What you did Today: The Story of you

Amentep

Last week I got the flu*.

Felt miserable all last week, but also couldn't take time from work (already short two people).

Felt better over the weekend.

Unfortunately feeling better meant I could now fully appreciate how awful I felt.

Yay?

*not a scientific diagnosis

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, you're not dead.  There's that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Skimmed some short gameplay vids of the new Star Wars Jedi game. Too much action/modern tombraider-like platform-y - eg not really my bag - but that little tiny droid buddy is just TOO ADORABLE for words. Graphics looked ok but whenever the main/chr/you was running it looked comical enough I lol'd.

My vision feels like it's getting worse again. I keep switching between old glasses and newer glasses because the latter gives me more eyestrain with bright things (like TV/monitors or contrast-y situations) but clearer vision in dim light or something like driving - but the old ones give me less eyestrain overall but aren't quite as good for dim light/long distance. And ofc, the reading distance still sucks. Pretty soon I'll need 5 pairs of glasses - night pair, computing pair, daylight pair, admire mountains pair, reading, It's becoming (one) reason I game less and less, frankly. Desk distance, couch distance, doesn't matter, eyestrain city after a couple hours. PFFFFFFFFT.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Our last staff meeting of the year is today. After this we're on cruise control with nothing but occasional zoning variance requests, ground well permits, and small projects designed to keep us out of the office. Some of which may or may not be legitimate. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm jealous of both of you, the most pain in the arse season is upon us Black friday + christmas sales. It looks like it is going to be pretty much the same headache as last year.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Black Friday being a thing outside of the US sure is silly.  Next week will hopefully be calm as the markets slow down for the US holiday.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sitting in a jury duty summons room that looks a lot like a bus stop terminal. The nice thing is the courthouse is a few blocks away from my house, so no long druve to work. But if I get assigned to a case and it goes into my vacation next week, I will be miserable.

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Sitting in a jury duty summons room that looks a lot like a bus stop terminal. The nice thing is the courthouse is a few blocks away from my house, so no long druve to work. But if I get assigned to a case and it goes into my vacation next week, I will be miserable.

Don't get selected! I've found that erratic behavior usually does the trick. Conversations with invisible friends never fails.

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Don't get selected! I've found that erratic behavior usually does the trick. Conversations with invisible friends never fails.

tell 'em you are an attorney. is a functional get out of jury duty card. is no law which prohibits an attorney being part o' a jury, but you can guarantee either defense or prosecution or plaintiff will want you gone. keep in mind, only works if you are an attorney, and we do not recommend law school and passing bar just to get out o' jury duty.

today were weird for us. we saw our money guy at his office, which we do at least twice a year. the person handling our portfolio is relative new to us-- has only been last 2.5 years. previous advisor retired.

weirdness is 'cause the guy handling our dough frequent refers to us as "young man."  

"how have you been, young man?"

"have a seat, young man."

etc.

thought this were funny 'cause we estimated our advisor were in his late 40s, and Gromnir turned 50 this year. sure, when we go to ___________ 's office, we tend to dress down. no suits and expensive shoes. jeans. hoodie. hiking shoes. maybe casual makes us look a bit younger? a bit. 

didn't correct him the last couple years 'cause we were somewhat amused, but today we decided to question the, "young man" bit. pointed out how we were confident that we were near his age or even older. 

guy were shocked.  seemed to think Gromnir is thirtyish.

okie dokie.

other weirdness were when the advisor mentioned senator warren. we were expressing a desire to shift our portfolio away from so many tech-heavy offerings and also to get better representation from fixed term stuff. outta nowhere, money-guy opines how half our portfolio disintegrates if warren gets elected. bit o' hyperbole, but he has a point. doesn't stop with warren though. starts talking impeachment, presumable 'cause o' impact on markets. talks 'bout trump and due process and unfairness.

