What you did Today: The Story of you

Amentep

mid-september, one o' our renters calls and tells us she is quitting her lease with 8 month remaining. we scramble to mitigate our losses and we get lucky. well, sorta lucky. talk to one o' our real estate friends and the real estate friend has a client whose mother needs a place by mid-october, but the mother is old and has a fixed income and will need daughter to cosign.

*shrug*

we have been significant undercharging the current renter, so continuing to leave a couple hundred bucks on the table each month for the next few years is disappointing but not a real issue for us. however, new renter is old enough such that she may only have a few years in her before she either needs go to an assisted care facility or... well, or. old persons fall. is the nature o' old persons. the rental property in question is a one-story but there is stairs on the back deck and stairs from the garage and stairs to get in front door, not that anybody in our community ever uses front doors save for picking up deliveries. regardless, we may need add handrails in bathroom and garage and at front door just to cover our asre.

is a 3 bedroom and 2 bath 1900 sqft home, and in our area that makes it a family home. such homes is ordinarily rented in late spring and summer so families may get little billy or cindy registered with the new school district before classes begins in august or september. october-february is a serious freaking dead period for family home rentals in the area in question, which is why we have such leases end no later than end o' may.  manage to get a new tenant in october with almost no vacancy? will take it even if is not optimal.

anywho, the exiting (deadbeat) tenant is complaining 'bout how much access we is demanding this last week. 

seeing as how we now have only 'til the 11th o' this month to get the place ready for the new tenant, (mid-october became an october 12 hard cap) am not thinking a bit o' access is unreasonable, particular as new tenant moving in gets current tenant off the hook for rent she owes 'tween now and may 31, 2020. deadbeat is also angry 'cause we reminded her that she agreed to have carpets be professionally cleaned 'pon end o' lease. we always demand professional clean carpets be covered by tenant if they have pets. curious, what pushed tenant over the edge is when we offered her paint to cover up the dozens o' glaring white spackle patches she left on walls to fix minor dings and scuffs and nail holes. told her she were responsible for such painting.

deadbeat tenant is abandoning a lease which we generous were allowing her to remain in (signed a 1-year extension this last may) in-spite o' her paying at least $400 below market rate per month.  she had a sob story and lives on a fixed income and Gromnir is a softy. nevertheless, talking to her, you would think we is a kushner-level slumlord.

aside: am wishing tenants in general wouldn't "help" by spackling every freaking nail hole. a reasonable number o' nail holes is ordinary wear and tear, but literal dozens o' spackle patches ranging from golfball size to basketball, is a whole 'nother issue. typical we remind tenants to leave nail holes untouched and focus efforts elsewhere, unless we is planning to repaint anyway. nevertheless, while the deadbeat is abandoning her lease and hasn't even pro-rate paid for october, she did go ahead and spackle every freaking nail hole and looks as if she were using a snow shovel instead o' a putty knife to get the job done. 

next year am selling our remaining properties.  

first world problems?  maybe. nevertheless,

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

miss storytime, how's the housekeeper ... still alive and reticent, hopefully ... did you keep the vehicle

can sympathize with the labor perspective; our daily for a long time was repairing the worst impulses of diy'ers and homeowners attempting to 'beautify' their property, although basketball-sized patches were rare and unwelcome

last year the Section 8 tenant down the street burned the place to the ground, now rebuilt -- says three bedrooms but the structure cannot be more than 1,000 sq. ft., no garage, with an asking rent of 2750 ... another reason we will never own a home down here

added some clouds today with a sponge to our electric work cart rooftop vista ... the sun was taken from the outline of a roll of masking tape and then cutting in the 'safety yellow' color by hand

chances of getting in trouble for defacing district property are ... unknown
cartroof.thumb.jpg.718df62f3b73d12078dd604a06875179.jpg

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

2 hours ago, ManifestedISO said:

miss storytime, how's the housekeeper ... still alive and reticent, hopefully ... did you keep the vehicle

housekeeper is official retired, though we do make sure to call her at least once every week or so and give her a chance to berate us for not going to church. am a catholic who volunteers for all kinda church stuff, but am only going to services for special occasions. former housekeeper is concerned 'bout our soul and am knowing she feels better if she has a chance to try and persuade us to attend at least every sunday service, and perhaps more. she is one o' those catholics who goes to church sunday as well as at least once during the week in addition to regular attendance o' her bible study group. if we sudden started showing up to church every sunday, am certain it would count as little more than a good start.

we cook for each other. am thinking Gromnir gets the better end o' the deal. still no cooking secrets learned.

the new/old buick is in the garage and is slow getting the attention it deserves. technical is driveable. barely. we only have two season in our area: 1) hot and dry; 2) less hot and less dry. our rainy season should be starting soon, which means we should wrap up most o' our outdoor home and yard improvement projects within the next couple weeks.  rain starts and the le sabre will get some tlc.

