Weird. Random. Interesting.

Amentep

“The department’s 2017 conclusory analysis that climate-related impacts from Keystone subsequently would prove inconsequential and its corresponding reliance on this conclusion as a centerpiece of its policy change required the department to provide a ‘reasoned explanation," Morris said, citing court precedent on similar policy changes.

“The department instead simply discarded prior factual findings related to climate change to support its course reversal.”

So if Im reading this correctly, an environmental "study" was concluded 2 years ago and determined the XL pipeline risk to be negligible. Now some random judge decided that the 2017 analysis wasn't enough and requires further "reasoned explanation". Why do "prior facts" supercede new findings?

Morris also ruled that the State Department’s conclusions about the pipeline’s impacts on endangered species need updating and that the agency may need to redo some cultural resource examinations along the pipeline’s route.

What, why? Are there new endangered animals or cultures there? Its been so long I suppose an entirely new evolutionary species could have formed?

I mean, these are all great sound bytes and we can all look around and pat each others backs but this bullpoop system of ours needs some severe checks and balances. Does any federal judge, anywhere, have the power to block anything, regardless of other findings, as long as they pretend to "need more info"? Why isn't there some final determiner of these cases so it does go on in perpetuity?

This sounds like the age old tradition of "I didn't like the conclusion of the study so run another study until you get me the conclusion I'm looking for."  Classic.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

“The department’s 2017 conclusory analysis that climate-related impacts from Keystone subsequently would prove inconsequential and its corresponding reliance on this conclusion as a centerpiece of its policy change required the department to provide a ‘reasoned explanation," Morris said, citing court precedent on similar policy changes.

“The department instead simply discarded prior factual findings related to climate change to support its course reversal.”

So if Im reading this correctly, an environmental "study" was concluded 2 years ago and determined the XL pipeline risk to be negligible. Now some random judge decided that the 2017 analysis wasn't enough and requires further "reasoned explanation". Why do "prior facts" supercede new findings?

Well he cites prior court precedent on similar policy change according to the article.  Not being a lawyer, or familiar with the precedent I don't know what it is, but if it does exist then there's something - theoretically - that is being looked for that isn't showing up in the government's documentation.

Or he's being an activist and subsequent legal action will reverse his decision.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Why I won't enter the WOTC contest and why you shouldn't either

There is an ad going around from Wizards of the Coast and Adobe tempting artists to enter a contest to win $5,000, get your monster cast as a mini, and win a trip to WOTC to meet (I’m assuming) Mike Mearls and a couple of the other lead 5E designers.

Sounds great doesn’t it? What struggling artist DOESN’T Want $5K and WOTC on their resume?

The Break Down

Before you scamper off to their site and start submitting your best work, let’s step back a minute and look at what this REALLY is. This is an ad campaign with a viral marketing element. WOTC is a multi-million-dollar branch of the billion dollar titan Hasbro. Adobe is the titan of the design software world.

For whatever little bit they put out to run their initial ads and the contest piece of this, which likely will run them about $10,000 total, has got them hundreds of thousands of dollars in free advertising. The contest has been run in Forbes, every nerd blog in the world, every social media platform, and RPG nerds are shoving the ad at one another with lightning speed. I’ve had two people tag me when posting it and one shared directly to my social media wall. (I love these people who did this – it’s ok)

Well done Adobe and WOTC, well done. The return on this ad run has been remarkable. In other words, their ROI is a super win before they even buy a plane ticket, hotel, and a $5,000 check for some shmo. All which will also get a ton more circulation about how “generous” they are.

So why not enter??

Contests generally are bad biz for artists. You are expected to put forth and usually completely give up finished work for the hopes of the “Big Prize”.

OK, so you’re willing to risk it. These companies have HUGE budgets and can easily pay artists to do this work, but you want to give them some for free. They SHOULD morally pay artists to do this work up front under contract. The detail legal rules of the contest are remarkably well hidden and near the entry button on the page.

