Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The future of Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1489 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Deadfire is a masterpiece. Is the only game that can be considered the spiritual sucesor of BG2. Perhaps it has not reached a big community and microsoft is not interested in making a Po3 with simillar mechanics than PoE 1 and 2.
I hope a smaller team of Obsidian (the people who worked on DLC perhaps?) can harness the mechanics created and, with a smaller presupost, they can create a PoE3 or a new IE style game set in Eora.

If Deadfire didn't have so many shallow systems and insane bugs I'd agree with you. Imagine a game like Mass Effect 2 being released and the import completely not working and the final boss becoming invisible and unfightable.

shalow systems and then compare it to ME 2 ... ok I guess renegade or saint response leading to same outcome are such a peak of compexness xD

• Jozape likes this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2984 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
If Deadfire didn't have so many shallow systems and insane bugs I'd agree with you. Imagine a game like Mass Effect 2 being released and the import completely not working and the final boss becoming invisible and unfightable.

Chill out, the game still hasn't come out from early access ;)

I am even warming up toward the romances in my recent playthrough, when companions don't try to bed me a minute after being recruited. So far only one of them triggered and am deep into the game and have been conciosuly workign toward it... to the point of abusing infinite rep gain with Xoti to trigger it earlier. 

Clean up the bugs, and hopefuly patch ship2ship combat (please, let this new UI thing be an indication of things to come) and we are in a pretty darn good place now.

Murp

Murp

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Implying mass effect 2 isn't a buggy mess

bugarup

bugarup

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

While I'm all up for ****iing on the most overrated shooter of all times, it really wasn't that buggy on release, no? Which isn't that difficult when one is as...uncomplicated as ME2.  :devil:

Edited by Gorth, 05 February 2019 - 03:27 PM.
Circumventing word filter

merkmerk73

merkmerk73

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I desperately want another Pillars game and would crowdfund it again happily. I know Deadfire wasn't a smash success - but it will have legs. It will stick around on Steam and people will buy it and play it - because people are always picking up old RPGs on steam sales and whatnot, and it's such a brilliant game - really the best of its class.

I would just love to see how the devs iterated on the game again - learning from mistakes in Deadfire and improving on it for a third game.

For example, the third game would ideally be a hybrid between the first and second when it comes to exploration - Deadfire feels a little disjointed when you don't have those full map areas to explore like in the first game and there's so many one-and-done fights in very small scenes

However, the first game was a bit of a slog and didn't have the feeling of open world exploration that Deadfire had with the ship - so something in between would be brilliant.

Also, Deadfire solidified the setting - it doesn't feel like generic crap in the way that the Divinity setting does, and it really brought the world of Eora alive and out of the "this is just another new fantasy setting we made up for this indie crowdfunded game" that Pillars 1 had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users