do some additional sight seeing and then meet her later at the finish

Its going to be great seeing them again and I love being able to appreciate the social and festive  aspects of CPT 🍽️

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

cpillar-24-frown.jpg

....it was 2am and I finally noticed what was on the rear end of my small pet. My "poetry" skills are poor at this hour. :p

Also ... those eggs hatched. Sorry for sucky pic but they're like the size of pinheads. Couldn't even tell if they were alive at first. I was wrong and I guess they're ladybug larvae. Which is fine. I'll stick them back outside and they can try to compete with the ants for aphids. I'm not sure I feel like raising ladybugs at the moment.

cpillar-26.jpg

• Like 1

there is a company here, one of the largest in the country, that doesn't accept work applications. the only way to get hired is if you are recommended for a position by someone who already works there and is in good standing. the logic behind this hiring process is that if you get a recommendation, are hired and don't do your job right, not only are you fired but the one who recommended you also loses his good standing in the company (meaning no more chance of promotions or raises for a good while), so whoever makes a recommendation is very careful about who he recommends and the one who gets hired (usually a friend or relative) tries not to hurt the reputation of the one who helped him get the job. the fact that it also pays a higher than the average wage and that they only fire people* when they do something really nasty makes it a very coveted workplace.

all this intro was because my brother got a recommendation for a job there and it has the entire family in anxiety on whether they will hire him or not.

*unlike his previous work where they fired him, along with 80% of the department he was in, because a law was coming up that demanded the companies to pay workers what they were owed. a previous law, that was declared unconstitutional and illegal in court, allowed companies to underpay and the new law would not only delete the previous one but would also demand of companies to pay their workers the money that they withheld thanks to the deleted law. so a multi billion dollar international corporation, decided that giving the about 3000 euros they owed to each worker would hurt their profits and opted to just fire everyone non essential who was owed money before the law passed. according to a friend of my brother in accounting, that would have cost the company a little less than 4 million aka the profits of 10 days.

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

8 hours ago, teknoman2 said:

there is a company here, one of the largest in the country, that doesn't accept work applications. the only way to get hired is if you are recommended for a position by someone who already works there and is in good standing.

That sounds like the government 🤔

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

finally did it ... just now, little bit ago ... pre-made morning coffee, like usual, the night before, nothing out of the ordinary, trying to save time, as a night person, who abhors early morning, except this time failed to warn self was still nighttime and pushed the brew button immediately after, like you do, in the morning

All Stop. On Screen.

Headache, bored, foul mood because my bosses are being idiots. Again. Supposed to play DnD tonight, but really not in a mood. 

I think I'm going to have to buy a console, I've got TV's at work for the surveillance cameras, I can easilly move one of them to the other screen and hook up an xbox or similar. Or i could get an external harddrive/USB stick with something like Jagged Alliance and atleast have some proper entertainment.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

That sounds like the government 🤔

they say its the closest thing you can find to a government job in the private sector. from what i know about it, the company has very strict rules and requires serious commitment on the part of the employees, but the benefits of working there are worth it. the one who recommended my brother is an old coworker from his previous job with whom he had a very good relationship. he said that when he got married, the company gave him 10 days off for the honey moon and a month's salary as a wedding gift. when a rank and file employee is treated like that from the employer, he is much more inclined to work harder.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

6 hours ago, Amentep said:

Sounds like a cult. :shifty:

The company is definitely run by Satan

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 hours ago, Malcador said:

The company is definitely run by Satan

if i was running the company i would know it😉

-Teknoman2-

On 9/20/2019 at 3:25 AM, Azdeus said:

Headache, bored, foul mood because my bosses are being idiots. Again. Supposed to play DnD tonight, but really not in a mood. 

I think I'm going to have to buy a console, I've got TV's at work for the surveillance cameras, I can easilly move one of them to the other screen and hook up an xbox or similar. Or i could get an external harddrive/USB stick with something like Jagged Alliance and atleast have some proper entertainment.

