Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[BUG 4.1] AoE weapons no longer apply afflictions in an area

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Heyho my busy QA-crowd, ;)

we had this problem already a while back - then it got fixed. This time it's back - with a vengeance! ;)

All weapon with AoE capabilities (Whispers otEP, Citzal's Spirit Lance, Hand Mortar etc.) suddenly don't apply the effects of certain abilites (Crippling Strike: hobbled, Blinding Strike: blind, Stunning Surge: stun and so on) in an area anymore.

Since this was not mentioned in the patch notes (at least I didn't see it) I thought I should bring this to your attention.

Also because in this  thread where we talk about the problem it was reported that:

After doing some digging, I think this might be a bug.

Patch v4.1.0.0011 BETA introduced the WeaponAttackAbilityComponent.ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly to abilities.gamedatabundle. According to the Game Data Formats Documentation:

ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly - Boolean
If set, status effects will only be applied to the primary target of the weapon attack (if there is one).
"false"

I looked through attack abilities such as Crippling Strike and the like, and found all ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly were set to "false" by default, which is strange since that implies they should be applying as usual. Also, the devs haven't released the problem as a nerf, and as far as I'm aware, haven't commented on it yet.

Certain effects like dmg bonuses from Finishing Blow and lash from Flames of Devotion etc. still work with the AoE attack rolls.

Can you give us an info or two whether this is intended or not? Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Boeroer, 25 January 2019 - 11:26 PM.

• Enoch, Nail, TheMetaphysician and 2 others like this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2279 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I really hope it's not intended.

Being able to apply afflictions in AoE (e.g. Debilitating Strike, Confounding Blind, Withering Strike) with AoE weapons was a great feature that gave birth to extra character builds without threatening the balance.

Although I agree that some abilities could be examined on case-by-case basis. Especially those that deal damage, like Soul Annihilation. Applying SA damage to all enemies hit by an AoE damage was high enough boost, so the player would usually discard non-AoE weapon alternatives, limiting even more a not so variate playstyle. Sure it guts the Soulblade, but now at least he can get buffed to compensate for it.
  • Nail, thelee, TheMetaphysician and 1 other like this

hilfazer

hilfazer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 680 posts
My money is on intended change.

Ophiuchus

Ophiuchus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I experimented with a modded version of Crippling Strike, which was made prior to the patch I mentioned: testing with "ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly":"false", "ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly":"true", and without the component all lead to the same result. I'm no expert on programming but I'm guessing the component might be having an issue connecting with something in the statuseffects.gamedatabundle - or this is a goose chase since the component doesn't seem to be doing much (Crippling Strike + Dual Mortars hit the same way each time).

For the sake of my Geomancer I hope this is a bug and not a feature.

Edited by Ophiuchus, 26 January 2019 - 02:48 AM.

• MaxQuest likes this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2279 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hmm, I have made a quick test and it definitely looks like a bug to me.

For example:
- there are 2 adjacent Rotghasts
- my Mindstalker performs a Debilitating Strike with a "Fire in the Hole" blunderbuss:

25QwyPd.png

> If I target the left one: both rotghasts take damage, but only the left one is affected by Hobbled and Distracted: scr1
> If I target the right one: both rotghasts take damage, and BOTH are affected by Hobbled and Distracted: scr2

Amazing. And the funny thing: I can't so far replicate this with a rod (with modal on).

Edited by MaxQuest, 26 January 2019 - 08:15 AM.

DragonDrop

DragonDrop

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

Guess I might as well just kill Serafen then and dump his body in the sea along with his weapons...

> If I target the left one: both rotghasts take damage, but only the left one is affected by Hobbled and Distracted: scr1
> If I target the right one: both rotghasts take damage, and BOTH are affected by Hobbled and Distracted: scr2

Amazing. And the funny thing: I can't so far replicate this with a rod (with modal on).

Might this have something to do with Fire in the Hole's +1 ranged bounces? If the game is only applying effects on the initial hit (not the AoE), then it makes sense since attacking the target in back won't bounce to the one in front, but attacking the one in front will bounce to the one in back.

• MaxQuest likes this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2279 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Oh, that must be it. I've completely forgot about bounce enchant.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yes, it's the bounce.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Bump for the win!

DragonDrop

DragonDrop

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

If this is intended, I'll just stop playing the game altogether. Not only does it completely neuter my current team, but it also invalidates my next planned playthrough. Oh well, the DLC looked interesting enough, but there are other games.

• Ophiuchus likes this

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1439 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

If this is intended, I'll just stop playing the game altogether. Not only does it completely neuter my current team, but it also invalidates my next planned playthrough. Oh well, the DLC looked interesting enough, but there are other games.

Should be relatively straightforward to fix with a mod.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2279 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
^ But how?

Common sense points that ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly should be set to "false". But it is already "false".

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Looks more and more like a bug. It's bad though because I wanted to start a new playthrough with a rogue (this time) with mortars (again of course) but I don't want to unless I have clarification if my plans will work out (after a bugfix) or not (because it's a legit nerf). 

Edited by Boeroer, 27 January 2019 - 11:47 PM.

• MaxQuest and Ophiuchus like this

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Steam:Perebor
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Oh, well, haven't been here for a while... 

A pity to see new problems with new turn based mode, wanted to give it a try but will hold a bit till it's polished.

Cheers.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Buuumpybump since it's really annoying...

Ophiuchus

Ophiuchus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Ophiuchus need Rot Skulls plus Toxic Strike for RP goodness.

adragojlovic

adragojlovic

QA Tester

• Developers
  • 828 posts

Greetings Boeroer,

Our Dev's are aware of this issue and are in the process of having this issue remedied ASAP. In the meantime should you have any additional questions or concerns let us know!

Cheers. 

• Boeroer, MaxQuest, Ophiuchus and 2 others like this

drithius

drithius

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hurray, thank you for confirmation that this is indeed a bug.  Eagerly awaiting patch to continue playthrough with my rogue multiclass.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3136 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hurray, thank you for confirmation that this is indeed a bug.  Eagerly awaiting patch to continue playthrough with my rogue multiclass.

Agreed, although I'd have to respect the troll level if they went and "had this issue remedied" by updating the patch notes to reflect an additional balance change. 

• Ophiuchus likes this

Ophiuchus

Ophiuchus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Agreed, although I'd have to respect the troll level if they went and "had this issue remedied" by updating the patch notes to reflect an additional balance change. 

Fixed a bug that causes status to not apply to weapons with area-of-effect attacks; reduced duration of such attacks by 99 percent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users