*sigh*

we made a minor correction on legal presumptions, but tried to mollify by observing how we believe there is zero chance senate would convict. w/o enough public support, too few republicans would flip at a senate trial. we were glad when the trump stuff ended. we had to work hard to talk down the guy sitting across the desk from us.  weird. have been able to avoid most similar nonsense in rl, but caught us off guard.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 hours ago, Gromnir said:

tell 'em you are an attorney. is a functional get out of jury duty card. is no law which prohibits an attorney being part o' a jury, but you can guarantee either defense or prosecution or plaintiff will want you gone. keep in mind, only works if you are an attorney, and we do not recommend law school and passing bar just to get out o' jury duty.

HA! Good Fun!

What does make a good juror? I am just curious. Most of them don't want to be there so I'd imagine spotting one that does and figuring out their angle would be high on the list of things to do in voire dire. But generally speaking, what are they looking for?

Thomas Sowell

Working on patent for an idea for a solar powered clothes dryer. It is essentially an aluminum frame box with opaque 8mm polycarbonate panels making up the walls and top. Something to pass heat but mitgate UV. The clothes are laid on steel rack a few inches over a tar coated aluminum, bottom. The tar is to absorb and radiate heat so there is thermal transmission both up and down. The idea is seal the unit and use an installed hand plunger to draw all the air out of the unit once the clothes are placed inside. As the solar heating builds up the water in the clothes evaporates. The evaporation elevates the pressure in the unit (which we depressurized before starting). Convection forces the water vapor (cooler) air to the bottom of the unit. At the lowest point the unit will have a spring loaded pressure relief that will open when the internal pressure builds up and vents the moisture laden air from the bottom of the unit.  

I think the theory is sound. 

Thomas Sowell

On 11/20/2019 at 7:05 PM, Guard Dog said:

Well the quality is terrible, but it's the best one on YT.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I was not selected. I would have been dismissed anyways because of the case details. The defense attorney excused about 7 potential jurors, so that was interesting. Nice to sit and watch for a day, but I was pretty unhappy about the idea of a week or two of that.

12 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

What does make a good juror? I am just curious. Most of them don't want to be there so I'd imagine spotting one that does and figuring out their angle would be high on the list of things to do in voire dire. But generally speaking, what are they looking for?

its gonna vary depending on the issue... but not so much the issue as the situation. 

admission: have mentioned previous on this board how the few times Gromnir were involved in a case where we had a jury selection expert (Con law issues, for the most part, do not get big budgets so weren't common for us to get help from juror experts)and our expectations 'bout who were ideal jurors were wrong a disturbing high percentage of the time. 

as often as not, the generalizations 'bout jurors and most important factors in selecting jurors, has nothing to do with issues being adjudicated. one o' the few generalizations which always were appropriate in our experience were mentioned by us earlier in the thread-- older women is tending to be critical o' younger women regardless o' whether the younger woman is plaintiff, defendant, attorney or judge. go figure. you got a case with a victim or plaintiff or pivotal witness is a young woman and have multiple older women on jury probable makes job tougher.

*shrug*

those jurors who will likely to be sympathetic to a particular defendant or plaintiff is important. how jurors see the attorneys or judge or others is usual more relevant than legal issues and evidence. 

but again, on this board we have lamented jury decision making multiple times over the years. get feedback from juries and discover that reason we lost case is 'cause client "squinted" too often or looked "uncomfortable" during trial. as often as not, those were the kinda responses we received. the "uncomfortable" example were a particular tough pill to swallow as the plaintiff in question were in literal agony sitting in chair for hours due to a back/neck problem, a problem which jury were aware. nevertheless, her shifting in chair and inability to stay complete still for hours made her look less reliable to jurors. we similar had sympathy for those govt. lawyers we typical faced who invariably came across as "mean" or "unpleasant." 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, I was surprised by how many potential jurors got some serious skeletons in their closets. I mean, people really kind of overshare when the judges and lawyers ask them questions. You can probably just say there was some drug abuse in your family without going into the exact details. Also, you can't judge a book by its cover, because some of these people looked very put together and were like, "I was arrested 5 times but never formally charged."