:lol: The day I got my own office was the day gaming at work became a reality. Life was better after! Not that I ever seem to have time for such distractions. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

:lol: The day I got my own office was the day gaming at work became a reality. Life was better after! Not that I ever seem to have time for such distractions. 

Well, atleast you're not forced to sit by a desk for 7.5 hours each day and wait for stuff to happen. I'd gladly change for what you have right now ;)

I hate "working" and not having anything to do, my coworkers are jealous. A couple of weeks ago when I was forced to stay home a couple of days and one of the coworkers from the evening shift took over, she said it was the best week in months... it's possible we are extremely different people, but doing essentially nothing in months is awful.

On a more amusing note, the people that sevices our yard tractors got so tired of the boss that they gave me their contact information and told me to contact them directly instead of going through the proper channels. I've been told my boss only tells them "there's something wonky with our tractor,  can you come fix it?" and doesn't relay any of the information I tell her. I report the working hours of our tractors every week so that she can call for the service mechanic and plan ahead of time. She. Didn't. Undertstand. What. I. Was. Telling. Her...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Was taking out some trash very early morning today, and noticed how nice it was, so I decided to take a short walk. A few minutes later, I noticed that two creeps seemed to be following me around, decided to take a sudden turn into somebody's driveway and book it through their yard and hide around a corner there to see if they were actually following me. They were, though I wasn't able to discern exactly why. They reversed course back where they'd just been coming from once they realized they lost me after some looking around. This area has a problem with methheads and alcoholics, and I'm sure that it was a very early Sunday morning/very late Saturday night played into it. Guess I need to start bringing more than just a strong flashlight on walks now.

(e): wordz

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Was taking out some trash very early morning today, and noticed how nice it was, so I decided to take a short walk. A few minutes later, I noticed that two creeps seemed to be following me around, decided to take a sudden turn into somebody's driveway and book it through their yard and hide around a corner there to see if they were actually following me. They were, though I wasn't able to discern exactly why. They reversed course back where they'd just been coming from once they realized they lost me after some looking around. This area has a problem with methheads and alcoholics, and I'm sure that it was a very early Sunday morning/very late Saturday night played into it. Guess I need to start bringing more than just a strong flashlight on walks now.

(e): wordz

Three words for you: Concealed Carry Permit. Get one. A firearm is like a fire extinguisher. You will never need one until you need one. But when you need one you NEED one!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've spent the weekend trimming the trees and cutting, stacking, and drying the limbs for firewood. I also planted four pear trees in my back yard. The saplings were pretty expensive and a serious pain in the rear. The soil here is too loose so I dug out a planting trench and refilled with a mix of clay and loamy soil from my property up in Austin Peay. It takes three years before they are mature enough to bear fruit but they should bloom next summer. Can't wait. Going to cut more firewood today. It's starting to get cooler at last!

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I love fruit trees. When I lived in FL we had banana trees just free growing in the yard. My neighbor has apple tree that Im secretly jealous of, right up until it dumps a bazzilion apples into his yard. Also, theyre green apples (yuk!). 

I'd LOVE to plant apples but the soil chemistry is all wrong.  I hope I can keep these pear trees going. The doggone saplings were $70 each.

Thomas Sowell

I've been having an email conversation with the GM of a new group I intend to play with, getting to know her a bit, and she just told me that her triggers are sexual and being restrained. I'm an atheist, but.... Jeezuzz... :S

Decent but unmotivated mood this month. After a lifetime of being a semi-clean-freak I find myself slowly just not caring as much anymore. I find I'd rather do other things (even if it's nothing "important") than spend literally hours cleaning, dusting, washing, raking, organizing every week. I mean, I still care about it I suppose, just not enough to do anything about it most of the time. Pffft.

The 2nd caterpillar succeeded in turning into a chrysalis. It didn't like the sticks I had in the container (not tall enough maybe) so it ended up attaching to the top of the lid. I glance in a few times a day to check. Can't let it emerge and then be stuck in there too long, I'd feel cruel. :lol:

• Like 1