Weird. Random. Interesting.

Amentep

Wrong topic

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The US Navy is planning on releasing genetically engineered microorganisms into the ocean to become a "living sonar net". https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2018/12/us-military-genetically-engineering-new-life-forms-detect-enemy-subs/153200/?oref=d-river

Of course after a few decades of evolution we'll get:

Just-Waiting-On-Godzilla.jpg

The story just writes itself!  :lol:

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/canadian-radio-stations-baby-it-s-cold-outside-1.4931867

Canadian stations no longer playing 'Baby It's Cold Outside'.  This is good though, less Christmas music is always a good thing.

Hm...better start a campaign to get Rush off the airwaves.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sojourner Truth Project - Compare the Speeches

Finding out that Frances Dana Barker Gage, a white woman, rewrote Sojourner Truth’s famous speech to be more stereotypically “Southern slave” (complete with slurs and misspellings like dat, dere, dey) when Sojourner Truth was actually from New York and spoke only Dutch until she was almost ten and wouldn’t have actually sounded that way linguistically and decidedly did not use the phrase “Ain’t I A Woman?” at all is…whew. And on top of everything, she embellished details about Sojourner Truth’s life (like the number of children she had/how many of them were sold into slavery), wrote that ST said that she could take beatings like a man, and the reception of the speech in the room (she claims ST was called a n*gg*r, earlier accounts say the room was welcoming).

Accurate Version:

May I say a few words? I want to say a few words about this matter.

Compared with Gage's Version:

Well, chillen, whar dar’s so much racket dar must be som’ting out o’kilter.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/canadian-radio-stations-baby-it-s-cold-outside-1.4931867

Canadian stations no longer playing 'Baby It's Cold Outside'.  This is good though, less Christmas music is always a good thing.

I can't help but wonder if this is a case of lost context with respect to this song since most people are familiar with it from countless covers and not the original version in context of the movie it was in, Neptune's Daughter (not a Christmas movie, but it was a hit, as was the song). The movie has two couples singing the song, switching the parts between the men and women, and its clear for both couples the concern is what people will say, not in their not wanting to stay and canoodle.

Even more ironic is that "Baby It's Cold Outside" was a substitute song according to Esther Williams.  The Hayes office wouldn't approve "(I'd Like to Get You on a) Slow Boat to China" (supposedly they interpreted the "get" in a particular way).  When "Baby It's Cold Outside" was nominated for an Oscar, other songwriters protested as Frank Loesser had created the song for him and his wife to sing at parties, but as it'd never been professionally performed, the MPAAS allowed its nomination to continue.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I can't help but wonder if this is a case of lost context with respect to this song since most people are familiar with it from countless covers and not the original version in context of the movie it was in, Neptune's Daughter (not a Christmas movie, but it was a hit, as was the song). The movie has two couples singing the song, switching the parts between the men and women, and its clear for both couples the concern is what people will say, not in their not wanting to stay and canoodle.

Even more ironic is that "Baby It's Cold Outside" was a substitute song according to Esther Williams.  The Hayes office wouldn't approve "(I'd Like to Get You on a) Slow Boat to China" (supposedly they interpreted the "get" in a particular way).  When "Baby It's Cold Outside" was nominated for an Oscar, other songwriters protested as Frank Loesser had created the song for him and his wife to sing at parties, but as it'd never been professionally performed, the MPAAS allowed its nomination to continue.

That's the issue, more or less.  I never took the song to have the vibe people upset about it claim it has, always saw it as some elaborate dance.  But oh well, this is Canada, where they had banned Money for Nothing due to one line :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The more I hear about younger people the more I yearn for WW3...and I don't want to hear any ****ing complaints, like it is too extreme! Look deep inside yourself and ask this: Do I really want a future where these people rule?

WW3; cull these ****.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

And naturally you'll survive, right ? :p

• Like 1

Considering hearing their bullcrap makes me want to die, i'm cool with not living through it. Better than being and oldbag being carted around hospitals for exams and treatment, when the only thing left for me to do in life is die.

In all seriousness though, if WW3 broke out we would be ****ed if those are the quality of people that we get.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Considering hearing their bullcrap makes me want to die, i'm cool with not living through it. Better than being and oldbag being carted around hospitals for exams and treatment, when the only thing left for me to do in life is die.

In all seriousness though, if WW3 broke out we would be ****ed if those are the quality of people that we get.

Perhaps a yearly purge would be a safer option

• Like 1

First thing in life is to not listen to everything you hear. 

Nah, I figure that if the majority of people get military training then their requests will have something backing them. It would be hard to go against a population with military training, combat experience and access to guns. WW3 might be the thing we need to force the Fed to lower taxes, ideally we could get it nationalized again.

village_idiot.gif

Its the constant exposure and the kowtowing of media to their nonsense. If you had told me in the 2000's that within 10 years a bunch of special snowflakes and corporations would ruin every form of entertainment I wouldn't had believed it. 

****, I had to get a life that how bad its gotten.

village_idiot.gif

Nah, I figure that if the majority of people get military training then their requests will have something backing them. It would be hard to go against a population with military training, combat experience and access to guns. WW3 might be the thing we need to force the Fed to lower taxes, ideally we could get it nationalized again.

True enough. There would be a definite disparity between the haves and have not. How big of an asteroid would we need to wipe out the majority of the population?

"Believe nothing that you hear, and only one half that you see." - Poe

Raising generations believing that they are special and unique and whos opinion on every matter is important came back to haunt us?!?! I cant believe it!

Well, had meant it as in not sweating little stuff - but everything is a call to jihad these days.  Even my Youtube feed is getting overrun with some shouty dude (seems to always be a bearded one...) whining about SJWs ruining something or the other :lol: 

Its the constant exposure and the kowtowing of media to their nonsense. If you had told me in the 2000's that within 10 years a bunch of special snowflakes and corporations would ruin every form of entertainment I wouldn't had believed it. 

****, I had to get a life that how bad its gotten.

Eh, but at least save it for stuff that matters.  I'd definitely believe that my entertainment would be ruined in the 2000s - I saw my favourite genres die or get close to it (RTS, adventure, tactical shooter) and have always expect corporations to ruin everything after reading Neuromancer :p