What is clear is that they want you to use their general asset library as a base for the monsters. I suspect two things in this from the WOTC legal team – all works are derived from WOTC assets and therefore are derivative of WOTC property (Don’t try to publish them somewhere else). All submissions to the company become property of the company for them to do with as they like. They will be getting THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of FREE pieces of art and ideas from desperate artists for the price of ONE contract piece. The corporation will have a giant library of art and assets to pick and choose what they like. yes, they may pay for whatever they print out of that, but it’s not the right way to do things.

This would be completely unacceptable for a smaller company – and should be unacceptable for a large one. Somehow it’s “exciting” when you throw $5K and some ego petting from WOTC into the mix.

From the official rules

“All material submitted becomes the sole property of Sponsor and will not be returned. Usage of the Sponsor Files for any reason other than Entry is prohibited and could be subject to licensing fees and/or criminal prosecution. “

It’s not hurting anyone but me!

Isn’t it? Contests set a standard and an expectation for everyone else. It’s poor form for industry leaders to start setting this bar. If you ever want to become a professional artist, I beg you to not enter this contest. Soon, you’ll see “contests” opening up for $1,000 jobs, then $50 jobs. Why not? What publisher in their right mind WOULDN’T want 100 submissions of finished art they own all rights to made to their exact specs and have the luxury of choosing just one to pay for at their leisure?

I nearly entered this one myself because I thought it might be fun, and a little funny to show up at WOTC to meet some people I already knew. After sitting on the ad for a while, I certainly won’t enter because

• It’s unfair.
  • It’s an unethical move for a giant industry leader.
  • Contests like this are bad for our industry as a whole -as artists and RPG gamers.
  • These companies have PLENTY of resources to contract this art from artists.

And let’s face it, it’s not going to be a beginner artist that shines out of the many thousands of entries. This isn’t likely to be anyone’s “Big break”. This is a way for a corporate giant to take advantage of a hungry, poor, market for a truckload of free assets that will cut overhead for many future products.

I could even forgive this, and have forgiven this, of smaller indie companies who try it. But I also turn down those “offers” and I am vehemently turning this one down. Don’t do this to your fellow artists, don’t do it to yourself, don’t do it to the RPG industry.

No one asks 100 janitors to come clean their house and maybe they’ll pay the one they like best. If you are an artist hoping for a contract, this is NOT your big opportunity, I promise you that.

That’s my opinion, I welcome yours.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The only one I can think of is the entertainment industry with all its value mediums.

Pee-odor game, movie music albumn

Reserve tickets/seats at theater or concerto

And the like

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Like Sonic I can only think of one: sports. You buy the tickets before going. But really season tickets is what I'm thinking of because that is a real investments rather than a one off purchase. Home contractors usually want a deposit when material purchase is required. Other that than, can't think of any. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Its early here and Im still chugging my coffee, but can someone give me an example of a trade that gets paid in advance of delivering their service?

Assasin. Also renovators.

Which one are more scummy is up to debate.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well technically stuff ordered online is typically paid for before receiving. Always makes returns a bit of a pain. 

edit: Oh, and what about memberships? You pay for the gym before seeing any results, and looking at most people in the gyms, I'm not sure they are getting what they need. :p

Oh and wine memberships are pretty tricky, since you pay, then have to wait for them to release, and even then the bottles might not be aged well enough.

Edited by Hurlshot

You'd think assassins would get paid for a successful job rather than paid before. Though I suppose they might ask for some cash up front.

I'd suppose you'd also include everything funded with kickstarters, gofundmes, and stuff like that.

Exactly, I suppose payment up front isn't usually considered "paid" but technically it is. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wait, how do you guys know when an assassin is paid? Real life could be different from movies, but you seem sure...  :w00t:

Well you can find out things during trials, summer jobs, past events.

• Like 1

Its early here and Im still chugging my coffee, but can someone give me an example of a trade that gets paid in advance of delivering their service?

Assasin. Also renovators.

Which one are more scummy is up to debate.

Doesn't many government contracts get paid in advance? Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• Like 1