[BUG 4.1] AoE weapons no longer apply afflictions in an area

Boeroer

Question

Heyho my busy QA-crowd, ;)

we had this problem already a while back - then it got fixed. This time it's back - with a vengeance! ;)

All weapon with AoE capabilities (Whispers otEP, Citzal's Spirit Lance, Hand Mortar etc.) suddenly don't apply the effects of certain abilites (Crippling Strike: hobbled, Blinding Strike: blind, Stunning Surge: stun and so on) in an area anymore.

Since this was not mentioned in the patch notes (at least I didn't see it) I thought I should bring this to your attention.

Also because in this  thread where we talk about the problem it was reported that:

After doing some digging, I think this might be a bug.

Patch v4.1.0.0011 BETA introduced the WeaponAttackAbilityComponent.ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly to abilities.gamedatabundle. According to the Game Data Formats Documentation:

ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly - Boolean

If set, status effects will only be applied to the primary target of the weapon attack (if there is one).

"false"

I looked through attack abilities such as Crippling Strike and the like, and found all ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly were set to "false" by default, which is strange since that implies they should be applying as usual. Also, the devs haven't released the problem as a nerf, and as far as I'm aware, haven't commented on it yet.

Certain effects like dmg bonuses from Finishing Blow and lash from Flames of Devotion etc. still work with the AoE attack rolls.

Can you give us an info or two whether this is intended or not? Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I really hope it's not intended.

Being able to apply afflictions in AoE (e.g. Debilitating Strike, Confounding Blind, Withering Strike) with AoE weapons was a great feature that gave birth to extra character builds without threatening the balance.

Although I agree that some abilities could be examined on case-by-case basis. Especially those that deal damage, like Soul Annihilation. Applying SA damage to all enemies hit by an AoE damage was high enough boost, so the player would usually discard non-AoE weapon alternatives, limiting even more a not so variate playstyle. Sure it guts the Soulblade, but now at least he can get buffed to compensate for it.

• Like 4

I experimented with a modded version of Crippling Strike, which was made prior to the patch I mentioned: testing with "ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly":"false", "ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly":"true", and without the component all lead to the same result. I'm no expert on programming but I'm guessing the component might be having an issue connecting with something in the statuseffects.gamedatabundle - or this is a goose chase since the component doesn't seem to be doing much (Crippling Strike + Dual Mortars hit the same way each time).

For the sake of my Geomancer I hope this is a bug and not a feature.

Edited by Ophiuchus
  • Like 1

Hmm, I have made a quick test and it definitely looks like a bug to me.

For example:

- there are 2 adjacent Rotghasts

- my Mindstalker performs a Debilitating Strike with a "Fire in the Hole" blunderbuss:

25QwyPd.png

> If I target the left one: both rotghasts take damage, but only the left one is affected by Hobbled and Distracted: scr1

> If I target the right one: both rotghasts take damage, and BOTH are affected by Hobbled and Distracted: scr2

Amazing. And the funny thing: I can't so far replicate this with a rod (with modal on).

Edited by MaxQuest

Guess I might as well just kill Serafen then and dump his body in the sea along with his weapons...

> If I target the left one: both rotghasts take damage, but only the left one is affected by Hobbled and Distracted: scr1
> If I target the right one: both rotghasts take damage, and BOTH are affected by Hobbled and Distracted: scr2

Amazing. And the funny thing: I can't so far replicate this with a rod (with modal on).

Might this have something to do with Fire in the Hole's +1 ranged bounces? If the game is only applying effects on the initial hit (not the AoE), then it makes sense since attacking the target in back won't bounce to the one in front, but attacking the one in front will bounce to the one in back.

• Like 1

Looks more and more like a bug. It's bad though because I wanted to start a new playthrough with a rogue (this time) with mortars (again of course) but I don't want to unless I have clarification if my plans will work out (after a bugfix) or not (because it's a legit nerf). 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Oh, well, haven't been here for a while... 

A pity to see new problems with new turn based mode, wanted to give it a try but will hold a bit till it's polished.

Cheers.

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

Hurray, thank you for confirmation that this is indeed a bug.  Eagerly awaiting patch to continue playthrough with my rogue multiclass.

Agreed, although I'd have to respect the troll level if they went and "had this issue remedied" by updating the patch notes to reflect an additional balance change. 

• Like 1

Hurray, thank you for confirmation that this is indeed a bug.  Eagerly awaiting patch to continue playthrough with my rogue multiclass.

Agreed, although I'd have to respect the troll level if they went and "had this issue remedied" by updating the patch notes to reflect an additional balance change. 

Fixed a bug that causes status to not apply to weapons with area-of-effect attacks; reduced duration of such attacks by 99 percent.

Greetings Boeroer,

Our Dev's are aware of this issue and are in the process of having this issue remedied ASAP. In the meantime should you have any additional questions or concerns let us know!

Cheers.

Awesome! Thanks a lot Alex.