On 11/18/2019 at 9:38 AM, Amentep said:

Last week I got the flu*.

Felt miserable all last week, but also couldn't take time from work (already short two people).

Felt better over the weekend.

Unfortunately feeling better meant I could now fully appreciate how awful I felt.

Yay?

*not a scientific diagnosis

just noticed this.

am thinking we have all been where amentep were, and is so wrong. if you are feeling symptoms of flu or cold, you are contagious. 

36,000 people die in the US every year from flu. fact amentep don't know o' anybody who died after coming into contact with him is irrelevant, 'cause there can be many degrees o' separation 'tween him and some old man or young child who eventual caught his flu and then died. even if not die, he coulda' been responsible for multiple other folks becoming sick to varying degrees o' severity.

am not suggesting amentep killed somebody by coming to work sick, but he will never know if such happened and is a hardly a mathematical impossibility. 

again, we all do it. many o' us has or had old skool employers who expect us to come to work even if we are deathbed sick. we went ten years w/o ever having a sick day, and it sure weren't cause we were never suffering flu or worse. is terrible and stoopid and dangerous.

is a different issue, but similar kinda mentality, so am gonna note how concussions were viewed when we played high school and college sports, particular football. if you were tough, you would get back in game asap after a concussion. guy is vomiting and unsure where he is following a helmet-to-helmet hit. a couple plays later, the concussion victim who couldn't stand unaided or recall his own name is strapping on his helmet and back on the field, and fans and teammates alike is cheering the guy's toughness. 

wrong. shouldn't be applauded. sure, can appreciate the player's willingness to play hurt, but everybody else-- coaches and fans and announcers-- should be critical o' an obvious concussed player returning to field. 

flu season 

if you are symptomatic, stay home.

admitted, is ez for us to stay home now that we are retired.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

just noticed this.

am thinking we have all been where amentep were, and is so wrong. if you are feeling symptoms of flu or cold, you are contagious. 

36,000 people die in the US every year from flu. fact amentep don't know o' anybody who died after coming into contact with him is irrelevant, 'cause there can be many degrees o' separation 'tween him and some old man or young child who eventual caught his flu and then died. even if not die, he coulda' been responsible for multiple other folks becoming sick to varying degrees o' severity.

am not suggesting amentep killed somebody by coming to work sick, but he will never know if such happened and is a hardly a mathematical impossibility. 

again, we all do it. many o' us has or had old skool employers who expect us to come to work even if we are deathbed sick. we went ten years w/o ever having a sick day, and it sure weren't cause we were never suffering flu or worse. is terrible and stoopid and dangerous.

is a different issue, but similar kinda mentality, so am gonna note how concussions were viewed when we played high school and college sports, particular football. if you were tough, you would get back in game asap after a concussion. guy is vomiting and unsure where he is following a helmet-to-helmet hit. a couple plays later, the concussion victim who couldn't stand unaided or recall his own name is strapping on his helmet and back on the field, and fans and teammates alike is cheering the guy's toughness. 

wrong. shouldn't be applauded. sure, can appreciate the player's willingness to play hurt, but everybody else-- coaches and fans and announcers-- should be critical o' an obvious concussed player returning to field. 

flu season 

if you are symptomatic, stay home.

admitted, is ez for us to stay home now that we are retired.

HA! Good Fun!

When I worked in the sorting area around people, I would stay home as soon as I got even slightly ill, but now that I sit in what is basically my own little house with no contanct with people, I go to work no matter how I feel as long as I feel I can drive my personal car safely.

That said, once I moved from the sorting floor out to be a yard jockey, my rate of illness went way down - traded that in for constant workplace injuries and 1-2 months of sickleave from those each year instead. XD

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken