Cinéma vérité - and all other types

Amentep

Hopefully someone pirates it so we can see it outside the UK :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've watched the Solo movie yesterday. It was not that bad, but felt so pointless. Kinda like all the new Star Wars movies (well, except The Last Jedi, this movie was just awful in every way possible).

What I never like about these origin movies is how everything you knew about the character(s) is somehow explained in the movie... but the movie is usually set in a very short span of time. That means, somehow everything that defines the character for you happens to them in a very short time.It just doesn't feel natural. Imagine you meet an influential older person and he tells you that everyone he knows and everything he does... he picked up in a one week field trip 20 years ago.

Also I don't know why that is, but I really don't like the most visible Game of Thrones actors outside anything but Game of Thrones. Not just Emilia Clarke, but also with that redhead from the new X-Men. Maybe they just can't convince me as good actors or something... dunno.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I am so sick of origins movies. The almost always are bad, they always have to hit the same key-moments for the character's development. Since they are setting up a character for a franchise, they all have to get them ready for what they need to become. I just hate it.

Maybe the films work for people with fresh eyes, but it's gotten to be point where I feel I'm wasting my life watching these derivative plot structures.

• Like 1

Also I don't know why that is, but I really don't like the most visible Game of Thrones actors outside anything but Game of Thrones. Not just Emilia Clarke, but also with that redhead from the new X-Men. Maybe they just can't convince me as good actors or something... dunno.

Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor has to be up there with the worst casting choices ever made.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Ant-Man and the Wasp made more a little more money theatrically than Ant-Man ($216,154,693 domestic/ $621,401,629 worldwide vs  $180,202,163 / $519,311,965) so I'm not sure it'd be considered not so successful.  Seems like the sequel had roughly the same level of interest from viewers as the original.

I would agree that from the perspective of the narrative, they didn't juggle the characters as well as in the first film. However there were a lot more characters fighting for screen time (all of the original cast + more Wasp because she's a bigger player + more Luis because people liked him first time around + Janet + Ghost + Goliath + the tech thieves double crossing the Pyms + the SHIELD agents/Jimmy Woo)

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yes, certainly its on the low end of the MCU as a whole in terms of box-office.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'll see it just to support India Eisley.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It's all part of the job, I don't think most people realize how many other actors/actresses were able to pull off such drastoc diet/weight changes (comparable to Bale) but they're there. Bale was just highlighted above the others for whatever reason.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

It's a moderately big deal when A-listers undergo such drastic body changes for a role

I'm sure a lot of actors have to "tighten up" and some will put on a few pounds but Bale takes things to another level

DXpFzhK.png

and I'm not a fan but I recognize the effort he puts into this stuff

Free games updated 3/4/21

I suppose that means that everyone would agree that if a lower budget indie film featured an actor/actress did the same exact thing as Bale, they still shouldn't receive the paise for doing such a "performance".

Since I've seen this state of reaction on variable before on multiple accounts, I just wanted to share an example of one person who is also able to put on/lose weight on demand, namely the newest one probably being Lily Collins, I wouldn't say that it's not possible to see films such as "To The Bone" go unnoticed because it lacks the common methodical press exposure. If nobody knows what I'm talking about, here is the trailer.

If you haven't seen the Netflix movie before, I recommend that you do. It's very good but it's an ultra low budget with even lower budget actors/actresses. Being based on a true story iirc.

When they cast Bale for Batman, the studio doubted he could build up enough muscle and insisted they had backup options. When he showed up he had actually built up too much muscle and he had to lose some. Christopher Nolan compared him to a bear. :lol:

I also recall many people comparing his transformation from The Machinist to Batman Begins at the time to De Niro's own from Taxi Driver to Raging Bull. Thing is, De Niro transformed himself for that role over the course of three years, Bale did so over the course of six months.

Also he says he's basically done with these extreme transformations now, as it's becoming harder and harder for him to do such things without seriously endangering his health.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I said it's more interesting when a more established actor does it. Reason being is that it's not healthy and they don't need to kill themselves because they've already made it. I never said it doesn't matter when lesser known actors do it. It's impressive dedication no matter who does it and I'm not knocking anyone as it's not a zero sum game.

Matt Damon offered to drop 30-40 pounds for the Martian but they went the CGI route instead which is probably for the best because his Courage Under Fire look was not smexy

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Well he is pretty old now, so that's more than likely the excuse. Besides that, everyone's body is different and handles such shock differently. Imagine the shock that the ody goes through years later in life, the negative symptoms aren't always bound to become visible within a year or two but it's all for the namesake of entertainment and making a living. Part of the job ad nothing more.

It's pretty strange, it was reportedly far more dangerous for Lily Collins as young as she is, for her transformation. Though the weight loss wasn't as extreme as a loss/gain ratio, it had to do with hormonal structure of a young female body. It does make sense, and that's why I'd say other actors/actresses deserve just as much credit but what do I know? Surely, I'm just a fellow forum member :p

Edited by SonicMage117

The biggest problem is probably all the chicken you have to eat all day long. For months you won't do anything else but eating chicken and train muscles. Sounds horrible to me.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The biggest problem is probably all the chicken you have to eat all day long. For months you won't do anything else but eating chicken and train muscles. Sounds horrible to me.

That's most of the actors under contract with Disney for the Marvel films. They are contractually obliged to keep the "heroic figures" because Disney has them on-call pretty much constantly while the contract lasts.

So huge amounts of boiled chicken and constant working out... I imagine Chris Evans can barely look at a chicken now he can eat what he wants.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The New Hellboy looks like it'll be better than the trash that was the first two.

This one looks to have vision at least, a supernatural/horror movie instead of a superhero/anti-hero story is exactly right. Add to that, Milla Jovavich as the female villain. Everything so far tells us this will be a REAL Hellboy movie. The Hellboy movie we always needed and still deserve.

The New Hellboy looks like it'll be better than the trash that was the first two.

Why do you feel the need to tear stuff down? It comes across as very negative. I'm excited about a new Hellboy as well, but I didn't like your post because of the negativity.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2