'course our yard is still a freaking mess... is embarrassing how much attention our yard needs. more first world problems, but we got a 1/3 acre golf course lot (more actual 'cause we landscaped common area) and am barely able to see any golf course from a first-floor window. the landscaping is more than a little overgrown.  our photinias is in the 18' height range and capable o' repelling ww2 era tanks trying to penetrate our suburban fortress. am genuine shocked our neighbours haven't complained. should work on the yard more. don't want to.

am approving o' your improvement to the cart, but am unlikely to be a role model for right and wrong for government enhancement projects. we were once chastised for encouraging kids in a juvenile hall where we worked to turn their oranges, a snack item which they typical threw in the garbage almost immediate after receiving, into juvenile hall jack o' lanterns. black marker, an orange and even the tiniest imagination can be combined to create a miniature approximation o' a traditional halloween decoration. one halloween, pretty much every kid in j-unit had a "jack o' lantern" sitting on their window ledges. the supervisors did not approve o' our sense o' whimsy. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

@Gromnir I know exactly how you feel when it comes to taking a loss on a rental. The entire two years I owned that townhouse in Bartlett is was a loss every month up until it sold. It's a bummer about the tenant though. I was exceedingly lucky in my two tenants. The problem you describe is exactly why I got out of the residential real estate business. You might look into agricultural land development. That is what I'm doing now and I've found it to be a pretty easy (albeit small) revenue stream. You are pretty close to North Cal, seems like there is a demand for it. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Every day, at the end of the workday, I send a compilation of irregularities, things that aren't in the computer system so that the people above me can add it in and make sure that everything is correct. Nothing has happened over the past months years, but I keep at it.

This morning one of my bosses sent me an email asking for a compilation of irregularities so they can add it to the computer system...

:bat::banghead:

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I need faster internet but it's hard to get hubby to move on it (he has specific requirements and I can't just up and change things myself). I mean it's fine for forums, wallpaper image sites, multiple video streaming at once etc. But I'm losing patience for waiting 45 minutes to download 10GB off of Steam. Especially when I think about how so many (big budget) games are bloating into 50, 100GB+. Yeah yeah, poor me. 

14 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

PG&E has taken down our power grid because of light winds and lawsuits, and I am dealing with an uncomfortable hemorhoid. Ugh. 

Hubby mentioned that the other day, how they've been warning "it could go out at any time!" He sees it as a type of threat/response disguised as "we're so concerned for you" noise.

No shut down up here yet. I was hoping if one doesn't live in a grid with a lot of open areas it woldn't be too likely to occur. Like, Morgan Hill/Gilroy might get it a lot in summers but downtown San Fran probably not often. Who knows tho. PG&E are really messed up these days. It's enough to want to invest 10k-20k (or whatever) in solar power.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You crazy people having children, seems like too much work :P

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Agreed, but then again, there are alot of people here with wives/girlfriends aswell, which boggles ones mind O.o'

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

6 hours ago, TrueNeutral said:

Man, I haven't had any time to hang out here in ages. What's up everyone?

Baby due in two months. I'm stressing out like crazy. :lol:

curious. our understanding is the serious stress begins after the birth... and then lasts more than 18 years in ordinary situations.

good luck.

HA! Good Fun!

Its a stunning day today so we going to the CPT Waterfront and a restaurant called Gibsons which is an American theme diner which specializes in Burgers and Ribs...they have an amazing burger selection and the view of the harbor is amazing and adds to the general atmosphere 🍔

https://gibsonsburgers.co.za/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, Hurlshot said:

PG&E has taken down our power grid because of light winds and lawsuits, and I am dealing with an uncomfortable hemorhoid. Ugh. 

People make fun of preppers. But they are the ones laughing now. Unless they had that second problem. Nothing funny about that.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Win10's Defender kept auto-deleting/not letting me copy over an .exe file it deemed dangerous and the only way I could find to make it stop  (simply, easily) was to blanket exempt all .exe's, not just that specific one. What idiocy.

• Hmmm 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

People make fun of preppers. But they are the ones laughing now. Unless they had that second problem. Nothing funny about that.

I do wish I had stocked up on Preparation H.

I figure we are always somewhat prepared for Doomsday with the RV.

8 hours ago, ManifestedISO said:

48hrs fingers still crossed, what did the vet say ...

They think it's an abscessed tooth but they won't know for sure until the 22nd when they put her under and then go in there and look around. At that point they'll either pull the tooth or biopsy the lump if it's not the tooth.

Free games updated 3/4/21

48 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I do wish I had stocked up on Preparation H.

I figure we are always somewhat prepared for Doomsday with the RV.

non-sequitur

is the rv diesel? go diesel.  is relative inexpensive to convert a diesel engine so that it runs on plant and animal-based oil. old cooking fat, suitably strained, is a perfect viable fuel, and the exhaust from your vehicle will smell like french fries. rendered human fats would work as well. as such, so as long as you are willing to murder-per-mile, your rv would never run outta fuel once doomsday cometh.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ShadySands said:

They think it's an abscessed tooth but they won't know for sure until the 22nd when they put her under and then go in there and look around. At that point they'll either pull the tooth or biopsy the lump if it's not the tooth.

okay well then crossing all digits 'til then

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

9 hours ago, ManifestedISO said:

okay well then crossing all digits 'til then

23 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Abscessed tooth sounds much more likely given the location. 

Thomas Sowell

I've been contemplating the idea of running a marathon, and if I did that, then I'd probably want to try and qualify for Boston. My regular running group has a bunch of people that qualified for Boston this year, and it has definitely been fun to watch them on that journey. But it is a pretty ambitious time for my age group. At 41, you need a 3:10 time to qualify, which is about a 7:15 mile pace. I can do that pace for a long time. I mean, with good conditions and a fairly flat road, I can hold that for a half marathon. But I've never actually run more than 15 miles, and I know it gets super hard to keep the pace going. Most people seem to hit a wall around mile 17-18, an again around mile 23. So yeah, just bouncing it around right now. I'd probably train for a year to get ready.

• Like 1